• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

APR by Year/Coach

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

I'm going to take a different approach here when it comes to what has happened over the years to our program.

For those not familiar with APR (Academic Progess Rate), "The Academic Progress Rate (APR) is a term-by-term measure of eligibility and retention for Division I student-athletes that was developed as an early indicator of eventual graduation rates."

If you compare the years and to whom was the coach during that year, I don't think that Levitt was being held at the same standard as was Taggart or even Skippy. Yes, we are a young program and had to take a whatever talent we could at times but we all know the best athletes aren't always the most educated.

Take a look at these figures, pretty interesting to look at if you ask me.

APR by Year

APR by Coach

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

What do you think is interesting ? 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

That we weren't ready for this bogus "progress rate" when the NCAA made it up out of thin air.

How we landed on the moon.

Comparing the APR of our three coaches and how the GPA and graduation rate is much better than previous teams. I'm sure we could be much better if we went after kids that were great athletes but no idea where the library is on campus.

Look at Leon Allen at WKU for instance. He missed his whole junior year due to grades and then was a beast and helped earn a class 7A State Championship while at Manatee.

Yes, we want wins but we need to be able to make sure these kids learn a thing or two as well. When CJL started, he didn't have the smartest kids on the block but he sure did put some wins together. So, with everyone complaining about CWT and how he should be fired, why don't we lower our academic standard and start to recruit athletes that are "gamers?"

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

The links provided defaulted to search pages.

Also, the APR represents players who graduated, so none of them were originally recruited or signed by Taggart. He just happens to be the current USF coach, and it's misleading to give him the credit.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Year

2003-04 
2004-05
2005-06
2006-07
2007-08
2008-09
2009-10
2010-11
2011-12
2012-13

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Year        APR   Coach

2003-04   969   Leavitt
2004-05   879   Leavitt
2005-06   879   Leavitt
2006-07   937   Leavitt
2007-08   944   Leavitt
2008-09   956   Leavitt
2009-10   969   Holtz
2010-11   982   Holtz
2011-12   960   Holtz
2012-13   983   Taggart
Edited by Bull Martin

Also, the APR represents players who graduated, so none of them were originally recruited or signed by Taggart. He just happens to be the current USF coach, and it's misleading to give him the credit.

Wasn't attempting to give anyone credit or discredit another one. Just thought that it was interesting to see the progress over the years. So it's not good to look at those who have graduated while playing over the years?

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Wasn't attempting to give anyone credit or discredit another one. Just thought that it was interesting to see the progress over the years. So it's not good to look at those who have graduated while playing over the years?

You originally wrote: "If you compare the years and to whom was the coach during that year, I don't think that Levitt was being held at the same standard as was Taggart or even Skippy."

The APR is a four year average. Every year they drop the earliest one from the previous APR and add a later one to get the new APR average.

Also, if you notice the APR significantly dropped for a couple of years when we were accepted into a BCS conference the Big East. I suggest that happened mainly as the result of more BCS level players coming in which then resulted in lesser players leaving. That not only occurred in FB, but in many of our other sports as well.

It was only after those bad APR transition years were no longer counted that our four year rate stabilized.

As a result of our poor multiyear APR (not only in FB) USF added an academic committee to oversee recruiting across the board. Many players who were denied admission by them went on to have success at other BCS schools. A few years later, that committee was disbanded. I don't think there was ever an official reason given, but it clearly put us at a recruiting disadvantage.

• Upvote 1

You originally wrote: "If you compare the years and to whom was the coach during that year, I don't think that Levitt was being held at the same standard as was Taggart or even Skippy."

The APR is a four year average. Every year they drop the earliest one from the previous APR and add a later one to get the new APR average.

Also, if you notice the APR significantly dropped for a couple of years when we were accepted into a BCS conference the Big East. I suggest that happened mainly as the result of more BCS level players coming in which then resulted in lesser players leaving. That not only occurred in FB, but in many of our other sports as well.

It was only after those bad APR transition years were no longer counted that our four year rate stabilized.

As a result of our poor multiyear APR (not only in FB) USF added an academic committee to oversee recruiting across the board. Many players who were denied admission by them went on to have success at other BCS schools. A few years later, that committee was disbanded. I don't think there was ever an official reason given, but it clearly put us at a recruiting disadvantage.

Well put!