• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF notes: Taggart will wait to name starting QB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  482
  • Days Won:  1

Oh geez... I just don't understand why we have such a hard time finding a QB. We are a d1 school in Tampa, FL. That alone should get us someone decent.

During the game last week they were showing highlights of the South Alabama game and their QB looks far better than any QB we have on roster. How is this possible??

And yes, I just referenced South Alabama...

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Changed it for you.

USF notes: Taggart will wait to name White starting QB

My thoughts too

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199

Changed it for you.USF notes: Taggart will wait to name White starting QB

My thoughts too

Agree also.

Maybe Houston will have a hard time making a defensive game plan...ha

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

If neither White or Bench have taken control of the position and once this team is eliminated from being bowl eligible, I'd like to see them go down the depth chart and give Evan Wilson a shot. He looked like the most natural QB in preseason practice and who knows maybe he has "It" when the lights come on.

There have been a lot of cases where walk ons have come out of nowhere to start. See Kerwin Bell.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Sure hope you aren't talking about Matt Floyd.

To me, this is just another reason why the offense that Taggart is trying to run may not be the best for the type of QB we are actually able to recruit.  

Guys like Tebow, Vince Young, Troy Smith, Tim Couch, Pat White...they all excelled in the type of system that was tailored for them.  As soon as they got into the NFL and they needed to get under center, make reads, drop back into more pocket passing situations they couldn't hack it.  I think we also saw the same thing with BJ Daniels.  His first year was arguably his best year here.  With Leavitt running the spread it allowed BJ to utilize all of his tools.  The next year Holtz started to put the clamps on BJ and he was not as effective.  The third year he tried to make BJ more of a pocket passer and he wasn't the same.  

On paper, what Taggart is trying to run sounds great, but the problem in practice is that you need to find ALL the right parts.  And that means having all the right parts every year for long term success.  

There are a lot of physically talented QBs out there.  The mental part is what sets them apart.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

And the "right parts" that we are missing are mainly in the o-line.

We don't have a running game because the holes aren't there - the yards Mack has made have mainly been on his own.

The passing game is poor because White is not composed under pressure, and he's always under pressure because the line's not protecting him.

Who's the O-line coach and why is he so bad?

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

O line coach is Paul Wulff who took over for Walt Wells. 

Not sure it's the coaches who are so bad.  The offense requires the linemen to  be able to pull and run for both running plays and screens. Requires some level of athleticism that the group as a whole does not have. Unfortunately, OL is also the place that takes the longest for young players to develop as they have to strengthen up and be physically ready.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

O line coach is Paul Wulff who took over for Walt Wells. 

Not sure it's the coaches who are so bad.  The offense requires the linemen to  be able to pull and run for both running plays and screens. Requires some level of athleticism that the group as a whole does not have. Unfortunately, OL is also the place that takes the longest for young players to develop as they have to strengthen up and be physically ready.

Hasn't exactly lit it up, either as  player or a coach. Never met the man, so I can't say if he's inspiring, but put me in Mckayla's camp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Wulff

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980

Simple CWT & Co. cannot evaluate QB's.

2 years now and he's still flopping around. I thought that was what last years tape and the spring practice was for, but even in the spring he couldn't name the starting QB until the week or so before the first game.  Watch ALL the QB's with an open mindset and play the best one.  To be real, you don't think we could watch say a few weeks of practice and see who clearly is the best QB....then play him and if it's obvious he doesn't translate practice into game time then move on.  This isn't a poker match.

Besides a handful of players (and maybe the coaches) we lack both physical and mental toughness.