Is USF a "commuter school" - and how does that term affect you?

Jim Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

What I find funny is that people that I have known for years and had that "just a commuter school" attitude about USF don't say much when either their kids do NOT get admitted to USF despite have great grades and test scores....or.....have now actually taken the time to appreciate what USF has to offer now that their kid turned down UF, FSU or other in state schools....to ATTEND USF.

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

It makes leaving the school at 5 pm an absolute nightmare from mid-August until April. The traffic is backed up from Fletcher into the Collins parking garage. That's how commuters affect me.

That is not possible, because USF is not a commuter school.

If only the traffic was as light as Archer or Newberry in Gainesville. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,870
  • Days Won:  25

It makes leaving the school at 5 pm an absolute nightmare from mid-August until April. The traffic is backed up from Fletcher into the Collins parking garage. That's how commuters affect me.

What?!?! Commuter school or not a ton of people drive to campuses. Faculty, staff, vendors, students, and so on. Campuses always have traffic. Large employers create traffic, that's just the way it is.

Also, I work UF the "traditional" school and it takes me about 20 mins to get off campus at 5. It is what it is.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

BTW....I think we need an intervention with Joey Knight.

Brett McMurphy started this way...with a slight jab here, little jab there that earned a few giggles at USF's expense. He hate grew stronger as USF's administration and Seth Greenburg's teams gave him all the source material he needed to poke fun of USF....and he eventually grew powerful enough to bring down USF's rising football program. 

I like Joey. He is a good reporter and I've seen growth in his work. However, when he takes cheap jabs like this when the fanbase is down it makes me wonder what is going on. Does he feel like he can do more than just cover the Bulls? Afterall I've seen him do non-USF beat work like Rays. Someone needs to tell him that you can become a great journalist and eventually get a bigger than 'just covering the Bulls' with talent and hard work. Taking cheap shots for a living may have gotten BMM noticed...but while alot of folks respect his sources....I don't think most college fans 'like him'. 

Keep Joey Away From the Darkside

My $0.02

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,424
  • Content Count:  98,316
  • Days Won:  490

Very thoughtful and prescient.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

So, technically USF has 76% of its students living off campus.  Technically, USF is a commuter school.  Interestingly, UF has almost exactly the same percentage.  So really it is subjective, but not inaccurate to represent USF or UF as commuter.

USF decided it didn't want volume of students, it wanted to focus on better students... hence the reason we have an average incoming GPA of 4.08 in this year's freshman class.

It also decided it wanted to focus more on its graduate programs, for grant and research purposes. Funneling money to the grad. schools meant that USF couldn't sustain its pre-2000, undergraduate acceptance rates.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

I'll admit.  I was a commuter student. I went later in life, after a stint in the Navy and a few odd jobs.  I got my AA at HCC and was 29 when I started at USF.  With that said, I would have, "commuted" to any school I would have attended.

Similar story.  I got my AA in Miami, then transferred to USF, because my dad was a fighter pilot at McDill when we were kids, and he had a condo my brother (and incoming Chem Engineer) and I shared to save $$ and be close to a university.

Like NEBull, we credit USF with having excellent teachers.  I have an MBA and have been in my profession for nearly 25 years, and my little brother switched to finance, eventually got a PhD and now holds an excellent position at William & Mary.

Joey knows it's a shot, like a UCF deek would make.  To his credit, for the most part, when confronted by several on Twitter, he apologized.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

I seriously think that most people here are waaaayyyy reading too much into this.  JK was writing, and he was looking for an analogy to fit the sentence to fill out the sentence.  This is what writers do.  "Commuter" and "school" popped into his head so he put it down.  He probably forgot about it seconds after he typed it.  His focus wasn't on the analogy, it was on telling the Taggart story.

^ I think that's pretty much the issue everyone has with him. Why did "commuter" and "school" pop into his head at the same time "green" and "gold" did?

It only pops into the heads of people who haven't put any effort into learning enough about the school to know it's not true. That's why some scrub team, ESPN3 crew, saying it doesn't impact me one way or the other. The guy who gets paid to cover USF, different story. 

That's what bugged me the most.  It's a paragraph that UCF's Bianchi would write.  I don't expect Knight to be a USF homer, but it'd be nice not to have him snipe at the team he covers.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

What?!?! Commuter school or not a ton of people drive to campuses. Faculty, staff, vendors, students, and so on. Campuses always have traffic. Large employers create traffic, that's just the way it is.

Also, I work UF the "traditional" school and it takes me about 20 mins to get off campus at 5. It is what it is.

I hate to tell you, but by literal definition UF is a commuter school as well.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

Some of the worst road traffic gridlock in the state of Florida during work week day hours is on the roads wrapped right around the UF campus in Gainesville...traffic lights change and drivers can't go anywhere because the roads are so clogged up.  Somebody is commuting there!

• Upvote 1