• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers Starting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

For all of you that said, "Start Flowers, how much worse can it get?"  I think you found out.  I understand why CWT started him.  He's looking for one of the QBs to step up an perform consistently and thought, "It's SMU, we can run all over them."  The problem is, if you can't throw at all, then the D can put 8 or 9 in the box, making it extremely difficult to run.

I, personally, hope we never see Flowers at QB again.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

For all of you that said, "Start Flowers, how much worse can it get?"  I think you found out.  I understand why CWT started him.  He's looking for one of the QBs to step up an perform consistently and thought, "It's SMU, we can run all over them."  The problem is, if you can't throw at all, then the D can put 8 or 9 in the box, making it extremely difficult to run.

I disagree with the last part.  The guy has some excitement there.  But he has at least one year, probably two more before he can perform at the level needed.  He really, really needs to work on his throwing mechanics.  He may never get there, but he could be terrific.

However it should have been obvious even to a lousy talent evaluator like Taggart that he isn't ready to run the offense. 

Everyone says Taggart can recruit.  I'm beginning to have serious doubts.  Maybe we are getting all these "highly ranked" recruits because the other teams aren't pushing hard to get them.  Taggart can't even make good decisions about the players on his own team that should be starting.  How do we really expect him to make good choices on the recruiting trail?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  301
  • Days Won:  0

I agree that maybe CWT and staff's ability to evaluate talent is suspect. It could be that we were so crappy when he got here that nothing was going to work, but I go back to him giving Floyd the nod to start the season and the disastrous results that's came from it. I would still say that CWT can sign good players but we have to find a QB. I don't have faith that White can get it done week after week.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,327
  • Days Won:  43

I disagree with the last part.  The guy has some excitement there.  But he has at least one year, probably two more before he can perform at the level needed.  He really, really needs to work on his throwing mechanics.  He may never get there, but he could be terrific.

However it should have been obvious even to a lousy talent evaluator like Taggart that he isn't ready to run the offense. 

Everyone says Taggart can recruit.  I'm beginning to have serious doubts.  Maybe we are getting all these "highly ranked" recruits because the other teams aren't pushing hard to get them.  Taggart can't even make good decisions about the players on his own team that should be starting.  How do we really expect him to make good choices on the recruiting trail?

According to the recruting experts, USF has had the best class in AAC. Not sure what you are getting at. Are you questioning the recruiting experts? Flowers is a four star recruit. Considered the #9 rated dual threat QB in the nation during HS. Taggart recruiting Andrew Luck to Stanford, so I trust his recruiting judgements. I just dont think he has learned how to coach up the young players yet. Hopefully, that comes with time. 

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

He managed the game well. Had some ups and downs. A solid first career start on the road in marginal weather conditions and a limited playbook.

Go get em Q!

I have to agree, overall I thought he played pretty well. He'll learn that you can't throw the ball on the sideline which was his biggest issue, completing passes that were out of bounds.

Also had several balls dropped. I have no problem with him.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,327
  • Days Won:  43

He managed the game well. Had some ups and downs. A solid first career start on the road in marginal weather conditions and a limited playbook.

Go get em Q!

I have to agree, overall I thought he played pretty well. He'll learn that you can't throw the ball on the sideline which was his biggest issue, completing passes that were out of bounds.

Also had several balls dropped. I have no problem with him.

The fumble by Davis killed the offense. Would love to see what happens if the fumble never happens as they were driving. QF has tons of potential. 

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

The weather was awful. Rodney adams was out. And drops/penalties/turnovers didnt help Q at all. His first career drive he went 70+ yards down field but instead of a fg we turned it over on downs.

Mechanically he definitely needs work. White should start the rest of the year but give Q a chance to compete next year. If brett kean makes it to campus, then odds are flowers will move to receiver

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

I was actually i impressed by Flowers last night. He did better than I expected. Were there some bad throws and a couple bad decisions on who to throw to sure there was.

But the kid extended multiple plays where he should have been sacked only to get out of the pocket and get the ball off. He needs to work on his mechanics and reads but so does every other QB on our roster. Much too early to throw in the v towel on him ever being a solid QB here.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  707
  • Days Won:  1

I didn't watch the game, but I sid check the stats and though stats can be misleading, tell my why the kid shouldn't start again? His completion percent left much to be desired yes BUT he extended plays. Not to mention his first start back to back with what I swear was his brothers death? Give the kid a break, let him play through it and get better. He can tweek his mechanics in practice. He may not be "polished", but the other guys you might call polished are pretty miserable.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Hard to say. It was against an historically bad team and he didn't exactly dominate them after the first series.

On the other hand if Taggart kicks the gimme field goal things probably go a lot different for Flowers.

The problem with playing a team as bad as SMU is you don't get to see if a guy is really ready to perform, only if he can't hack it against the worst of the worst.

We did learn even the worst of the worst will eventually stop a one dimensional offense.