Flowers

Skingraft

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

Good quarterbacks find holes in the defense and throw to guys who are open. That's the point, if there are defenders around and he has to thread the needle one would assume he would either run or do just that. I don't understandthe argument.

Exactly. He did what he needed to do on Saturday. He'll probably need to do things different from here out, facing better athletes. Time will tell if he'll be able to do it on a regular basis ....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  177
  • Content Count:  8,729
  • Days Won:  28

Most of his completions were to backs or receivers on quick screens except for the 2 TDs to Johnson.  As I type, I remember he had the one 4th down completion to Price over the middle.  He's going to have to learn to throw over the middle to make defenses respect the whole field or they will take away the long balls and the quick hitters. 

Let's hope he learns and progresses.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Good quarterbacks find holes in the defense and throw to guys who are open. That's the point, if there are defenders around and he has to thread the needle one would assume he would either run or do just that. I don't understandthe argument.

Great QBs don't require a receiver to be wide open with no defender within 10 yards of him in order to complete the pass.  That is the argument.

There are few great QBs in college football. If his elusiveness holds against stronger defenses receivers will continue to get solid separation. He got a lot better as the night went on. Bench certainly looked to be a better pocket passer, but Flowers brings a lot more to other aspects of our offense.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

He seemed fine to me. Is he the next Heisman winner, not likely.

BUT, he made negative plays positive, he hit receivers better than we've seen in recent years and he looked comfortable. We haven't had that since BJ and Matt.

Anyone out right complaining on here right now MUST have amnesia.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,910
  • Days Won:  5

To me, it was all about footwork. He threw off balance several times. You have to have some arm strength to be able to do that, but, there will be times that he has to learn to set his feet and throw a pass with a bit more velocity. He is going to buy himself some time, I think for me, there is a question of whether or not the plays we have designed to get WRs open are of any use. Is he able to hit a WR in time on a route, or, are all of our bigger plays going to be on busted coverage after he eludes defenders?

Nothing wrong with that, I see Roethlesburger as that same type of QB (obviously more polished) and he has been plenty successful.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

There is an argument solely because Databull has determined there should be one.  He did a good job against a pretty bad team, it's pretty much indisputable.  Let's see his game against a much better one this weekend.  

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Anyone out right complaining on here right now MUST have amnesia.

Truth. Have all the concern you want about the next game, that's fine. But really, go watch the game again and see how the young man responded to the early let-downs. See how Bench came in and made a couple lights-out passes and himself ran for a TD (impressively, I'd add).

No, the QB position was not a point of weakness for us vs FAMU, and that's pretty stinkin' new and awesome...enjoy it!!

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

We won't know anything until the Maryland game because just like we outclassed FAMU so much that it was impossible to glean anything of value, FSU is going to destroy us regardless of whether Flowers plays his best or not.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  370
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

Watching the OSU v. VT game last night, I was able to see young Brenden Motley come in to the game as QB when VT's starter went down with a painful injury (broken collarbone). I saw a lot of QF in watching Motely in that game. Like QF, no other college wanted him as a QB and he was considered a good athlete out of high school. (Both were 3 Star/5.5 rated). His numbers against OSU were serviceable (4/9 for 36 yards, 1 TD, I INT; 7 carries for 17 yards). I could see QF having a similar type of game against FSU. Something in the 10/20 for 120 yards, 1 TD 1 INT range. I don't think that type of performance would be enough to win (without our running game and defense creating a lot of points), but I wonder how everyone on here would react if that is the type of day that he has? 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Watching the OSU v. VT game last night, I was able to see young Brenden Motley come in to the game as QB when VT's starter went down with a painful injury (broken collarbone). I saw a lot of QF in watching Motely in that game. Like QF, no other college wanted him as a QB and he was considered a good athlete out of high school. (Both were 3 Star/5.5 rated). His numbers against OSU were serviceable (4/9 for 36 yards, 1 TD, I INT; 7 carries for 17 yards). I could see QF having a similar type of game against FSU. Something in the 10/20 for 120 yards, 1 TD 1 INT range. I don't think that type of performance would be enough to win (without our running game and defense creating a lot of points), but I wonder how everyone on here would react if that is the type of day that he has? 

Me thinks you're grasping for straws.  We run a different offense, Motley was not supposed to be the starter and the entire offense was built around the starter (who got injured), Motley looked rattled... like a dear caught in the headlights and basically had a package of a few wildcat plays, he got no reps with the 1s outside of a few trick plays.  I think a good comparison would be Flowers last season and Motley this season.  Those are apples and apples.  This year Flowers looks much calmer, he keeps his eyes downfield at all times scrambling, and he appears to understand the read option better than Motley.  They are two different players.