• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rewatched last year's UCF game.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

Some thoughts

Far too many penalties throughout.

Run game was ineffective (83 yards 2.5 ypc)

White played decently but was still sub 50%. There were several deep passes where he badly missed open receivers.

We have shown improvement in these areas this year which is cause for optimism.

A couple other things

Hall burned us over and over on kickoff returns and was single-handedly responsible for 3 points based on 1 kick return into field goal range. Need to have a plan to contain him.

UCF gifted us 2 turnovers and we forced 3 others but only managed 10 points off of turnovers.

We left 6 points off the board and lost by 3. 4th and 2 within field goal range when we were up 6-3 early on and Taggart decided to go for it. Questionable call there as it wasn't 4th and inches or 4th and goal from the 2. Should have been an easy 3 points and getting the first down there doesn't guarantee a touchdown or even make a touchdown likely with our offense. Of course we failed to convert. Late in the game we had a chance to go up by 7 with a field goal, but the dreaded block below the waist penalty backed us up and made for a much harder 51 yard fg that was missed.

Reasons for optimism

The addition of Mack as a home run threat.

Davis appears to be back in form.

No Bortles or Storm Johnson and UCF's offense has taken a step back.

Defense should be hyped up and active and hopefully can force turnovers off the turnover prone Holman similar to last year.

White is marginally better with experience.

Team may be playing for Taggart's job. I think this is a much bigger game for us to have a good showing than UCF.

Is it weird to be feeling confident in a victory Friday?

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Team may be playing for Taggart's job. I think this is a much bigger game for us to have a good showing than UCF.

That could be a very double edged proposition.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

Some thoughts

White played decently but was still sub 50%. There were several deep passes where he badly missed open receivers.

A couple other things

Hall burned us over and over on kickoff returns and was single-handedly responsible for 3 points based on 1 kick return into field goal range. Need to have a plan to contain him.

UCF gifted us 2 turnovers and we forced 3 others but only managed 10 points off of turnovers.

We left 6 points off the board and lost by 3. 4th and 2 within field goal range when we were up 6-3 early on and Taggart decided to go for it. Questionable call there as it wasn't 4th and inches or 4th and goal from the 2. Should have been an easy 3 points and getting the first down there doesn't guarantee a touchdown or even make a touchdown likely with our offense. Of course we failed to convert. Late in the game we had a chance to go up by 7 with a field goal, but the dreaded block below the waist penalty backed us up and made for a much harder 51 yard fg that was missed.

Reasons for optimism

Defense should be hyped up and active and hopefully can force turnovers off the turnover prone Holman similar to last year.

nice summary. view from the other side

-USF players to were pumped(looking at sidelines during tv timeouts)

-UCF did not have an answer to Aaryn Lynch all game, he wreaked havok

-It was the worst Bortles looked all season, he held onto the ball way too long all game and never took the check down options. He still made the big throw when needed

-Storm was benched most of the 2nd half after the 2 fumbles on the first 2 drives that got into the red zone but ended with 0 points

-White was composed most of the game till he telegraphed the INT that won it

This season the UCF offensive line is not as good or experienced. Holman is raw and mistake prone but very talented.  He shows much more emotion compared to Bortles. The UCF Defense is better than last season but still prone to giving up big plays. Mobile QBs or wildcat packages have given the UCF D the most problems this season

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

USF defense way worse this year, UCF offense not as good this year. So the recipe is there for this to still be somewhat close due to the emotions and USF trying to get one more win/end the year on a high note/etc etc etc, but I think UCF will manage to get some big plays just because, and unless USF gets some breakout success on offense, the end score will not be as close as the game was probably.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

UCiF will destroy us

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

UCiF will destroy us

I haven't seen that phrase posted for a while lol

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

Some thoughts

A couple other things

Reasons for optimism

This is the key.  There have been 1 or 2 games where this D has shown signs that they can be good, but overall, they don't seem as good as last year.  Hopefully the few of us who are there can make some noise for them.  RJS has not been much of a home field advantage for us lately.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

UCiF will destroy us

I haven't seen that phrase posted for a while lol

because lately it's been USiF lol

/now i'm sad

Edited by Danm1983

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574