Need A Signature Win

usfgrad84

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,741
  • Days Won:  14

Would love to do both - beat FSU and win the conference - but if I have to pick one, I'd rather win our conference. 

It would be a major upset, obviously. I'm concerned that we seem to live and die on big plays downfield. FSU won't allow them, at least not as many as Towson and NIU allowed. So we'll need a ball-control offense with Mack and an efficient, short passing game - to date our apparent weakness.

• Upvote 1

Guest PCBull14
3 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Would love to do both - beat FSU and win the conference - but if I have to pick one, I'd rather win our conference. 

It would be a major upset, obviously. I'm concerned that we seem to live and die on big plays downfield. FSU won't allow them, at least not as many as Towson and NIU allowed. So we'll need a ball-control offense with Mack and an efficient, short passing game - to date our apparent weakness.

I do not agree with this at all. We don't live and die by the big play down the field and our offense is not designed to play ball control.If we get a lead lake you'll see the tempo slow down, but playing FSU is not going to force the shots down the field go away. We have the athletes and we'll use them. I agree we will need a few more short completions, but we can win without them as well but will be tough. The main thing we need is for guys to hang on to the ball. Drops will kill us vs. FSU. 

• Content Count:  10,267
  • Days Won:  2

The thing with FSU in games they trail at the half the coaching staff is really good at adjustments.  I would almost in second half catch them off guard and go to a diferent style of play on offense, they wouldn't see that comming.

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  3,741
  • Days Won:  14

10 minutes ago, PCBull14 said:

I do not agree with this at all. We don't live and die by the big play down the field and our offense is not designed to play ball control.If we get a lead lake you'll see the tempo slow down, but playing FSU is not going to force the shots down the field go away. We have the athletes and we'll use them. I agree we will need a few more short completions, but we can win without them as well but will be tough. The main thing we need is for guys to hang on to the ball. Drops will kill us vs. FSU. 

Maybe we watched different games, but I don't recall seeing lots of long drives that churned up clock. I do recall seeing lots of long pass completions.

My point is that we won't have the long completions, so Q had better improve his 5-10 yard passing game.  Coach Shaun King was beside himself frustrated with those inaccurate short passes.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

It will only become the biggest ever unless we win. Otherwise it gets put in the dumpster with all the other losses. Personally, I do not believe it to be the most important game ever. We need to be winning conference championships and this has nothing to do with conference championships.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,775
  • Content Count:  38,037
  • Days Won:  29

FSU is our only potential signature opponent this regular season.

Other possibility would be Houston in the Championship game or a Bowl team.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

13 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

FSU being the biggest this year, or in the history of the program? Notre Dame...Auburn...it's hard to say given that these are upsets over powerful programs. And if USF loses to FSU, as expected, it's just another Saturday. If not, it could be the 'signature win' of the season.

It's entirely possible FSU rolls into town as the #1 team in the nation. If that happens and we beat them, it most certainly is the biggest and most signature (is that really a phrase?) win in school history.  And I agree with the assessment if we lose - just another Saturday, a loss to #1 as expected by everybody but the most optimistic Bulls fans

• Topic Count:  113
  • Content Count:  22,205
  • Days Won:  48

43 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

It's entirely possible FSU rolls into town as the #1 team in the nation. If that happens and we beat them, it most certainly is the biggest and most signature (is that really a phrase?) win in school history.  And I agree with the assessment if we lose - just another Saturday, a loss to #1 as expected by everybody but the most optimistic Bulls fans

I like our chances this time. Hopefully the secondary isn't bouncing off their RB this year.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,639
  • Content Count:  75,711
  • Days Won:  436

8 hours ago, Triple B said:

Ever? I'm just not seeing it. It's a huge game obviously for this year but reality is, we've already beaten them once and if we do win, we'll probably "just" move into the top 20, which is freaking awesome everything considered but nothing there says "biggest game ever" to me ....

5 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

I say ever!  At least to this point. 

The WVU game in '07 was to that point. Launched us to bigger and better things. Ultimately we squandered what that opportunity afforded us. 

Just putting up points, but not beating any high profile teams is meaningless in the bigger scheme of things. All it does it puts into the same category that Memphis or ECU was for the last couple of years. Beat the # 2 team puts us back on the national radar. Then the have to keep winning without falling flat on their faces like we did against Rutgers. 

It is the biggest game, but not a must win.  There will be another opportunity for the "biggest game" if we can get to the Conference Championship Game.  

In my opinion the "biggest game ever" is a moving target.  Depends in what opportunity the game presents.

Like most everything on here, it depends on one's perspective. Playing a game with the chance to stay in the top 5, possibly even hit #1, is a far greater opportunity than what the FSU game represents (sorry MMW, IMO, this game will have little, if any, bearing on the B12 decision). The FSU game would definitely qualify as our top signature win up to this point, though, if they take care of L'ville.

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

4 hours ago, Bulls On Parade said:

The thing with FSU in games they trail at the half the coaching staff is really good at adjustments.  I would almost in second half catch them off guard and go to a diferent style of play on offense, they wouldn't see that comming.

Come out right-handed... Rocky style!!!