• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF notes: Taggart will wait to name starting QB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

By Joey Johnston | Tribune Staff
Published: October 27, 2014

TAMPA — University of South Florida coach Willie Taggart said Monday he won’t immediately name a starting quarterback for Saturday afternoon’s home game against the Houston Cougars, choosing to let sophomore Mike White and junior Steven Bench compete throughout the week of practice before making his decision.

White, who has started each game this season, was 11 of 19 for 92 yards with two interceptions and two fumbles in Friday night’s 34-17 loss at Cincinnati. Taggart said he didn’t like White’s first-half demeanor and told the player at halftime he was contemplating a change. White promptly fumbled a snap on the second half’s opening possession. Taggart went to Bench, who provided a spark by going nine of 14 for 147 yards and two touchdowns.

“I’m not necessarily looking for a thrower or a runner,’’ Taggart said during the American Athletic Conference coaches teleconference. “I’m looking for a competitor who will do whatever it takes to help this football team win.’’

More:

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/usf-notes-taggart-will-wait-to-name-starting-qb-20141027/

Edited by dogma

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Good stuff

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

CWT's statements suggest he hasn't found the "competitor" he's looking for - an acknowledgment that Mike White may not be the guy after all. But Steven Bench may not be the guy either...

We're in bad shape at QB.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Turd or douche sandwich decision time? :ph34r: Does it being a Publix-brand sandwich make the lack of competitive QB make this decision less painful? :D

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I still think White has all the physical tools to be really good for us, but for the life of me, I just can't figure out why he seems to have a hard time getting himself into the game mentally. 

You're a starting D1 college football QB, on scholarship at a large university.  I wish I had the natural talent he has, because when I played sports, I was one competitive SOB. 

Agree with TallyBull that if CWT is looking for a competitor, that speaks volumes as to the QB's mental makeup.  Is it even possible for him to acquire the mental toughness at this stage for him to be successful? 

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,421
  • Days Won:  19

What would be the chance of Flowers grabbing the starting spot?

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

Changed it for you.

USF notes: Taggart will wait to name White starting QB
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

I still think White has all the physical tools to be really good for us, but for the life of me, I just can't figure out why he seems to have a hard time getting himself into the game mentally. 

You're a starting D1 college football QB, on scholarship at a large university.  I wish I had the natural talent he has, because when I played sports, I was one competitive SOB. 

Agree with TallyBull that if CWT is looking for a competitor, that speaks volumes as to the QB's mental makeup.  Is it even possible for him to acquire the mental toughness at this stage for him to be successful? 

Nope, you either have it or you don't. You don't just become competitive over night this late in the game. White doesn't have that aggressive competitive gene. He isn't the guy.

Florida has the same problem with Driskell... a guy who broke Tebow's high school records... can't QB in college.

It's a mental thing for both of them.

Nope, you either have it or you don't. You don't just become competitive over night this late in the game. White doesn't have that aggressive competitive gene. He isn't the guy.

I disagree here... it is possible to gain the mental toughness -- but it takes a supporting cast that White doesn't have, especially a running game that can help take some of the pressure off his shoulders.