• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jobs open? Let's speculate on coaching hires

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Who in the world is going to accept a position for DC or OC with us? Uproot their family and come to Tampa knowing Taggart is on the hot seat and that if this season is anything less than a bowl game Taggart is fired and so are the rest of the assistants. Someone who either isn't qualified, or someone who has been sitting at home the last few years??  :facepalm:

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Cristobal is making $475,000 at Alabama to be the O line coach. Eddie Gran gets $305,000 to be the OC at Cincinnati. What would we have to pay to get someone to board the Titanic for a year?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Cristobal is making $475,000 at Alabama to be the O line coach. Eddie Gran gets $305,000 to be the OC at Cincinnati. What would we have to pay to get someone to board the Titanic for a year?

Two or three-year contract, as OC and Asst HC?

Edited by TallyBull

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

IMO it was a mistake to fire the coaches we just did.

Whose mistake, though? I'm still not sure whether this was CWT's last gasp at keeping his job, or Harlan telling him to make big changes.

Doesn't matter whose mistake it is. If CWT made the decision, or Harlan told him to do it, if it fails, CWT is done, not Harlan.

Sure it matters. It clues us in

Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm going to stop you right there.  Harlan doesn't care about cluing us in, he cares about results.  Harlan's not going to get any blame or credit until the next coach is hired, so whoever is making the decisions, it's going to be Taggart who either survives or gets killed by it. 

Harlan's a big picture guy, he's not going to get into the nuts and bolts of who CWT hires or what changes need to be made.  He's telling CWT he wants the football team fixed, and CWT needs to do what he thinks he needs to do to make it happen. 

He's basically letting the leash out a little longer, but my guess is that we're at the end of the leash.  Whatever CWT decides to do needs to work, or he won't work at USF any longer. 

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Not this again. I'm getting Chris Cosh flashbacks.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  487
  • Days Won:  0

What happens if Taggart is fired? The new HC will pick his own coordinators. Then we're stuck with the bill for 1-2 more years for fired assistants. 

Edited by DC

IMO it was a mistake to fire the coaches we just did.

Whose mistake, though? I'm still not sure whether this was CWT's last gasp at keeping his job, or Harlan telling him to make big changes.
Doesn't matter whose mistake it is. If CWT made the decision, or Harlan told him to do it, if it fails, CWT is done, not Harlan.
Sure it matters. It clues us in

Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm going to stop you right there. Harlan doesn't care about cluing us in, he cares about results. Harlan's not going to get any blame or credit until the next coach is hired, so whoever is making the decisions, it's going to be Taggart who either survives or gets killed by it.

Harlan's a big picture guy, he's not going to get into the nuts and bolts of who CWT hires or what changes need to be made. He's telling CWT he wants the football team fixed, and CWT needs to do what he thinks he needs to do to make it happen.

He's basically letting the leash out a little longer, but my guess is that we're at the end of the leash. Whatever CWT decides to do needs to work, or he won't work at USF any longer.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you that it's CWT's responsibility. But, unlike you, I'd still like to know who made the decision to fire the OC, DC, and DB coach. As noted by others, it's unusual to fire both the OC and DC in the same offseason. It smacks of desperation. And if Harlan (big picture guy that he is) thinks that firing or pressuring CWT to fire all of these folks is going to solve the problem when the problem is actually CWT, he's a fool. Better to leave them in place and clean house next year. Will CWT be able to bring anyone in that can actually make a difference under these conditions?

What happens if Taggart is fired? The new HC will pick his own coordinators. Then we're stuck with the bill for 1-2 more years for fired assistants.

The question posed was "what would it take"? Not saying I like it. I didn't fire the current assistants - CWT (perhaps because Harlan made him) did.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,729
  • Content Count:  37,561
  • Days Won:  29

Go the HS route and try to grab:

Joe Kinnan?

Robert Weiner? (for real this time)

...?

Word around the campfire ...

• Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Most likely will be hires with no OC and DC experience.