• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Adam Shuler Signs with WVU - USF misses legacy opportunity

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Adam's dad (also Adam Shuler) played at USF prior to my arrival, however it would have been a perfect opportunity to start a pipeline to Lyman while also bringing in the first of many future sons of former USF players. USF looked at him late in the game only after an Ole Miss coach that was recruiting him came to our staff. He's a DE with considerable upside considering he's really only played two seasons. We missed on this one for more reasons than just him being a good ball player.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Never heard of this kid

Then he must suck. No big loss.

Here is an article that might help clear things up...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/blog/os-lyman-adam-shuler-west-virginia-recruiting-20150204-post.html

There was talk among former players that USF missed out on one of their own. The coaches really should have an awareness of the former players and the ages of their kids that are males. We had a lot of kids hanging around the locker room back in 2000. Many of those kids are balling out in high school right now. Offering Adam Shuler would have been a sign to others previously in the program about the brotherhood that is here to stay. Just my two cents...

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Did you aware the staff sheriff? Many of them are more than willing to speak with you, especially as a former player. Hell I spoke with Telly Lockette more than once, and I'm a nobody. 

Hey Hem... I caught word of Adam through a random post the other day on a private FB feed among former players. A former player asked his father if his son was still committed to WVU and he said yes. We were happy for Shuler's son, but we were disappointed USF didn't notice him until it was too late in the game and never offered him formally (per his dad). His pops commented on the thread about the late interest - but I guess it didn't go much further. Hope he does well there, but I know deep down his father would rather have him wearing Green and Gold than WVU colors. His dad's playing weight was 280 lbs when he was at USF. Maybe, just maybe, he would have been on the DL vice being a DE. 

The football department has set up a liaison for us to speak with among the coaching staff - and some players have even sent them tape from time to time on kids they think have what it takes to buy into our blue collar mentality. I've even seen some players totally blow up about the coaches not seeing the potential in certain players and the former player feeling they weren't given the time of day. You can't please everyone I suppose.

I wish I had more time to fully track all of our little ones for our former football players and where they are in the world. However, I have a family now and have my own hands full. I will offer you this Hem - my daughter has a very good chance of being very, very athletic (and my wife and I debate constantly on where she'll play softball if she reaches her max potential - my wife says West Point - I say USF if Coach E is still here). Golf is also an option for her.

My wife started all four years at West Point in softball and had a full ride to Cornell for hockey. Her dad played hockey professionally (just below the NHL) before electing to serve in Viet Nam as a chopper pilot. Her father has been playing golf for twenty years now and shoots in the mid-70's (not bad for someone in their 70's). My father was a dominating pitcher in high school, but left high school as a junior to go to Viet Nam (my dad's father was an alcoholic and he had six sisters and a mother to take care of). Had he not been shot twice, I wonder if my dad would have had a chance to compete professionally. I'm pretty athletic myself - and both my wife and I have that "push" gene to get things done - hoping our daughter is the same way. By the way, she was 68% for height and 29% for weight at her two week checkup (tall and lean as I tell my wife). I work with her legs daily hoping to get the rapid leg turnover going at an early age (she will hopefully be fast). Maybe, just maybe, I'll get her to USF - well, at least for med school for sure.   

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

Something doesn't add up. If explayers have a liaison to the coaching staff, why did they not know until it was too late?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Something doesn't add up. If explayers have a liaison to the coaching staff, why did they not know until it was too late?

Someone probably made a mistake and told the staff he was a QB so they didn't bother.