No "OC" Hire Yet . . .

E.T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

You're many weeks from announcing.  University/state hiring process takes too long.

I don't think that athletics is fully required to follow all that stuff since it is technically a separate entity...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• E.T.

• lotsofbull99

• smazza

• Unintelligibull

Guest Unregistered Opinion

I don't think that athletics is fully required to follow all that stuff since it is technically a separate entity...

The job announcement closes on 5/02/05....then committee narrows candidate  pool to a few finalists, then interviews, then selection.  I believe your AD was hired in this manner with the exception that you hired a consultant to screen/recommend candidates.  They then applied and a committee was formed, yada, yada, yada.  To become a permnant or "regular" employee in the SUS, you must go through a search.  You can be appointed to a position but you're designated as "visiting" or "interim" for one year only and then a search is required.

UCF hired Orsini the same way.  He then spun off athletics as a seperate non-profit entity to be able to bypass these types of state hiring procedures and purchasing/contract procedures.

FYI...not intended as a flame.  I'm just very critical of the very cumbersome SUS employment procedures.  I have to deal with them daily.

FWIW...if JL has a candidate in mind (and I'm sure he does) they can speed up the committee work and announce the new coach the 2nd week in May.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

In an effort to save Money JL has elected to wait tell the release of NCAA 2006 in July so that he can use the coach mode to call the plays for each game.

So he's effectively "hiring" lee corso?  Interesting.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

So he's effectively "hiring" lee corso?  Interesting.

The Sunshine Scooter always has the right play call

Guest More Thoughts

The job announcement closes on 5/02/05....then committee narrows candidate  pool to a few finalists, then interviews, then selection.  I believe your AD was hired in this manner with the exception that you hired a consultant to screen/recommend candidates.  They then applied and a committee was formed, yada, yada, yada.  To become a permnant or "regular" employee in the SUS, you must go through a search.  You can be appointed to a position but you're designated as "visiting" or "interim" for one year only and then a search is required.

UCF hired Orsini the same way.  He then spun off athletics as a seperate non-profit entity to be able to bypass these types of state hiring procedures and purchasing/contract procedures.

FYI...not intended as a flame.  I'm just very critical of the very cumbersome SUS employment procedures.  I have to deal with them daily.

FWIW...if JL has a candidate in mind (and I'm sure he does) they can speed up the committee work and announce the new coach the 2nd week in May.

Athletics is usually separate in terms of the hiring practice- they are autonomous from the University, and depending on who's hired this may not even fall under the Athletic Department's role because Leavitt has power over hiring and a discretionary fund/account for this very purpose- in his last contract.

Also, the offense will not change from what was presented in the spring.   This is the style of offense Coach Leavitt prefers.   Expect a promotion and GA, or positional coach hiring.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  490

... & don't remember about Chico Canales . . .

Chico is out here with me in Arizona as is Wolford Stoops and Patullo.  

http://www.arizonaathletics.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1600&KEY=&SPID=516&SPSID=8100

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,799
  • Content Count:  38,289
  • Days Won:  29

That's right .. THANX

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

speaking of coaches, what are the chances of bringing Glen Gauntt back to coach QBs?