Flowers

Skingraft

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Again I ask are interceptions really going to be that a big a deal when you've got this defense backing you up?

All depends on what side of the field you are on. At least Bench has the confidence to throw to the middle. Neither QB has all the tools and we'll need both of them.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

A couple of those "darts" were suspect reads and would've probably been picked by a better and non gassed defense.

Your argument would have more teeth if Flowers had not thrown a pick.

Yup it was a bad pick where he didn't set his feet but he also extended 4 or 5 plays where Bench would've taken a sack. His escapability will be extremely necessary with our OL being where they're at. Trade offs....

Absolutely.  And I saw a lot that I liked, don't get me wrong.  But it's hard to watch a QB that throws like that.  A few more wins and maybe I'll get used to it...

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

A couple of those "darts" were suspect reads and would've probably been picked by a better and non gassed defense.

Same arguements could be made for Flowers against a bad D except he threw no darts...better not to go there.

None of those balls were darts hence the quotation marks. They were a bit floaty which is why they were dangerous and would've been picked against better defenses. Bench has had problems getting picked in those seam areas because of the same reasons the past two seasons...

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Again I ask are interceptions really going to be that a big a deal when you've got this defense backing you up?

Absolutely.  This is a team based on a power run game.  We aren't going to score 30 points every game, especially if we can't throw all that well. We only win with low turnover counts.  

Taggart allegedly picked Flowers because he turns the ball over less.  If he keeps turning the ball over, Bench will be in there.  

:roflmao:    I almost got that last sentence out without laughing.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Can we stop with the, "would haves"?  No one knows what the outcome would have been with different QBs.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Your argument would have more teeth if Flowers had not thrown a pick.

Yup it was a bad pick where he didn't set his feet but he also extended 4 or 5 plays where Bench would've taken a sack. His escapability will be extremely necessary with our OL being where they're at. Trade offs....

Absolutely.  And I saw a lot that I liked, don't get me wrong.  But it's hard to watch a QB that throws like that.  A few more wins and maybe I'll get used to it...

Yeah,I think Maryland will tell us more about where Flowers really is. I think we see Bench again next weekend against FSU but under different circumstances than this week

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Can we stop with the, "would haves"? No one knows what the outcome would have been with different QBs.

Agreed. The very point I was making with the "if" statements, better not to go there...

• Topic Count:  212
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Days Won:  1

Absolutely.  This is a team based on a power run game.  We aren't going to score 30 points every game, especially if we can't throw all that well. We only win with low turnover counts.  

Taggart allegedly picked Flowers because he turns the ball over less.  If he keeps turning the ball over, Bench will be in there.  

:roflmao:    I almost got that last sentence out without laughing.

He only turned it over once so come on its not like he gave it up 4 times.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,382
  • Days Won:  8

He really has no arm though. I was watching with an impartial observer, said that he is like "if you subbed in a WR at QB on Madden and just ran around" he laughed and said that was entirely accurate. He can get away with those sort of plays against FAMU, but that likely won't fly starting next week, when probably 10 out of 11 guys on defense are as fast/faster than he is.

I thought Bench looked good. I'm not partial to either QB, but there will be some ugly games passing wise from Flowers.. think 7/21 for 65 yd type days.

"No arm" isn't a very objective take...QF can throw, he's just not consistent. He can be a very serviceable QB if he continues to develop good skills and habits, and his ability to improvise is an asset. But I am forced to agree that he will have some rough games this season too...all part of the learning curve.

Dude. No arm is objective, in that it takes forever for the ball to get to it's target. That is how interceptions happen when that much air is under the ball. Yes, he can be serviceable. And I love his running ability. I still tend to think a QB should be able to throw.

All that said, the offense still looks better than last year with either QB at the helm. So, maybe.

So to put you on the record, you do not think QF can throw a football. Serviceably, obviously, since he can actually throw an actual football.

I tend to agree, but I saw some decent passing too that led me to believe he can be an overall, well, decent passer. And the SCTop10 TD doesn't happen with Bench in the game, so maybe that's a passing game aspect of having QF in you should consider objectively.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

He got Three TDs and 1 int.

I'll take that. The facts are that he performed better than most if not all predicted on this board before the game