• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Congratulations athlete students.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I guarantee you that Alabama and FSU are concerned with graduation rates as a bad APR could result in a loss of scholarships.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

This is definitely something to be proud of. I want to win as much as the next fan, but these athletes are real people who will have lives after graduation. Ensuring they're concerned with that and their academics while here is more than the right thing to do; it's the only ethical way to run a program. Kudos to everyone involved in this achievement!...we can be proud of our Bulls.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

I guarantee you that Alabama and FSU are concerned with graduation rates as a bad APR could result in a loss of scholarships.

I was speaking from the fan's perspective ; from a program's perspective it matters but the reaction isn't " let's go get more academic kids and help them excel in the classroom " it's "what turors can we get to take these kids classes?" or "do we have faculty that are willing to make up fictitious classes?". The scholarship is given because of athletic preformance ( and is only given year to year and can be yanked at any time) and if kid is able to preform on and off the field all the better but I for one am not going to delude myself into thinking that it's some kind of travesty if someone is not academically gifted, gets an opportunity they wouldn't otherwise be afforded if not athletic and chooses not to utilize their academic opportunity but still preforms on the field.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

890 would get us scholarship reductions, I believe.

890 would get us scholarship reductions, I believe.

Only after year two, year one you get a stern warning letter.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

I was speaking from the fan's perspective ; from a program's perspective it matters but the reaction isn't " let's go get more academic kids and help them excel in the classroom " it's "what turors can we get to take these kids classes?" or "do we have faculty that are willing to make up fictitious classes?". The scholarship is given because of athletic preformance ( and is only given year to year and can be yanked at any time) and if kid is able to preform on and off the field all the better but I for one am not going to delude myself into thinking that it's some kind of travesty if someone is not academically gifted, gets an opportunity they wouldn't otherwise be afforded if not athletic and chooses not to utilize their academic opportunity but still preforms on the field.

Have you seen some of those Alabama fans? Woof.. I'd be shocked if some of them "graduated" middle school.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Obviously the issue is people want to see sports and could care less about academics as evidenced by comments here and elsewhere. Some apparently just want slaves caring neither for academics and taken aback for actually paying them any portion of what revenues they generate. As pointed out in the Epix documentary Schooled, these athletes aren't getting an education, but instead a degree. How could they get an education? Now over 50% of their time is on athletics, not academics, the first time in history. They have more on field contact than an NFL player in a year. Some come in and can't read or write and have been pushed through school because of their athletic ability. NC got caught but are hardly the only ones to create fake classes for athletes. But hey, if they win games, who cares?

Edited by slick1ru2

Puc,

For the sake of your academic "preformance", it's "performance" we're after.

Go Bulls!

Thanks for the heads up on my post having two letters missequened. I like you and your attention to detail and if you are trying to apply as my editor you may have the job. If you would like to live in the south florida area and are interested just pm me and we can set up an interview , I think I would be willing pay you $12 an hour just for the fun of it.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Puc,

For the sake of your academic "preformance", it's "performance" we're after.

Go Bulls!

Thanks for the heads up on my post having two letters missequened.

Did you mean "missequenced?" 

Sorry, couldn't help myself.