• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New DC hired: Tom Allen

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

I like this hire because this guy has been coaching against offenses that are 10x as good as any of the other AAC teams. He has had better players to coach granted, but he has also been having to coach his guys to compete with teams that are 10x the athletes of other AAC teams, and 10x the coaching smart .

We need a good OC hire thst can put the talent we have in a position to succeed and for Taggart to sit back and watch and call timeouts and we may just have a chance at being slightly better than 2014.

See, I think USF could have found an experienced DC because there are good ones at all levels. And just like you said, the difference is they don't have the same quality players, but their schemes work. Snyder was a good position coach. Cosh was one, I don't know how good. No guarantee a position coach translates to a great DC.
there is no guarantee that a successful DC from a lower level translates to one at this level either.

look at our last head coach. he is successful at c-usa level but couldn't hack it at this level.

there are no guarantees no matter which way you go.

HC isn't a coordinator's job. He failed because of who he hired at coordinator.

Didn't say it was a coordinator's job.

I said we hired a somewhat successful coach from a lower level and he failed.

He failed for many reasons. One of which was who he hired as coordinator. It was certainly not the only reason he failed.

I think most who realistically looked at Holtz's tenure would agree he'd still be here now if he had a competent DC instead of Cosh.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  88
  • Days Won:  0

I have been critical of many moves CWT has made.   This however, is a really good hire.    Our program is struggling and may not be appealing many "top tier" coaches.    Getting Allen to come here is a big deal.   Hopefully we will have similar success bringing in a quality OC.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Mayes and Bronson CAlloway Senat, he should be able to run a 4-3 quite effectively

if we go back to a full time 3-4 I will be disappointed

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Mayes and Bronson CAlloway Senat, he should be able to run a 4-3 quite effectively

if we go back to a full time 3-4 I will be disappointed

I know Ole Miss runs mostly 4-2-5 with 3-3-5 and 3-4 mixed in.  They also blitz quite a bit.   I'm not sure if he is bringing that exact same system here but hopefully he at least brings the blitz heavy philosophy that he coached in.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Not sure what to think of a position coach jumping to DC. More OTJ training? And it seems Willie has abandoned Harbaugh for coach suggestions, going through his former high school coach now.

Position coach to DC happens all the time. Where else would they come from?

We should have hired a proven P5 DC away to come here. You know, like how SMU hired a proven HC from a P5 school to come over to be theirs.

You think if there was one they wouldn't have? They put more effort and cash in their search than USF ever has in the past.

:facepalm:

Not sure what to think of a position coach jumping to DC. More OTJ training? And it seems Willie has abandoned Harbaugh for coach suggestions, going through his former high school coach now.

We should have hired a proven P5 DC away to come here. You know, like how SMU hired a proven HC from a P5 school to come over to be theirs.

You think if there was one they wouldn't have? They put more effort and cash in their search than USF ever has in the past.

:facepalm:

And? How many P5/BCS has USF interviewed? How many $30 million plus contracts offered?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I like this hire because this guy has been coaching against offenses that are 10x as good as any of the other AAC teams. He has had better players to coach granted, but he has also been having to coach his guys to compete with teams that are 10x the athletes of other AAC teams, and 10x the coaching smart .

We need a good OC hire thst can put the talent we have in a position to succeed and for Taggart to sit back and watch and call timeouts and we may just have a chance at being slightly better than 2014.

See, I think USF could have found an experienced DC because there are good ones at all levels. And just like you said, the difference is they don't have the same quality players, but their schemes work. Snyder was a good position coach. Cosh was one, I don't know how good. No guarantee a position coach translates to a great DC.
there is no guarantee that a successful DC from a lower level translates to one at this level either.

look at our last head coach. he is successful at c-usa level but couldn't hack it at this level.

He failed for many reasons. One of which was who he hired as coordinator. It was certainly not the only reason he failed.

I think most who realistically looked at Holtz's tenure would agree he'd still be here now if he had a competent DC instead of Cosh.

yeah his offense was set up  to have success in year 4 after BJ went down.......

he was a terrible recruiter and he wasn't much of a gameday manager.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

So you're saying that the only reason SMU didn't hire a proven P5 head coach was because there wasn't one available?

yeah his offense was set up  to have success in year 4 after BJ went down.......

he was a terrible recruiter and he wasn't much of a gameday manager.

He needed a QB at his current school and got one, no problem. He had the highest ranked recruit in USF's history, a QB, verbally committed until he was fired and he decommitted. People conveniently forget these facts.

So you're saying that the only reason SMU didn't hire a proven P5 head coach was because there wasn't one available?

P5 coach or BCS. Being that the Gators just hired a Mountain West head coach, probably not.