• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What are our chances of seeing a new offense?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,943
  • Days Won:  12

Taggart would be foolish to ignore the speed and skill in Florida. The only tweak should be to figure out how to tweak to utilize that.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

Until we get a new QB I'd say our chance is 35%....the same are our QB's completion ratio.

Edited by Bulls2k

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

We will be running the spread next year.   That's what scores points in college football these days so much so that even Nick Saban installed it after running more of a pro-style for years at Alabama.   Taggart's system can work, but not with this team and not these QB's.   To run his system you need accurate QB's.    In the spread you need a smart QB.    The ONLY thing our QB's did well this year was not throw a ton of interceptions.  

Spread offenses are a quick learn anyways which is a good thing.   Baylor's offense is essentially only about 15 different passing plays.  Most of the WR's are just decoys with the QB having the option to either thrown it to option 1 or find his check down.   What they do though is run the same exact play later on, with a different WR being option 1.   That's why it's so hard to beat.  You can't cover everyone so even when a play looks the same, the goal of it is different.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I was looking through a list of available coaches. One of the coaches that let go this past wee from Vanderbilt was Karl Dorrell. While he was the HC at UCLA he ran an offense that was similar to Taggart's. If you take the names of the coaches and schools out, then read some of the comments of the fans you would think they were talking about Taggart.

I am becoming more convinced that Taggart's offense will not win consistently here. Maybe a flash every 5 years or so, but everything needs to be perfect.

There needs to be some major tweaks to this offense.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I was looking through a list of available coaches. One of the coaches that let go this past wee from Vanderbilt was Karl Dorrell. While he was the HC at UCLA he ran an offense that was similar to Taggart's. If you take the names of the coaches and schools out, then read some of the comments of the fans you would think they were talking about Taggart.

I am becoming more convinced that Taggart's offense will not win consistently here. Maybe a flash every 5 years or so, but everything needs to be perfect.

There needs to be some major tweaks to this offense.

I've been saying this since day one.  College football has evolved away from the pro style power run game to a more spread type attack.  But Willie keeps "square peg round holing it".  Hopefully he tweaks the offense to a more spread attack and hires an OC that takes control of the play calling.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Until we get a new QB I'd say our chance is 35%....the same are our QB's completion ratio.

"Drops Mic"

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199

I agree for his system to work you need a Andrew Luck type qb and a superior line...we have neither.

If we try his system again it will fail.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I agree for his system to work you need a Andrew Luck type qb and a superior line...we have neither.

I don't believe that to be true.  If we had just an average QB, we would have won 6-8 games if not more because teams couldn't key on the run.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

no the philosophy will remain the same. run first power offense. might have a few new packages and play calling will be different but no real change in philosophy.

Pretty much dead on. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199

I don't believe that to be true. If we had just an average QB, we would have won 6-8 games if not more because teams couldn't key on the run.

8 might be pushing it but atleast 6 I would agree with. I just think it will be easier building a quality spread type offense in Florida than what Cwt wants to build.