Is USF a "commuter school" - and how does that term affect you?

Jim Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  76
  • Days Won:  0

One of the common identifying factors among most AAC schools is being a large university in a major city.   I like that we share this characteristic among the conference, it shows we successfully deal with a lot of common challenges.   Because of that, it's only natural that a lot of kids that live in the city will just drive in.   This is just practical and cost effective, and not a problem whatsoever, so long as we also have a large portion living on campus.     

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I think a fair question to ask. How many on here lived in housing that wasn't on campus or student type housing within 5 miles of campus during their tenure at USF?

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

I think a fair question to ask. How many on here lived in housing that wasn't on campus or student type housing within 5 miles of campus during their tenure at USF?

that is the thing.  just because you don't live "on-campus" doesn't mean you are commuting.  Hell, how many "off-campus" apartments have Bull Runner stops in front of them?  

I'd be curious to see some official study from the university about just how many students live within 3-5 miles of the campus.  

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  2

Not gonna lie, it REALLY ticked me off seeing JK write that in the article, get another job then. I dont understand why you would insult your own reader base. What an idiotic thing to say. 

When other people who are misinformed say something it doesnt bother me because I attribute it to ignorance. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,146
  • Days Won:  109

:2cents:

We're from NJ.  We discovered USF when we were down here to visit friends in Brandon when our daughter was a Fr in high school.  Drove through the campus one day, our daughter saw the palm tree lined drive coming in off of Fowler and fell in love with the place.  Back at work in NJ I mentioned the school to my boss who was a college sports fanatic and had actually heard of South Florida.  His comment "It's a commuter school".  Didn't disuade me and don't think our daughter ever heard the term.  I just thought it meant they didn't have a lot of on campus housing (which they didn't in comparison to the total number of students).  This would have been around 1999 or 2000.  Seemed like a major university to me then and now despite the label.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  433

Yes, it irks me but I hear it less these days.  I also like to throw out there that there are huge employment advantages to going to a school in a metropolitan area.  More jobs as a student, more diverse things to do (sporting events, concerts, nightlife), and also most importantly.....I had a real job before I graduated because of valuable internships/co-ops that USF is tied to. 

Use this ammunition for any folks that talk down to USF:  USF students just had the highest MCAT scores (pre-med exam) of any Florida school.  It shows that USF is preparing students well at the highest level of academics. 

Interesting thing is this:  I can't think of any of my USF friends/fraternity brother that are NOT doing well right now as we are in our mid-40's. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,119

Another thought.

I don't mean to totally de-rail this topic, but having an off campus stadium probably contributes to the "commuter school" stigma, too.  Not saying it's 100% of it--but it doesn't help.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251

that is the thing. just because you don't live "on-campus" doesn't mean you are commuting. Hell, how many "off-campus" apartments have Bull Runner stops in front of them?

I'd be curious to see some official study from the university about just how many students live within 3-5 miles of the campus.

I think I made that clear. "On campus or student type housing within 5 miles of campus"

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'll admit.  I was a commuter student. I went later in life, after a stint in the Navy and a few odd jobs.  I got my AA at HCC and was 29 when I started at USF.  With that said, I would have, "commuted" to any school I would have attended.

• Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  3,501
  • Days Won:  5

Well to be honest it used to be that way 'bout 20 years ago; pre-football. Then the dorms started rolling in and that pretty much erased that ?stigma?

USF is a "metropolitan - based research university" as I have heard in the past. That pretty much sums it up.