Start Bench

flsportsfan83

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Unfortunately I can't say the same...at least in this thread I have mostly seen people asking to see Bench making mostly logical arguements while the QF as starter supporters have been making excuses...

Again I am not against QF playing or even starting next game, I am just not being dogmatic about it. It's not one or the other, one has skill set the other doesn't. Just play the QB that is best suited for us to win. If MD has a poor secondary, then we should be all calling for SB so we can take advantage of that matchup.

Apis see below ;)

While I have done this in the past, with all the newer TBP'ers and many older I respect, I would like to clarify why I want to see Bench.

First off I don't care what Bench did in 2013, I want the QB that will put us in the best position to win NOW.

Lets look at Bench's last 5 games for all those claiming he is an INT machine:

Vs |CMP | ATT | YDS | CMP% | TD | INT | RAT

Cin 14 | 9 | 14 | 147 | 64.3 | 2 | 0 | 199.6

Hou 14 | 12 | 25 | 147 | 48.0 | 0 | 1 | 89.4

Mem 14 | 6 | 11 | 57 | 54.5 | 1 | 0 | 128.1

UCF 14 | 7 | 13 | 88 | 53.8 | 0 | 0 | 110.7

FAM 15 | 8 | 10 | 140 | 80.0 | 1 | 0 | 230.6

AVG CMP%: 60.12

TD/INT : 4/1

AVG QB Rating: 151.68

These numbers are without getting full first team reps. Even in the game where SB started he had to split reps with a hurt MW. Bench is a passer. Unlike BJ, Matt and Quinton, he needs to develop a rhythm and gel with the receivers b/c he is not going to scramble around and make a sandlot play. The timing and routes have to be there and that only happens with getting the reps in.

As far as his legs go, SB will not be able to extend plays like QF can, he is not as dynamic. I haven't seen a single person claim that. He will be sacked more than QF, but I would argue he will also have more completed passes and make throws he cannot atm. I would also rather him take a sack or throw it away then throw a pick. He is also not a stick in the mud either. He has the wheels to pick up a first down and TD and with the RB's we have THAT IS ALL WE NEED. We don't need the QB to be another RB in this system. It is far more important for the QB to be able to toss the rock and keep D's honest. We saw lots of two back option against FSU and I love that look with the talent we have for both QF and SB.

Now lets move onto the FAMU game where people are discrediting what SB did. Listen I am pulling for QF and I think he will continue to develop, hopefully into what we need. But lets be honest, SB can toss the rock better. The throws he made against FAMU where on point and QF hasn't shown anything to prove he can make those throws. You can say all you want about FAMU's D, it was gassed, they are no good etc etc but he put the ball on the money over the middle, down the sidelines, short and deep. He Executed the Play! He can make ALL the throws, and at this moment, IMO QF can't.

Finally, look at the numbers above. If we can get this kind of production from the QB we will go bowling for sure! The TD to INT ratio should end any notion that he is a turn over machine. Further that avg passer rating for the last 5 games would put SB currently in the top 40 QBs of 2015. Those of us asking to "SEE" SB I believe are fully justified. Bringing in SB sometime in the 3rd against FSU, was the right move in my opinion. It's not that QF played bad, he is just not that type of QB atm. He doesn't have the tools right now to sling the ball to bring us back when we are down. If anything can be said for SB its that he has proven to be able to come into a game in the 2nd half and do well.

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Unfortunately I can't say the same...at least in this thread I have mostly seen people asking to see Bench making mostly logical arguements while the QF as starter supporters have been making excuses...

Again I am not against QF playing or even starting next game, I am just not being dogmatic about it. It's not one or the other, one has skill set the other doesn't. Just play the QB that is best suited for us to win. If MD has a poor secondary, then we should be all calling for SB so we can take advantage of that matchup.

Logic? The logic of excluding a 14/36 performance because we're just going to look at the last 5 games.

Breaking down the games shows SB does well when we're down multiple scores so the pressure is off and the defense is looser.

Whatever, it's not logic it's arguing those facts that support your preconceived notions of the situation.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Also, because of all the "personal attacks" commentary on here, I will note I say the above with all the respect and admiration that one anonymous internet poster can have for another anonymous internet poster.   :GoBulls:

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

It's irrelevant if Bench graduates.  This board has had freshman BJ > senior Grothe, Eveld > BJ, White greatest of all time > Bench, Bench > White, Bench >QF, ineligible Woulard > everyone

Every option is better than the option that is playing.

Wrong, options should be used when the status quo yields losses.  If QF has not succeeded in the first half against MD, then SB should be brought in. WHATEVER IT TAKES TO WIN

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,697
  • Days Won:  52

Must beat Maryland! No more screwing around. Remember this team was a punt gaffe away last time.

Also, because of all the "personal attacks" commentary on here, I will note I say the above with all the respect and admiration that one anonymous internet poster can have for another anonymous internet poster. :GoBulls:

:D

Logic? The logic of excluding a 14/36 performance because we're just going to look at the last 5 games.

Breaking down the games shows SB does well when we're down multiple scores so the pressure is off and the defense is looser.

Whatever, it's not logic it's arguing those facts that support your preconceived notions of the situation.

I did not randomly choose the games, I used his five most recent games. If that was in the 5 it would have been included. Why 5? To see what his "recent" progress has been. If your argument is that I should go back to the second game of the 2014 season as well, thus making it less relevant to his recent progress, as opposed to the last 4 games of the 2014 season...if your suggesting that I should use a game where he was thrust into the situatuon, where even the coach said there where at least 8 drops, and there is no way he improved and that how you start is more important than how you finish...if all that is illogical...l THEN!! (Here comes an angry over blown rant...get ready...

agree to disagree ;)

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

QF has started 3 games. we have won 2 of them. the one loss was to a top ten team on the road. no one is arguing he is a heisman contender.

no one is dogmatic. Bench has appeared in 14 games for us. He is 3-11. The wins were FAMU, Western Carolina (1-1 for 10 yards) and Cincy (1-1 for 7 yards). last year he would have ranked #106 in the country for passer ranking.

you guys act like we have joe montana on the bench.

I have said that Bench should be put into the game if we are down by more than 2 TDs in the 4th quarter otherwise i believe flowers gives us a better chance. he doesn't get sacked as much , he takes care of the ball better, and is a better runner.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,298
  • Days Won:  0

Offense of this season is much better than last season. I can't think if we had a false start this season yet..haven't we? Also, no last minute play called.. So I would not have looked at Bench statistics from last season at all.