• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Survey via email

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  807
  • Days Won:  1

I told them I was okay with low,scoring defensive football as long as we won. To me winning trumps all. If that means the defense gets a couple of short fields and we put TDs on the board to put the other team in a hole they can't recover from, it's enough for me. Besides, there is something quietly inspiring about a power run game plowing another team into the ground in the 4th quarter as we stomp the life out of the other team...but we have to do that.

I honestly can't disagree more. If we were in the SEC or something and we're seeing top defensive players play that's one thing. But we're in a scrub conference and can't score any points against some of the worst teams in the nation. Tough for me to live with that.
Do you seriously feel offense cures all? Memphis and Houston both have fantastic defenses. Guess who's leading the conference. Do you think their fan bases are complaining? We had a great offense in 2011 and it didn't get us to a bowl game because the defense kept choking away games. Our biggest wins (2007 auburn and wvu, fsu 2009, etc) came because our defense came up and embarrassed the other teams. Offense was merely competent in those games.

Memphis has put up 35 or more in 7 games this season.

In 7 games this year we've failed to put up more than 17.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

I told them I was okay with low,scoring defensive football as long as we won. To me winning trumps all. If that means the defense gets a couple of short fields and we put TDs on the board to put the other team in a hole they can't recover from, it's enough for me. Besides, there is something quietly inspiring about a power run game plowing another team into the ground in the 4th quarter as we stomp the life out of the other team...but we have to do that.

I honestly can't disagree more. If we were in the SEC or something and we're seeing top defensive players play that's one thing. But we're in a scrub conference and can't score any points against some of the worst teams in the nation. Tough for me to live with that.
Do you seriously feel offense cures all? Memphis and Houston both have fantastic defenses. Guess who's leading the conference. Do you think their fan bases are complaining? We had a great offense in 2011 and it didn't get us to a bowl game because the defense kept choking away games. Our biggest wins (2007 auburn and wvu, fsu 2009, etc) came because our defense came up and embarrassed the other teams. Offense was merely competent in those games.

2007 Auburn and WVU we scored 26 and 21 respectively. 12 of our last 13 FBS opponents have held us below 21 points. The competition hasn't exactly been Auburn or WVU level either. There is a difference between being decent offensively and having a good defense that carries you and what we are doing. You can't be atrocious offensively, rated 120+ out of 128 teams and expect the defense to win games consistently.

Fair points, but this survey has little to do with usf football as it is now. It's for usf football as we would like to see it ideally.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  807
  • Days Won:  1

2007 Auburn and WVU we scored 26 and 21 respectively. 12 of our last 13 FBS opponents have held us below 21 points. The competition hasn't exactly been Auburn or WVU level either. There is a difference between being decent offensively and having a good defense that carries you and what we are doing. You can't be atrocious offensively, rated 120+ out of 128 teams and expect the defense to win games consistently.

Bingo.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,075
  • Days Won:  2

Think about how some of those points were scored or the circumstances which they were set up.  No doubt the offense was better then but those victories were secured due to the defense. Maybe the defense would look better if the offense could move the ball a little more.

Edited by Mission9

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Found it interesting. Don't remember it last year.

Edited by DELdaBull

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  487
  • Days Won:  0

I told them that I'd donate donate to an OCS fund if it were started.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Memphis is averaged 34.4 ppg. They've been very good on defense, but have been very good on offense as well. All the credit does not just go to defense..

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Defense gets you championships

Offense gets you butts in seats

You need both

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Bring back the pre-game video of the bull running thru the crates as they fall off the truck.

The best!

Bring back the wins that was better...

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,948
  • Days Won:  12

Was this to season ticket holders?