• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its Time to Turn the Page on Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  2

Ever notice most taking dumps on Taggart are unapologetic Holtz fans?   USF went  from a team which went to a few bowls and would win 6 to 9 games a season to a real crappy team in 3 years.  So using this logic (if you want to call it that) we give one guy 3 years to flush the team down the toilet but  the successor only gets 2 to get it out of the sewer.  Makes sense.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,943
  • Days Won:  12

Ever notice most taking dumps on Taggart are unapologetic Holtz fans?   USF went  from a team which went to a few bowls and would win 6 to 9 games a season to a real crappy team in 3 years.  So using this logic (if you want to call it that) we give one guy 3 years to flush the team down the toilet but  the successor only gets 2 to get it out of the sewer.  Makes sense.

You are missing the point. Most people have seen enough in those two years to decide that Taggart is not the guy. Myself included. 

Also, many wanted Holtz out after two years.

You are missing the point. Most people have seen enough in those two years to decide that Taggart is not the guy. Myself included. 

I  did not support Holtz's firing despite a fall to 5-7 and several  defensive collapses at the worst times.That would probably not have been prudent. I thought he should have been given a shot to fix the situation but he failed.   If Taggart had taken over a decent team and finished poorly twice, I would agree.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

The thing I'm not sure I like really is this idea that 2015 is the year Willie is on the hot seat and he has to win a lot or get fired. Based on what the QB situation looks like right now I can tell you that 2015 isn't exactly going to be a banner year for South Florida football. So why bother waiting?

I think rather you give him some time to work this QB problem out, until you sense the guy is just tragically inept when it comes to judging the position, recruiting it, and making start decisions. And admittedly, we're about halfway there on that.

In my opinion, the problem with making the argument for keeping Willie around for another 2 to 3 years, for the long term turnaround, is the situation with the attendance.

If we had a somewhat stable fan base, one that Harlan could count on to provide about 30,000 in season ticket sales and another 10,000 or so butts in seats, there is no problem sticking it out

However, with an already disinterested, declining fan base where attendance is nearing all time lows consistently, Harlan has to consider what another year of boring, mediocre football will do to the interest level of the fan base long term.

If you have to wait another 2 years for the team to start winning or at least be entertaining, it will be at least another 2 years for the seats to start filling up.

In the big picture, Harlan's job is to create revenue for the University by selling tickets or raising funds. If he has to wait another 4 years for that, he was a waste of money too.

If Taggart could at least put an exciting product on the field so people could be entertained I think we could up with not winning for another year or two.

This.

As i've said elsewhere, if you're boring you better win, and if you're losing you better be exciting.

Boring, losing football will kill the ticket revenue

Losing football will kill the ticket revenue, especially here. I think the vast majority of fans gone over the last few years are gone because of the overall losing not who the coach is/was. The loudmouthed haters supposedly going to leave JUST because of Taggart are a minority. Fans will come back with winning, not just a simple coaching change. All these examples of coaches being fired after just two years, supposedly trying to energize the fanbase, may have worked else elsewhere but I don't see it working here ... unless you get an extremely high profile coach and it's back to if could we afford one. Taggart needs a legitimate chance to get the program back on track, minimum 3 years .... which is what most rational fans here are calling for anyway.

Losing football HAS killed ticket revenue.  You wanna predict that at 7pm tonight it will be dark outside, as well?  

Those on here calling for Taggart's departure aren't doing it because of hate or we just don't like the guy, hey that was the tact taken by the Leavitt haters and we know where that got us, don't we.  We unfortunately have seen enough of Low-T's vision.........it's a vision shrouded in darkness and despair, similar to the aura in the seats and club sections of RJS during home games....and we don't see a winning organizational structure or mindset.   More losing will yield even lower donor levels and less ticket sales so an impersonal business decision is required of the AD and USF President.  Are they willing to gamble future failure by "The Mechanic" and his staff because they like him?  There's certainly more than enough games to indicate that there has been less than zero improvement over last year, regardless of the number of W's against subpar competition.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

The warning signs were there with Holtz. Very similar warning signs are there with Taggart. I think that's why folks are quicker to pull the trigger this time.

The only benefit he really has over Holtz is recruiting, and that's tapered off severely this recruiting season.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574

Ever notice most taking dumps on Taggart are unapologetic Holtz fans? USF went from a team which went to a few bowls and would win 6 to 9 games a season to a real crappy team in 3 years. So using this logic (if you want to call it that) we give one guy 3 years to flush the team down the toilet but the successor only gets 2 to get it out of the sewer. Makes sense.

I wamted Holtz gone after 2 years and I kept hearing the same poop I hear about Taggart. He needs more of his own players I wore bags at Holtz games. UCF will be my last game while wet Willie is there We dang near lost to SMU and his player decisions continue to baffle me Edited by snarling Bull

Snarling Bull, you are one of the few who I have no issue with on this. You were not a Holtz apologist.  I remember the bags.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574

Snarling Bull, you are one of the few who I have no issue with on this. You were not a Holtz apologist. I remember the bags.

Thank youðŸ˜

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

The thing I'm not sure I like really is this idea that 2015 is the year Willie is on the hot seat and he has to win a lot or get fired. Based on what the QB situation looks like right now I can tell you that 2015 isn't exactly going to be a banner year for South Florida football. So why bother waiting?

I think rather you give him some time to work this QB problem out, until you sense the guy is just tragically inept when it comes to judging the position, recruiting it, and making start decisions. And admittedly, we're about halfway there on that.

In my opinion, the problem with making the argument for keeping Willie around for another 2 to 3 years, for the long term turnaround, is the situation with the attendance.

If we had a somewhat stable fan base, one that Harlan could count on to provide about 30,000 in season ticket sales and another 10,000 or so butts in seats, there is no problem sticking it out

However, with an already disinterested, declining fan base where attendance is nearing all time lows consistently, Harlan has to consider what another year of boring, mediocre football will do to the interest level of the fan base long term.

If you have to wait another 2 years for the team to start winning or at least be entertaining, it will be at least another 2 years for the seats to start filling up.

In the big picture, Harlan's job is to create revenue for the University by selling tickets or raising funds. If he has to wait another 4 years for that, he was a waste of money too.

If Taggart could at least put an exciting product on the field so people could be entertained I think we could up with not winning for another year or two.

This.

As i've said elsewhere, if you're boring you better win, and if you're losing you better be exciting.

Boring, losing football will kill the ticket revenue

Losing football will kill the ticket revenue, especially here. I think the vast majority of fans gone over the last few years are gone because of the overall losing not who the coach is/was. The loudmouthed haters supposedly going to leave JUST because of Taggart are a minority. Fans will come back with winning, not just a simple coaching change. All these examples of coaches being fired after just two years, supposedly trying to energize the fanbase, may have worked else elsewhere but I don't see it working here ... unless you get an extremely high profile coach and it's back to if could we afford one. Taggart needs a legitimate chance to get the program back on track, minimum 3 years .... which is what most rational fans here are calling for anyway.

Losing football HAS killed ticket revenue.  You wanna predict that at 7pm tonight it will be dark outside, as well?  

Those on here calling for Taggart's departure aren't doing it because of hate or we just don't like the guy, hey that was the tact taken by the Leavitt haters and we know where that got us, don't we.  We unfortunately have seen enough of Low-T's vision.........it's a vision shrouded in darkness and despair, similar to the aura in the seats and club sections of RJS during home games....and we don't see a winning organizational structure or mindset.   More losing will yield even lower donor levels and less ticket sales so an impersonal business decision is required of the AD and USF President.  Are they willing to gamble future failure by "The Mechanic" and his staff because they like him?  There's certainly more than enough games to indicate that there has been less than zero improvement over last year, regardless of the number of W's against subpar competition.

You're not going to be happy until Leaviit's hired back ...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

Snarling Bull, you are one of the few who I have no issue with on this. You were not a Holtz apologist.  I remember the bags.

Wanting to change football coaches every two years IS an issue ...