Mr. Brent Schaeffer

Guest Harvey Jones

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,043
  • Content Count:  7,613
  • Days Won:  10

The center of it all is from VolQuest's article where they insinuated the following:

Schaeffer made news most recently for getting into a fight at Clement Hall in the early morning hours of Sunday. Schaeffer had also made off the field news for his struggles in the classroom particularly with attending classes as well as being repeatedly late for meetings, and missing meetings.

Now here's where it doesn't make a bit of sense.  First, Brent came to UT and was the starter, he was on the sideline all year after his injury right next to the OC and Fulmer.  Once spring practice started he was running with the #1's at QB, and partially at receiver and returner.  No one ever insinuated a grade issue, and missing meetings until AFTER the kid has decided to transfer.

Weird, for a kid that has so much trouble with school he was getting good grades, and is finishing out the semester.  Furthermore, if this kid was so troublesome about meeting then why in the hell does he immediately start spring practice as the #1B QB?   Odd, you'd expect an immediate demotion.  Could it have been that as the spring wore on and Phil Foolmer subtly tried to work Brent with the KR's, and receivers, and slowly gave Ainge and even Clausen more reps with the #1's then Brent that maybe Brent started questioning the motives, and possibly his attitude changed a bit.  Quit have been after Brent told Phil the first time in the middle of spring practice about his desire to transfer and Foolmer told him to stick it out-- odd from a guy that's such a troublemaker.

It wasn't until this incident, which was after he was expected to announce a transfer, that suddenly people from Knoxville try to villify this kid.

Most schools keep a guy as the #1B QB heading into the spring when they're troublemakers-- yeah right Foolmer.

Good points, Steve.

We had a few potential starting players sit Spring out trying to get their grades up.  I guess as long as you're a starter at UT, that's not an issue.

Not knowing the specifics, the part about missing meetings may have been recent, related to his dissatisfaction with UT.  Not that it's excusable, however, but I'm sure the motivation wasn't there if he knew he'd be going elsewhere.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Papa_Bull

• Velcro

• beastiebull

• BullDoug

Guest S.  Bien

Good points, Steve.

We had a few potential starting players sit Spring out trying to get their grades up.  I guess as long as you're a starter at UT, that's not an issue.

Not knowing the specifics, the part about missing meetings may have been recent, related to his dissatisfaction with UT.  Not that it's excusable, however, but I'm sure the motivation wasn't there if he knew he'd be going elsewhere.

That's my point, because up until he decided to transfer UT and Foolmer were treating him like a star, and talking highly of him in practice reports.  No mention of issues, or rumors just about his athleticism, he's looked good at QB, and returning some kicks.  When did the missing meetings take place?  Was it after his first discussion to transfer?  Foolmer was trying to be a slickster and subtly move this kid to WR, while still trying to make him feel like he had a shot at QB.  Well he was about as subtle as a teenager cranking a stereo at 4AM.  Brent saw right through it, and asked for a transfer early in the spring.

Foolmer asked him to stick it out, he did for a while, but as things became more obvious I imagine Brent's attitude, and attention also waned.  The legal matters are one thing, but throwing these petty insinuations in an article are downright cheap shots.  The kid missed a few classes, says who?  It didn't seem to bother Phil who had him running almost entirely with the #1's, now it bothers him once the kid decides to transfer.  In fact, the first time the kid asked to transfer, Foolmer begged him to reconsider, didn't bother him then either.  But nowit bothers him, or shall I say the Vols faithful.  Nevermind that Brent was/is in good academic standing and is set to complete all his classwork this spring.

The legal thing is an issue, but that Volquest report wasn't fair or necessary.  Also, to determine whether those were issues I'd like to know when the missed classes or meetings occurred.  If they occurred after Brent started contemplating transfer then it's no big deal- a lot of decisions to make.  If they've been occurring for months, and include last fall then I'd like to know why Phil Foolmer didn't address them then, and why he continued to praise Brent and allow him to run with the first team.

Guest Harvey Jones

Bottom line...we should have all guns blazing to get this kid.  There isn't a player in our program that can touch this kids talent.  The schools that will be involved with Brent are as follows.

USF - Favorite

UCF

G. Tech

FAU - Longshot

Marshall

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

UCF is on the UT schedule according to some UCFers so he wont be allowed to transfer there

it will be interesting to see how many of our QB's stick around if/when he comes here

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

well i dont' think denson is going anywhere... he's already transferred once, he'd transfer himself right out of eligibility unless he went down.

I don't think grothe is going anywhere... as i think he'll be ready to take on all comers.   Hill probably will end up at Wide Out anyway this year, i don't think another QB would change that.

yeah i basically meant Hill, I dont know if he has the "denson" complex or not....  he wants to play QB and will transfer to a place that will let him instead of staying and switching positions

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

UCF is on the UT schedule according to some UCFers so he wont be allowed to transfer there

They're not, but there's no rule like that anyway.

i believe they said they were in like 2008 or something

there is no official rule, but the school you are transferring from must grant you a release to the new school and they will not grant releases to schools in the same conference, rivals or future competition in most cases

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

i believe they said they were in like 2008 or something

there is no official rule, but the school you are transferring from must grant you a release to the new school and they will not grant releases to schools in the same conference, rivals or future competition in most cases

The news article said that was a stipulation required by Fulmer for BS to get the release - not to a school that UT plays during his remaining years of eligibility (2005 - 2008).

Personally, I like the options with him here.-- we wouldn't need to recruit another QB until 2007 or even 2008: (* = redshirt)

2005: PJ, CD, AS, CH, MG*

2006: PJ, CD, AS, CH, MG, BS

2007: CD, AS, CH, MG, BS

2008: CH, MG, BS

2009: MG

Even if CH moves to another position or transfers, we still will have some solid talent at QB for the next few seasons.

Modified because I had CD with 4 years left. Forgot he only had 3.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Denson (CD) only has 3 yrs eligibility...I think...therefore I am