• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"The Battle For The Gold Jersey" (Voodoofive)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

Voodoofive has pretty great idea: The team that wins the UCF-USF game each year gets to wear gold jerseys during the game the next season

"The Battle For The Gold Jersey"

The team that wins the UCF-USF game each year gets to wear gold jerseys during the game the next season. They can also wear a gold jersey for whatever game they'd like during the regular season, while the losing team cannot wear gold jerseys all year against any opponent under any circumstances.

Both teams share the color, and both teams haven't been shy about using multiple uniform combinations this season. We like this idea for many different reasons, but here are the biggest:

* When you buy a gold jersey as a USF or UCF fan, you'll now be making a statement. That statement is "I love my school, and that school over there can go to hell." I like this. Also think of the marketing implications: the next USF jersey you buy is much more likely to be a gold one (you're welcome, Under Armour and Nike), and tell me you're not wearing that gold jersey every day, week, and possibly month after the game to taunt your co-worker that graduated from Central Florida or vice versa.

* Players will want to win this game so they can wear that gold jersey with pride. Symbols of victory in games like this can be pretty cool, such as Ohio State and the gold pants given to players when they beat Michigan. But with this it's even better because getting that gold jersey will be something that can only be earned one way: by beating the opponent that wants it just as bad as you do.

* Not having worn a gold jersey for years on end will drive one of the two fan bases completely insane. Like borderline psychotic. We love this part.

Important point we've already thought of: Yes we know USF hasn't worn gold jerseys before while UCF does on a more frequent basis. We don't care. We also think USF underutilizes the gold side of the color palette they have, which can be really sharp when well-executed. We're also giving the Bulls a reason to sell more swag. We can't imagine they'd be opposed to this.

This shouldn't ever have become a rivalry. USF made some awful administrative decisions, and failed to stay ahead of the team they were clearly better than before, during, and after the 2005-2008 series. But it is what it is, and we are where we are.

Portions of both fan bases are going to continue to make a big deal out of this game. For reasons which I expressed on the podcast (will be posted soon) this week, as an older USF fan that always looked at Oviedo with a combination of disdain and pity it sucks that they will be the favorite two years in a row. But it shows the teams are on relatively equal footing over the long-term now. So let's acknowledge the obvious, and have some fun with it.

Someday I hope USF will develop a great rivalry with another school, but that day is not now. Since our marketing people are all in and our administration is all in and our coach is all in on this, let's #DoSomething.

C'mon, USF Athletics and UCF Athletics: let's make this happen.

#GoldJerseyGame

There's more at:

http://www.voodoofive.com/2014/11/26/7282419/lets-make-the-ucf-usf-rivalry-mean-something-the-battle-for-the-gold

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

That's a cool idea, but UCF won't go for it.  Their gold jersey is a primary one.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Step 1: win

Step 2: worry about what to call it

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I love this idea! My brother is a UCF grad and we'd buy one jersey for the winner to wear every year. Stencil our last name on the back with a number 1 on it...brilliant. I'm all for it!

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Our gold jerseys are non-existent.

Their gold jerseys are awful, we'd be doing them a favor.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

image3.jpg

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Step 1: win

Step 2: worry about what to call it

As Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn would say: "you get a piece of it, you can rename it"

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

Just to throw something useless into the discussion;

Each school has a distinct design of their respective "GOLD JERSEY". 

ONLY the winning team AND fans are allowed to wear that "Jersey" design to the game. 

Change the name of the game to "The I-4 Gold Rush"

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

They wear gold jerseys, we don't.    If you wanted to do this, it would be better to have a color that neither team wears, like Brown, or maybe a pattern like the state of Florida Flag.

Go Bulls!