• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Something Positive to say About CWT

CWTs firing of assistant coaches  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

As most of you savy Bull fans know, in our short history the HC's we've employed have had issue with making changes at the assistant coach level. As much as I miss CJL, he was loyal to some bad coach's to a fault. Unfortunately for us, at least in the short term, I think this was part of his undoing... Same could be said for Skippy, though IMHO in a completely different and more disasters way 

As I mentioned earlier in another post, firing the coaches was the right move, regardless of how it plays out. The trajectory under the previous coaches was improving much to slow (if at all). While we might not ever know the totality of Harlan's involvement in the firings, it is clear that CWT made the decision to make changes. For his part, I think the hires and staff he put together when he first got here, and the possibility of T. Allen as DC, shows that he understands the importance of a good team.

While it is easy to become overly skeptical given our recent history, this quality of not accepting the status quo, might be one of the best HC'ing traits I have seen from CWT. Let's just hope he doesn't get in their way, especially on offense.

Statistically speaking, we are due for some good coaches. Most coaches have looked good on paper, so we are due, no?

GO BULLS!!

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

I thinking you are saying we've had poor luck with coaches and in turn, we should soon get good coaches, having been so unlucky lately. What's more likely is that none of this is luck, but more a reflection of leadership in finding quality coaches that will out coach and out scheme our opponents. Given our level of competition and rankings of recent recruiting classes, the tools to be above average are there.

I thinking you are saying we've had poor luck with coaches and in turn, we should soon get good coaches, having been so unlucky lately. What's more likely is that none of this is luck, but more a reflection of leadership in finding quality coaches that will out coach and out scheme our opponents. Given our level of competition and rankings of recent recruiting classes, the tools to be above average are there.

Agree that there are pieces in place to put something together here at USF. 

I wouldn't use luck, just numbers. On paper, most of the coaches have looked like good hires for where we are with our program. Thus far, I haven't been of the opinion that the hires have just been flat out wrong. Maybe your understanding is different...

None of the coordinator hires in the Taggart era have necessarily been good on paper. They came here because of associations to the coach and his network. cosh was maybe the only one where it seemed like he should have done a lot better than his performance showed.

Edited by inTransit

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

what about when he hired nick sheridan to coach our weakest position?

what about when he hired nick sheridan to coach our weakest position?

Just not much depth of experience to consider as someone who has 'done it' somewhere else with a successful track record. On paper in the SunBelt, well yeah ok. As this thread is titled 'something positive to say' I'll go ahead and stop now

I was expecting something positive in this thread...

LOL. I was expecting worthwhile takes. Guess we can't have everything  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

None of the coordinator hires in the Taggart era have necessarily been good on paper. They came here because of associations to the coach and his network. cosh was maybe the only one where it seemed like he should have done a lot better than his performance showed.

Isn't that how most assistants get to a head coach?

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  807
  • Days Won:  1

I think Cosh is the only coordinator that should have been canned. There was a drop off in talent on the defensive side of the ball last year and it really showed. Hopefully the young guys will progress and get better over the offseason. Our offense is so bad that the defense generated 6 turnovers vs Maryland and the O only managed to score 17 points.

Our offense was awful.

Edited by BrowardBull17