Oregon reaches out to Willie Taggart

dclenden

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

2 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

He got that offer well before we entered the Big East.

This, and it's a bit naive to equate the opportunities at USF and Alabama anyways. Yes, USF was briefly in a BCS conference before it fell apart, but the similarities end there.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

5 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

I wish coaches would at least be honest then, instead of giving us coach speak or "lies" about how much they like it here, how they are not looking to move, etc. etc.  Just man up and say that while this is a good opportunity for you, if a better one comes along, you will pursue it.  The end.  Enough of the charades and lies.

Unfortunately, that would kill recruiting.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

13 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

He got that offer well before we entered the Big East.

He was rumored to have been offered a contract twice by Alabama. The latter was in 07-08. 

Edit: I dug up when he was initially offered a contract, and apparently it was to replace Dennis Franchione at Alabama. Said Alabama team was dealing with NCAA sanctions and had some pretty 'meh', and actually a lousy season in recent memory. In other words, it was a dark time for Alabama. 

Kudos to CJL for sticking with his project at USF, and then later on when they were a BCS program (dream realized). 

Still, Taggart would be a moron not to leave USF for Oregon. There are NFL jobs less prestigious. 

Edited by keithroby

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

Taggart did the same sort of thing last year by taking the interview with South Carolina. While it sucks to know your significant other is having dates with another program, its not something he hasn't done before. 

At the very least, if we need to rebound, there's plenty of options for an attractive-up-and-comer such as ourselves. We look pretty good right now. 

Guest PCBull14
16 minutes ago, keithroby said:

Still, Taggart would be a moron not to leave USF for Oregon. There are NFL jobs less prestigious. 

You had me until this. 

Oregon is not the job it used to be. They have money, but Pac 12 is not what it used to be. Oregon will not dominate that conference easily anytime in the near future.

Only Willie knows what he wants to do. If he turns it down IF offered, then I'm sure reasons for existed.

Edited by PCBull14

• Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

47 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

I wish coaches would at least be honest then, instead of giving us coach speak or "lies" about how much they like it here, how they are not looking to move, etc. etc.  Just man up and say that while this is a good opportunity for you, if a better one comes along, you will pursue it.  The end.  Enough of the charades and lies.

You can't say that in public. Heck even look at your current job; would you openly tell all of your fellow employees, clients, colleagues that if there's a better job you're out? That's always a possibility, that's why people leave jobs. It's possible he lays down he lay of the land with Harlan, but you can't tell the players, coaches, boosters and fans that. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

48 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

I love my job, Jupiter and my life here.  But if someone called to say they'd double my salary, I'd owe it to myself and family to listen.  I'm a long time employee at my company and want to retire there.  And I'm very loyal.  But as BA said, my only 100% loyalty is to my wife & family.

I think Taggart would like to stay, but also is very ambitious and has a strong mentor in Harbaugh.  But you also have to recall that he certainly recalls just 14 months ago when so many were calling for him to be fired early in the season.  He knows the worm can turn.  He saw Stan Heath take us to the tourney, then get a fired a few years later.

That said:  my guess is Oregon can't afford to gamble on Taggart.  Not sure there's another gig open that he'd bolt for this year, frankly.

But, if he WAS going to leave, I'd rather it be now, as opposed to next December, when Mack, QF & DJ leave, and the new coach has to recruit in a year that could be challenging.  But again, I'd like him to stay, but if he bolts, maybe he takes Woodie, too (kidding!).

• Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

4 minutes ago, JupiterBull said:

I love my job, Jupiter and my life here.  But if someone called to say they'd double my salary, I'd owe it to myself and family to listen.  I'm a long time employee at my company and want to retire there.  And I'm very loyal.  But as BA said, my only 100% loyalty is to my wife & family.

I think Taggart would like to stay, but also is very ambitious and has a strong mentor in Harbaugh.  But you also have to recall that he certainly recalls just 14 months ago when so many were calling for him to be fired early in the season.  He knows the worm can turn.  He saw Stan Heath take us to the tourney, then get a fired a few years later.

That said:  my guess is Oregon can't afford to gamble on Taggart.  Not sure there's another gig open that he'd bolt for this year, frankly.

But, if he WAS going to leave, I'd rather it be now, as opposed to next December, when Mack, QF & DJ leave, and the new coach has to recruit in a year that could be challenging.  But again, I'd like him to stay, but if he bolts, maybe he takes Woodie, too (kidding!).

Yeah the one thing that still matters is family. In the same way; if I got offered to move to the other coast the first thing I would do was talk to my family. 

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  816
  • Days Won:  1

Just pay the man already. 

• Upvote 1