How do you increase attendance?

E.T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 minute ago, ArmyBull said:

Gotcha, yes, I have seen the ones you have posted.  It is my opinion that USF is unique and there are other available articles, studies, and the like that show a causal relationship between attendance and an OCS.  Further, the OCS talk goes way beyond empirical attendance data.  At the end of the day, not having one is a negative for USF.  Always will be, for many of the qualitative reasons I mentioned.  Attendance is really only part of the equation. 

I'm on the OCS bandwagon.  But, if having an OCS were as great as you say, you only have to look at our other sports, all of which have an OCS and some that are **** good and we still have attendance issues.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

Gentlemen, I fear it is not so much a case of not knowing - anecdotal evidence like a kid saying 'do we have a game today' - as it is more the case of not caring. It is impossible - if you care in the least little bit - not to be aware of the program (e.g. games, opponents, etc.). 

You can put gallon upon gallon of water in front of that horse, but you can't make him drink. It's the same here. If students are not showing up, it's because they don't care (and I dare say that there is no way to MAKE THEM CARE).  It's not for lack of information, it's lack of motivation.

Is there some way we could just meet at a Panera of Starbucks to hash these things out. This keyboarding is gonna give me carpal tunnel and I won't be able to sign donation checks.:FIREdevil:

Edited by WoolyBully
insert 'no'
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Just now, Apis Bull said:

I'm on the OCS bandwagon.  But, if having an OCS were as great as you say, you only have to look at our other sports, all of which have an OCS and some that are **** good and we still have attendance issues.

OCS's increase football attendance, but they've been proven to decrease attendance in every other sport.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

Just now, Apis Bull said:

Football, football, football, football.  An OCS for any other sport is almost irrelevant.  Basketball, yes, but not sucking is certainly part of the equation.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JTrue said:

OCS's increase football attendance, but they've been proven to decrease attendance in every other sport.

"What new stadiums have done for other programs

Recent history also suggests new stadiums do little to increase interest in football. Since 2000, 11 stadiums either on-campus or near-campus with the main purpose being to host Division I FBS college football games have been built. Attendance at these stadiums has been lower compared to college football as a whole.

The average percentage of capacity filled at the 11 newest stadiums in 2014 was about 73 percent. For all of college football it was 83 percent. Of the 11, two teams, Baylor and Stanford, had an average attendance that met 95 percent of capacity. Six teams were below 70 percent of capacity, and Akron and Florida Atlantic, with stadiums completed in 2009 and 2011, averaged about 31 percent capacity and 47 percent capacity last year, respectively."

http://billypenn.com/2015/08/27/why-temples-quest-for-a-stadium-on-campus-could-doom-its-football-ambition/

Of course at USF it would be different /sarcasm

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

Just now, JTrue said:

Posted a link in some other thread about the OCS in Charlotte. NIce little new stadium...but attendance is down from previous. Why? Shiny Object Syndrome.  I'd like an OCS - I'm just not gonna be the guy who says it's gonna bring in billions of dollars in revenue and trillions of dollars to the local hotels and quintillions of new jobs to the area. It'd be enjoyable and ours, and hopefully we get a nice one, but it may just treat symptoms more than constitute a cure. Could be! 

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,672
  • Days Won:  25

4 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

Gentlemen, I fear it is not so much a case of not knowing - anecdotal evidence like a kid saying 'do we have a game today' - as it is more the case of not caring. It is impossible - if you care in the least little bit - not to be aware of the program (e.g. games, opponents, etc.). 

You can put gallon upon gallon of water in front of that horse, but you can't make him drink. It's the same here. If students are not showing up, it's because they don't care (and I dare say that there is a way to MAKE THEM CARE).  It's not for lack of information, it's lack of motivation.

Is there some way we could just meet at a Panera of Starbucks to hash these things out. This keyboarding is gonna give me carpal tunnel and I won't be able to sign donation checks.:FIREdevil:

5 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

Unfortunately I have to agree with WoolyB. 

BUT! Maybe, just maybe, and OCS would help bring more attention to the campus, more alumni back to the campus, more visitors to the campus, and then simply more fans.

Absolutely true story:  At UCF last year, a 20 year season ticket holding, die hard USF football fan/alumni couple at the game with us, thought that those buses running around campus would be a good idea for USF.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828

Apis, I had hoped you would not have posted the Temple article.  There is so much wrong with it with a ton of other important missing variables.  It was written with the purpose of promoting an agenda.

70+ percent capacity for USF would be astonishing and that's what the new stadiums did for thier teams.  The 85% average used to show why 70% was oh so bad, is not fair and does not paint an accurate picture of individual program needs.  There is great info in this article about why an OCS is a good idea but it is simply shrouded in the negativity and misplaced statistics.  There is no way to broad stroke an OCS argument for every program in the country. 

Again, I want an OCS.  Clearly ever situation is different, and I agree that an OCS helps with the overall feel of gameday.  I'm just not convinced that it will help attendance.  One thing to remember, Ray Jay is easier to get to for most of the paying fans as it is more centrally located.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  418
  • Content Count:  3,184

Its not just football, every sport we suffer with attendance. I've been to baseball games where i have entire sections to myself and the place is not that big. Its the same problem throughout the area, its why the Rays suffer, MLS doesn't succeed and rayjay is empty as soon as the Bucs falter. A lower % of the pop is born and raised here than in other places. Kids arent brought up to love USF like they are to love Michigan or Kansas or Texas in those areas. Transient populations don't really care or there loyalties lie with the area they left. My 2 cents.

• Upvote 1