CWT Interviewing at SC

NewEnglandBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

^ The idea that CWT may want to leave because we criticized him during his 2-10 and 4-8 seasons is amusing.  Were we supposed to praise him when he lost to McNeese State?  How about Maryland this year?

Remember that his offense only began to "blossom" with Flowers at QB, and apparently with significant assists by Hope and Kinnan.  Curious to see if he reverts to his pro-style offense wherever he goes when he leaves.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

DOOD (?) What are you talking about?  I don't get all these posts.  First off, hopefully no one called him names because that would be UCF-like.  Second, I don't remember seeing an "I want it now" mentality at the beginning of the season.  I remember the goal being to go to ANY bowl game with an AAC schedule.  Everyone had very modest expectations and not that many people thought we could even make it.  Sideline coaching?  Try going to an SEC school.  I don't get the "poor Willie" posts.  The team was performing poorly in the beginning of the season.  Willie himself said they could have done more to help the team beat Memphis.  He took the reigns off of Flowers, and Flowers' throwing also improved.  I don't see how he could be bitter about anything.  It wasn't working and he made adjustments that paid off big time.  If he is any kind of professional he will not have hurt feelings over not meeting his own bowl game expectations at the beginning of the season.

Never directly but I remember quite a few "even my niece seen that we should throw more" type posts. All you would have to do is open up an earlier thread, even in some of our recent threads people argue the turnaround should have been sooner. Or if CWT would have gotten out of his own way Mike White could have lead this team to a greater season last year. His first year with the horrible dumpster fire there were those crying bloody murder. 

If you don't remember it has to be selective memory. I never said everyone, just a very vocal minority. The team at the  beginning wasn't firing on all cylinders but it wasn't horrible aside from Maryland. I personally don't like how  we seem to turn on him.  Look at the  on this thread alone. Makes our fan base seem two faced. I would take note, that's all I'm saying. It's easy to love him when you see the end result, I always remember those who turned their backs when I was down. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  212
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Days Won:  1

Never directly but I remember quite a few "even my niece seen that we should throw more" type posts. All you would have to do is open up an earlier thread, even in some of our recent threads people argue the turnaround should have been sooner. Or if CWT would have gotten out of his own way Mike White could have lead this team to a greater season last year. His first year with the horrible dumpster fire there were those crying bloody murder. 

If you don't remember it has to be selective memory. I never said everyone, just a very vocal minority. The team at the  beginning wasn't firing on all cylinders but it wasn't horrible aside from Maryland. I personally don't like how  we seem to turn on him.  Look at the  on this thread alone. Makes our fan base seem two faced. I would take note, that's all I'm saying. It's easy to love him when you see the end result, I always remember those who turned their backs when I was down. 

he's right.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

^ The idea that CWT may want to leave because we criticized him during his 2-10 and 4-8 seasons is amusing.  Were we supposed to praise him when he lost to McNeese State?  How about Maryland this year?

Remember that his offense only began to "blossom" with Flowers at QB, and apparently with significant assists by Hope and Kinnan.  Curious to see if he reverts to his pro-style offense wherever he goes when he leaves.

There's a difference between praise  and understanding. Looking at the body of this season Maryland is an anomaly.And magically once  we started winning it's in spite of CWT not because of him. Ok....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,871
  • Days Won:  25

HR Bull... I do understand veteran preference being a veteran and I don't question your HR background. If you read the memo by USC's HR department published last year, it commented directly on minorities with respect to the interview process and some type of preference (and of course I lost the link when I was clicking through different windows). Also, the BCA (black coaches association) grades all universities on the hiring process of head coaches. There no doubt in my mind that the hiring process has a PC agenda (regardless of whether or not it is stated outright) in a school of the Mason-Dixon line. 

I wasn't aware of any directive, but I have heard of the bca. Like I said some places do mandate these things. Either way it's flattering to have that kind of institution paying any attention to our coach. I will beat a dead horse here and say if he goes anywhere Coach Scott should be at the top of the candidates list. I just think the job he did in Miami shows he is ready for bigger things.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,772
  • Days Won:  19

Have to agree with you on Coach Scott if Coach Taggart decides to pursue greener pastures. And the drop-off in recruiting would be negligible with Coach Scott. He could definitely circle the wagons here IMO. It would be nice having a former Bull coach the Bulls!

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  816
  • Days Won:  1

Have to agree with you on Coach Scott if Coach Taggart decides to pursue greener pastures. And the drop-off in recruiting would be negligible with Coach Scott. He could definitely circle the wagons here IMO. It would be nice having a former Bull coach the Bulls!

I want someone better than Scott if Willie leaves. Dude has been a HC for 5 games. Like him but we can do better IMO.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

RELAX.

Like I said in the "should be give Willie an extension?" thread, nobody is really going to want to give a guy who went 14-22 at 1 of the worst D1 conferences the keys to a fairly big time SEC or any P5 team. Not yet anyway. Not to be rude, but while there's no 'Rooney rule" in college, this may just be an interview mostly done to cover all their bases. 

All of the other names I've heard linked to that job have more experience and success that WT. Yes, even Muschamp went 28-20, which, at most other schools wouldn't be that bad. And his defenses are routinely top 10, like Willie here, if he can just get out of the way on offense he could have success. RR has a proven track record, and Schiano, despite being the biggest A-hole walking the earth, is a pretty good college coach that took a football outpost of a school and made it into a competitive program. 

Yes, fans here were calling for Willie's head. For good reason. He finally managed to get out of the way on offense (say what you want, but the offense ran in the final 8 games resembled NOTHING he has run before here or at WKU- perhaps it was his idea to change, but those were not his plays) and basically have the team finally play to it's potential. As far as recruiting- he's doing good in comparison to other AAC teams, but basically the guy is getting all 3* FL guys- not bad, at all, but it's not like they are stealing guys from FSU and UF. Basically he's doing what Leavitt did recruiting, but after Skip sleeping thru recruiting and coming out with Matt Floyd and Alex Mut, WT looks like some guru. He's not.

He's not getting the SC job, and honestly if he does, perhaps there is an adjustment period with another coach, but long term they will be fine. There is no guarantee USF can duplicate this season's success next season when they lose almost the whole OL anyway. 

To knee jerk and throw money at him like they did Skip would be foolish too. Let him interview. 

Edited by cambodia36
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  19

As expected 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

I didn't say we were winning *in spite of* him.  All I'm saying is that there's been an awful lot of hand-holding going on with this coach, and we only started seeing results two years after he was hired, when he finally began adjusting his schemes to the talent he was recruiting.  He said himself that he listened to others too much his first two years.