My take from the game.

E.T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  216
  • Content Count:  1,779
  • Days Won:  0

52 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Flowers is a slow starter in general it seems..last year it took awhile for him to get into a rhythm. He should look better vs niu.

I think this is a good excuse but overall this is inexcusable. He played in all 13 games last year and took first team snaps in preparation for the 2016 season. He must and should be better throwing the ball.  

With all the talent at WR, TE and RB the passing game is crucial for USF to really take a step forward.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,275
  • Days Won:  2

27 minutes ago, Blackice12 said:

I think this is a good excuse but overall this is inexcusable. He played in all 13 games last year and took first team snaps in preparation for the 2016 season. He must and should be better throwing the ball.  

With all the talent at WR, TE and RB the passing game is crucial for USF to really take a step forward.

I would like to see Flowers develop the intermediate passing game...that takes this offense to elite level if we get that.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, Blackice12 said:

It just cracks me up that one of the best qbs in USF history is a hack according to some of you it seems lmbo. It's all good he'll get it together because we all know he isn't perfect. Just feels like some rarely have a positive thing to say. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,532
  • Days Won:  24

8 minutes ago, TromBull12 said:

It just cracks me up that one of the best qbs in USF history is a hack according to some of you it seems lmbo. It's all good he'll get it together because we all know he isn't perfect. Just feels like some rarely have a positive thing to say. 

If he was even average at throwing the seam passes there would be few teams that could stop this offense.  As it is, teams will stack the box because he simply can't throw certain passes.   That will be good enough against most teams, but not good enough against the best teams.

Maybe you are ok with 8 or 9 wins.  I'd like more, and I think it will be quite difficult to take that next step with QF missing open receivers all over the field.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,575

6 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

If he was even average at throwing the seam passes there would be few teams that could stop this offense.  As it is, teams will stack the box because he simply can't throw certain passes.   That will be good enough against most teams, but not good enough against the best teams.

Maybe you are ok with 8 or 9 wins.  I'd like more, and I think it will be quite difficult to take that next step with QF missing open receivers all over the field.

very well said.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Thought flowers really struggled last night. His passing had me worried all offseason and was the only reason I saw it as an open competition in camp. His a great playmaker but my fear is still there that he can't win games by having to pass if the run is taken away.

Kean on the other hand looked solid. Excellent velocity and good accuracy. Certainly a good backup option if ever needed. He reminds me of a white Bj Daniels.

Really worried about our DL. Tackles seemed fine but the ends didnt get enough pressure for my liking. Idk if that was scheme related or what. Who knows maybe their QB was a good mobile guy and they played contain.

Special teams omg. Special in all the wrong ways. Kick coverage was terrible, kickoffs short and punts were bad too. Can we trade for Towson punter? Hopefully Nadelman is improved at FGs this year, other wise that is a major concern. 

All in all I thought it was a pretty solid game. Everything can be corrected outside of pass rush if the talent isn't there. Promising start and I think we beat NIU next week. 2-0 would be an awesome start going into Syracuse. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,275

5 minutes ago, deters- said:

Really worried about our DL. Tackles seemed fine but the ends didnt get enough pressure for my liking. Idk if that was scheme related or what. Who knows maybe their QB was a good mobile guy and they played contain.

Like pre game show said the Towson qb was 4th rated dual threat qb out of hs but they had no tape on kid...had to watch hs games. I think playing contain was playing it safe and smart. 

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Like pre game show said the Towson qb was 4th rated dual threat qb out of hs but they had no tape on kid...had to watch hs games. I think playing contain was playing it safe and smart. 

Thanks. Didn't catch pregame show so didn't know this. Certainly makes sense now why we probably didn't get the pressures I was expecting.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Sure seems like a lot of worry after a game we put a pretty good FCS team away handily by the 2nd drive of the 3rd quarter. 

I think our defense only gave up one sustained drive that resulted in a fumble. Their QB was was 16/36.  He only averaged about 4 yards a pass. They have one of the best backs in FCS behind a very experienced OL and we held him to 70 yards at 3 ypc. 

I guess thinking we would hold them to 3 and out on every drive there is cause for concern, but I don't see any. 

Definitely things to clean up like the coverage breakdown and the KO coverage, but all in all the team looked solid. Not great, but solid. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

40 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

We'll check the W-L column when all is said and done.  Same argument as last year, as long as we win and he puts up the numbers...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1