The three-headed trio of Quinton Flowers, Marlon Mack, and Rodney Adams is arguably the best in the country

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,901
  • Days Won:  5

17 hours ago, Paisa el Toro said:

All speculation on my part, but I think he had terrible assistants here. Holtz isn't a particularly strong coach, and he's a great "figurehead." He pooped the bed, while here, and I think he banked on his last name getting him much better responses from local recruits.

I agree with this... It was scary from day 1 when he got a boat load more money for assistants and he brought in guys he knew, giving them $50-$60k more than they were previously making. He got more money than Leavitt for the staff, and should have hired proven BCS coaches, but, chose to spend most of the money on his buddies. I hate Holtz with a passion for what he did here, but, I do believe he *could* have been successful if he had hired a good staff. It really was his assistant coaches that led to his downfall here in my opinion.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

10 hours ago, Calibull said:

The only reason he got the job was because of his last name.  I hate that guy

Hate is a pretty strong sentiment, but it's your sentiment, not mine. Holtz is a really nice guy, and I think he really wanted what's best for USF. I just think he went about it the completely wrong way.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

41 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

I agree with this... It was scary from day 1 when he got a boat load more money for assistants and he brought in guys he knew, giving them $50-$60k more than they were previously making. He got more money than Leavitt for the staff, and should have hired proven BCS coaches, but, chose to spend most of the money on his buddies. I hate Holtz with a passion for what he did here, but, I do believe he *could* have been successful if he had hired a good staff. It really was his assistant coaches that led to his downfall here in my opinion.

Whether by his trust in the assistants, or by his own game-calling, he showed poor game management here. It showed he either didn't have a pair to step in and overrule the assistant coaches, didn't have a good strategy, or just didn't recruit the right talent to be aggressive enough (D especially). Maybe a combination of the three, but IMO it was definitely time for him to move on. I liked the "man", but was seriously disappointed at his job performance.

CWT was on the cusp of a similar situation, hammering the square peg in the round hole. But I always thought his strategy was better so I figured we'd eventually emerge once he hammered hard enough...if he wasn't fired first. But when he realized what he could do just by changing the peg, it started clicking. I'm eager to see if it can keep rolling this year.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,236
  • Days Won:  6

3 hours ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Hate is a pretty strong sentiment, but it's your sentiment, not mine. Holtz is a really nice guy, and I think he really wanted what's best for USF. I just think he went about it the completely wrong way.

hated the effect his coaching tenure had on our program.

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

4 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

Can't we just say Holtz failed and move along without making up things to hate him for? You said it was because he should have brought in proven coaches from BCS schools. You know CWT has a staff that's 90% Western Kentucky or high school, right? And they're all his buddies.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

The trio would be even more impressive if CWT would give AW a fair shot at QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

9 hours ago, Paisa el Toro said:

No... I'm pretty sure it's hate and utter disdain.  I thought he was a nice guy too.  Met him a few times... but no, I'm sure it's hate.  But I get your sentiments. 

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

4 hours ago, JTrue said:

Can't we just say Holtz failed and move along without making up things to hate him for? You said it was because he should have brought in proven coaches from BCS schools. You know CWT has a staff that's 90% Western Kentucky or high school, right? And they're all his buddies.

Yup... I'm with you.

• Topic Count:  1,043
  • Content Count:  7,611
  • Days Won:  10

14 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

Spot on.  xCSH never made adjustments to his staff that needed to be made due to his loyalty to them.  This is underscored by the fact that no assistant that he had here is on staff at LaTech (that I can tell, anyway).  Hopefully, that is a lesson learned and he is successful moving forward.  What I hate is what that teaching point cost our program.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,236
  • Days Won:  6

18 hours ago, lotsofbull99 said:

The trio would be even more impressive if CWT would give AW a fair shot at QB.

If only Bench had another year of eligibility. 

• Upvote 2