• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

USF notes: Taggart will wait to name starting QB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

giphy.gif

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,696
  • Days Won:  2

Texas A&M opened up their qb competition this week

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

Just start Bench in 1st half then pull him and put in White in 2nd half if Bench does not play well. Problem solved. 

you forgot to mention that flowers will go in for a series as soon as bench scores a TD :D

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Neither QB is the future.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

Taggart is in a tough situation right now.

White - 2 star QB that was ranked 79th in the country in High School -  He's just not getting it done.  Yeah when Andre gets wide open he finds him but otherwise he's just awful.  He doesn't see the field well, and his accuracy overall is awful.   At this point I don't think he can go back to him.

Bench - 3 star QB that was ranked 58th in the country in High School - He was destined to ride the bench for 4 years at Penn State so he came here.   Just like White he has been up and down when he has hit the field.   He has shown some flashes at times, but at other times he has looked just as bad as White.

Flowers - 4 star ATHLETE.  Half of the recruiting websites don't even consider him to be a QB prospect.  We saw why when he came in and starting throwing interceptions right away.   He may techinally be a "4-Star" but he is obviously not close to being ready yet and is way too raw to expect a high level of play.

Wilson - Redshirt Freshman walk-on that has had zero time with the 1st team, and probebly almost no time with the 2nd team either.  If we are expecting a walk-on QB to do anything then we are in trouble.

Taggart has been recruiting extremely well overall since he got here, but if he doesn't find a QB by 2015, he is doomed.   The scary thing is that if you look at the prospects at QB for next year, only 13 of the top 100 QB's are uncommitted still, and the only one we have is Kean, whose only other offers have been from MAC and D-2 schools.

According to ESPN Recruiting, White was a 3-star, ranked as 37th at QB-PP. Mike has the tools, so I'm not sure why you're attaching "awful" to those attributes. What is fair to say awful about is his head game.

For what it's worth, Taggart recruited Brandon Doughty at WKU, and look at how the kid is doing this year (he was a 3 star, 74th ranked QB). 3rd in the nation in throwing yards and TD throws. He had two full years to develop as back up, and began starting as a junior.

White's accuracy has been awful.   He is 123rd out of 126 QB's in terms of accuracy.   Nobody can defend that.  Go to Scout and he was the 78th overall QB.  37th Pocket Passer is nothing, especially at a time when in College Football you need someone who is a Duel Threat.  The only Pocket Passers that end up doing anything these days are the best of the best and that's it.

And no he doesn't see the field well at all.  He makes his 1st read and if that isn't there he either takes a sack, or just throws the ball away.  Our running backs this year have 15 receptions.  TOTAL.  There are 60 Running backs in the country that have more receptions then that on their own.  If you don't even have 1 reception per half by your running back then your going to lose a lot of games.   White has absolutely no idea where his check down is when nothing is there, and he hasn't gotten better at finding those guys.

You missed my second point. High School ratings don't mean a whole lot. I'd love to get a guy like Brandon Doughty here at USF. But if we were to recruit a guy like him with those "ratings" I guarantee most would not be happy.

And for argument's sake: Our RB's are almost always blocking. There are a few times I recall seeing where they check down. I really question whether you watch USF football games or if you make your judgments just by looking at numbers on a screen.

For the record, it is pretty clear our QB situation is complete crap...

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

How bout giving this guy a shot. Can't get much worse.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  88

If neither White or Bench have taken control of the position and once this team is eliminated from being bowl eligible, I'd like to see them go down the depth chart and give Evan Wilson a shot. He looked like the most natural QB in preseason practice and who knows maybe he has "It" when the lights come on.

There have been a lot of cases where walk ons have come out of nowhere to start. See Kerwin Bell.

I've mentioned that before as well.   He seemed the most athletic of the group in the spring and seems to have a very strong arm.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831

I still think White has all the physical tools to be really good for us, but for the life of me, I just can't figure out why he seems to have a hard time getting himself into the game mentally. 

You're a starting D1 college football QB, on scholarship at a large university.  I wish I had the natural talent he has, because when I played sports, I was one competitive SOB. 

Agree with TallyBull that if CWT is looking for a competitor, that speaks volumes as to the QB's mental makeup.  Is it even possible for him to acquire the mental toughness at this stage for him to be successful? 

Florida has the same problem with Driskell... a guy who broke Tebow's high school records... can't QB in college.

It's a mental thing for both of them.

Tebow had a better team and better coach. Not a valid comparison IMHO.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

So to fairly give them all a chance, just rotate all 4 between downs in the first half. The best performer gets to play the second half solo. Done.