UCLA’s next NCAA tournament hurdle is USF’s Courtney Williams

Bullumni

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  5,280
  • Days Won:  1

The 1st half killed us. Slow starts have killed this team all season and was our achilee's heel. If we are ever going to go far in the tourney we have got to stop starting out slow and letting good teams get 15+ point leads on us early and keep them within 5 early. 

• Topic Count:  612
  • Content Count:  17,244
  • Days Won:  46

2 minutes ago, bullsfan27 said:

The 1st half killed us. Slow starts have killed this team all season and was our achilee's heel. If we are ever going to go far in the tourney we have got to stop starting out slow and letting good teams get 15+ point leads on us early and keep them within 5 early. 

Which is why I'm not sure if that was our best team. They were good but not sure if they will go down as the best in USF history. 

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  3,838
  • Days Won:  7

14 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

Which is why I'm not sure if that was our best team. They were good but not sure if they will go down as the best in USF history. 

How many others have made the Round of 32? Last year's team for one...basically the same team as last season...who did we lose? I think it must come down to your own personal definition of the word 'best'. This year's team featured USF's all-time leading rebounder and 2nd highest scorer of all time in the same starting 5.

Edited by USFBulls12
Typo

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, USFBulls12 said:

How many others have made the Round of 32? Last year's team for one...basically the same team as last season...who did we lose? I think it must come down to your own personal definition of the word 'best'. This year's team featured USF's all-time leading rebounder and 2nd highest scorer of all time in the same starting 5.

This year featured a lot more Stringfield :( Honestly, I have no clue how next year will be. Thinking the team will need to be lead by Laksa and Laura is kind of scary (Not in a good way). But they will get my support no matter what. If they can compete next year, and finish in the top half of the conference, they will have my full respect.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  590
  • Content Count:  23,506
  • Days Won:  111

Congrats to our WBB team.  Tough loss. Another hard to watch first quarter but they battled. A bounce here and there, a ref blowing his whistle when a girl runs in and throws a block an offensive lineman would be proud of and we may still be alive.  But always proud of our USF teams and appreciate all the hard work they put in.  As for next year, well, we'll have to wait and see.  Just don't see anyone on the roster who can create their own shot.  Court and Lee were the only two doing it this season.  And don't see who can penetrate and beat someone off the dribble.  If I remember correctly CJF said at one time that we have size coming in next year.  Maybe the gal that came in and played one game or two, McCullough, will be the answer.  She looked quick.

• Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,774
  • Days Won:  19

It's time to hit the streets of Miami and Tampa hard to find someone that can create separation like Courtney Williams. Look for girls that play with guys - because that's the type of player Williams was. She will be a top five draft pick this season in the WNBA and unfortunately we wasted her great talent getting stymied back to back in the second round of the last two tourneys. I doubt it'll take 20 years to get another Williams in... it's only been a couple years since Jessica Dickson graduated and she too was a star that carried a team on her shoulders. It was a great run for the last two years - however we need speed to compete as our returning bigs just don't have the fluid coordination to make a substantial difference without a playmaker opening the lanes up for them. And that is women's hoops in a nutshell. Just my two cents... 

• Topic Count:  495
  • Content Count:  12,711
  • Days Won:  25

Didn't I hear that UCLA had the number one recruiting class two years ago? Our girls picked a bad time to go cold as a team, for a half, but man what heart some of them showed in the second half. One or two fewer turnovers and we're in the Sweet 16.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Two of our incoming players, Jazz Bond and Shandrea Leverett are 6-4 which should give us height which we have lacked.  Although Enna Pehadzic is is 5-10 she has the width and strength to be a blocking force.  We will still need all of the ladies to step it up next season.

We will need Laksa to give the type of production she gave during this past season.  She is only a freshman so she should get even better with age.  LOL

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

We won't have Courtney, but Laksa is capable of picking up some of those points. As a Freshman she doubled the point production that Courtney had as a Freshman. 

The person I think that will be missed the most is Jenkins.  

Stringfield could be dynamic at times, but she played out of control a lot of the time.

It will be a different look next year for sure  probably designed around Laksa's skill set.  

We don't need another Courtney, but we will need more team productivity and we will be fine.  Jose has been a fairly consistent winner.  With his success over the last couple of years I expect that to continue  

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

16 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

Did you say that last year when we were hosting the 1st and 2nd rounds at the Sun Dome?

He definitely did. We had a whole thread on it. It was unanimous. Everyone on the board thought it was terribly unfair.

• Upvote 1