• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I seen enough from the Memphis game to say that CWT........

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

deserves another year to get this turned around. Vegas had USF losing by 20 pts to Memphis, but USF was able to keep it at 11 points. CWT is on the right track with recruiting. He played a lot of Fr and Sophs that will be better. Things are looking up for USF. Keep the faith and give CWT one more season.

What did you see in this game that would lead you to believe things will be better next year? You do realize that Mcfarland and Davis are graduating. Besides those two, the rest of the offense was 1 play by Mack for 75 yards. We only had another 17 yards on ground. That is pretty bad for a run oriented offense.

Or was it the 3 timeouts we had to call because Taggart didn't get the plays in until there were only 12 seconds left on the play clock.

The majority of the Freshman that are positively contributing are defense. That defense gave up almost 500 yards. There have been at least 3 games where they have given up over 300 yards in a half.

I get that the OP likes to look at the bright side of things, but the reality is there doesn't appear to be any positive progression from the coaching staff unless there are major changes to their approach.

The freshmen RBs are very good, but even if they improve even more next year, what will that bring to the team. Mack is already the conference rushing leader and we still can't keep games against the top half of the league competitive into the 4th quarter.

At this point I see the problems more at the coaching schemes, SITUATIONAL play calling and team preparation than with the talent.

How can you say there hasnt been positive progression? We have doubled our win total from last season; +1 progression. Offensive numbers are up accross the board (yards, tds, scoring); +2 progression,

Rebuilding a program from the ground up takes time. If you think this was gonna happen over night then you are sadly mistaken and might as well stop reading and posting on message boards as it will just give you a headache. CWT will get atleast 2 more years to right the ship.

Any gains in offense were negated by a drastic regression on defense.

You look at one aspect. I am looking at the whole team. Against all but the worst teams, this team has not been competitive into the 4th quarter.

Even if we only won two games this year, real progression could have been shown by their competitiveness late into games which would lead one to believe we were just a few breaks or players away from success.

We are still a couple of years away.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,336
  • Days Won:  43

And I am not saying that CWT is the answer for USF. I just think that he deserves one more season to see if he can change our outlook on him as a head coach. I have my doubts as I think he is a good recruiter and good assitant coach. Dont think he has what it takes to be a head coach in AAC. And that is sad as it is not as like the AAC is strong. I hope CWT proves me wrong next season as I want USF to succeed, but I am not holding my breathe. The good news is that he is bringing in HS talent so the next coach will have something to work with unlike what CWT had.  So I would say USF is better this season compared to the past two seasons. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I saved money this year on tickets and it looks like next year too...

Wow you are AWSOME man, way to show them people at USF!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,453
  • Days Won:  13

And I am not saying that CWT is the answer for USF. I just think that he deserves one more season to see if he can change our outlook on him as a head coach. I have my doubts as I think he is a good recruiter and good assitant coach. Dont think he has what it takes to be a head coach in AAC. And that is sad as it is not as like the AAC is strong. I hope CWT proves me wrong next season as I want USF to succeed, but I am not holding my breathe. The good news is that he is bringing in HS talent so the next coach will have something to work with unlike what CWT had.  So I would say USF is better this season compared to the past two seasons. 

I question how good this recruiting class will be on NSD. If I were a kid no way would I come to this dumpster fire.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

deserves another year to get this turned around. Vegas had USF losing by 20 pts to Memphis, but USF was able to keep it at 11 points. CWT is on the right track with recruiting. He played a lot of Fr and Sophs that will be better. Things are looking up for USF. Keep the faith and give CWT one more season.

What did you see in this game that would lead you to believe things will be better next year? You do realize that Mcfarland and Davis are graduating. Besides those two, the rest of the offense was 1 play by Mack for 75 yards. We only had another 17 yards on ground. That is pretty bad for a run oriented offense.

Or was it the 3 timeouts we had to call because Taggart didn't get the plays in until there were only 12 seconds left on the play clock.

The majority of the Freshman that are positively contributing are defense. That defense gave up almost 500 yards. There have been at least 3 games where they have given up over 300 yards in a half.

I get that the OP likes to look at the bright side of things, but the reality is there doesn't appear to be any positive progression from the coaching staff unless there are major changes to their approach.

The freshmen RBs are very good, but even if they improve even more next year, what will that bring to the team. Mack is already the conference rushing leader and we still can't keep games against the top half of the league competitive into the 4th quarter.

At this point I see the problems more at the coaching schemes, SITUATIONAL play calling and team preparation than with the talent.

They have given up over 300 yards in a half I believe 5 times. That is the difference between winning 4 games and wininng 7 games at this point. UCfs offense is just as bad and they have 7 wins but the #2 total defense.

Taggart had a top 8 RB in the country for 2 years at Western Kentucky. that's how much improvement the running game can make especially with the o-linemen he is bringing in. Mack has had a terrific year and he is only 39th in the country. add another 700 yards per year to his total to get where his backs at WKU finished.

Not sure if you are new to USF football but Leavitt and Holtz were both terrible with their timeouts. situational play calling was awful at times as well. (voo doo five-settling for FG on 3rd down from 2 yard line with 10 seconds left in half).

personally i like the offensive scheme. it will obviously take time to build a decent o-line and it's tough to run it with a very young QB. our offenses have never really been ranked higher than 60ish in the past consistently. I think TEs and FBs have been a bright spot in our offense. Swanson is a very good football player. McFarland has done o.k. although I thought play call to him in endzone yesterday was dumb when you had #7 in man coverage.

I do wish our defense was more aggressive like it was back in leavitt's day.

You almost make my points for me.

Taggart had the 8th best running back in the country, even with one of the most productive TEs in the country and yet, with the exception of 3 or 4 wins during his entire tenure at WKU all of the wins were vs extremely bad teams. Most were agains 2 or 3 win bottom dwellars.

McFarland graduates, Price probably has more holding calls than receptions during his career and 3/5 of the OL will be playing together for the first time next year.

This is not a debate about what happened with previous regimes, although I do agree both former coaches left some play calling to be desired. This is about what Taggart can do. There are just times when he is confused about how to adjust to an adjustment made against him.

He has not proven, during his time here or even during his previous coachong experience that this offense will produce a proven winner. Another 700 yards will just be padding stats.

There has been nothing. NOTHING, to show this team is on the way up.

How am I making your points for you? The running game can and will get better. 40% more production out of your running game is padding stats? it's a good thing our o-line will be 3/5ths new. they aren't very good now. replacing them with kids who had offers and signed with top schools like stanford is a good thing. not sure how you spin that as a negative.it's called upgrading your talent.

most teams at our level have a good many of their wins against bad teams. Taggart had 3 years there to take a terrible program and resurect it. our conference leader Memphis has conference wins against 0-10 SMU, 2-9 Tulsa, 3-8 Tulane, 4-7 USF, 5-5 Temple with their final game against 2-8 UConn. they have 1 quality win on their schedule and that is Cincy and yet they will win our conference.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,336
  • Days Won:  43

I question how good this recruiting class will be on NSD. If I were a kid no way would I come to this dumpster fire.

That is going to be interesting to say the least. I believe Harlan needs to pay attention to the recruiting. USF cant afford to do bad there right now. Recruiting has been one of the few positives that CWT brought to the table. If we see that dip, then he is pretty much done at USF in my opinion. 

with the way you talk about USF you would never sign here anyway. he signed a great class last year after a worse season. it might be tough to match but he will sign a very good class again. great recruiters do that.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The point is you can add another 700 rushing yards and still only possibly be a middle of the road conference team. There is nothing in his history to suggest he can beat more than just the worst teams in his conference. Even that is a question mark.

You are seeing something that I don't. I don't see team improvement. I don't see

It now and with so many first time players at key positions next year. I don't see much improvement for another 2 years.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Trip, are you going to let that headline stand ???

3927738-1230972750-gramm.jpg

Not enough time in the day to start that stuff ...

The point is you can add another 700 rushing yards and still only possibly be a middle of the road conference team. There is nothing in his history to suggest he can beat more than just the worst teams in his conference. Even that is a question mark.

You are seeing something that I don't. I don't see team improvement. I don't see

It now and with so many first time players at key positions next year. I don't see much improvement for another 2 years.

he was middle of the road in year 2 and 3 during a total rebuild job. He is the 5th youngest coach in division 1. of course he doesn't have much of a history. he hasn't even coached a full 5 years yet. turning around a program in our condition doesn't happen in 2 years.

I see improvement. we were absolutely a worse team last year. we won our only 2 games without scoring an offensive TD. we only scored 11 all year. Our defense has gotten worse for sure and that's largely due to how young they are. if we had last years defense with this years offense we would have a much better record. I expect our offense to continue to progress and our D to mature in the next couple of years.