• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The offense... again

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Unacceptable excuse. We are in the middle of Florida, finding a good QB should be a non-issue. 

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

I believe Taggart has the intelligence to know a good QB.  I'm sure he has "found" good QBs.  However, we cannot MAKE a good QB sign a LOI with us.  He has to want to do it on his own.  We still haven't gotten a good, heralded QB to roll the dice on us yet. 

It's not an excuse.  If it's as easy as you make it sound, just because we're in the middle of Florida, please get in touch with Taggart immediately so he can send you out to sign a top-rated QB with the full blessing and financial support of USF. 

Well...

We're obviously not paying our recruits properly.  Duh.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

I'd be happy this year with some consistency. At first the wr's were dropping too many balls, now its the qb's.The whole team needs to be wearing gloves.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

It's usually a bad idea to point to just one position on a train wreck of a team like this one and say, "if we only had a better QB." Shades of gray are uncomfortable sometimes, but the truth is that it's a combination of several factors: QB, OL, poor coaching, poor tackling on defense, occasional mental lapses on both sides of the ball, etc.

So, to sum up, what's wrong with the team? Except for maybe RB, the answer is "yes."

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,072
  • Days Won:  172

Looking back to the hiring process... I was a CWT advocate (obviously).

My thought process was simple... In the American... if we can recruit head and shoulders above other teams in our conference, we should be able to compete for conference titles. 

I think that I have come to the realization that the offense we are running requires an ELITE QB to be fully functional. I know this is not a revolutionary realization and many of you have been saying it for awhile. We have talent at RB, WR, OL, TE... but we are a terrible offense. 

QB recruiting got massively screwed up by Holtz but Taggart hasn't done much to fix it. We should be recruiting 2QBs a year until we find a gem. 

I'm afraid that unless we get MUCH better options at QB, or change our offensive philosophy, what you see is what we get. We are looking at at least 2016 season as we know next year's freshman QB will probably not be ready. Top JUCO or transfer is the only way I see it. 

every offense requires a good qb

white isnt good enough

i saw this from my jacuzzi in la

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

It's usually a bad idea to point to just one position on a train wreck of a team like this one and say, "if we only had a better QB." Shades of gray are uncomfortable sometimes, but the truth is that it's a combination of several factors: QB, OL, poor coaching, poor tackling on defense, occasional mental lapses on both sides of the ball, etc.

So, to sum up, what's wrong with the team? Except for maybe RB, the answer is "yes."

To sum it up;

a lack of discipline, desire, guts, and the will to win = 2014

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Looking back to the hiring process... I was a CWT advocate (obviously).

My thought process was simple... In the American... if we can recruit head and shoulders above other teams in our conference, we should be able to compete for conference titles. 

I think that I have come to the realization that the offense we are running requires an ELITE QB to be fully functional. I know this is not a revolutionary realization and many of you have been saying it for awhile. We have talent at RB, WR, OL, TE... but we are a terrible offense. 

QB recruiting got massively screwed up by Holtz but Taggart hasn't done much to fix it. We should be recruiting 2QBs a year until we find a gem. 

I'm afraid that unless we get MUCH better options at QB, or change our offensive philosophy, what you see is what we get. We are looking at at least 2016 season as we know next year's freshman QB will probably not be ready. Top JUCO or transfer is the only way I see it. 

every offense requires a good qb

white isnt good enough

i saw this from my jacuzzi in la

Classic.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

If we continue to run this offense, to be successful will require an above average QB and an above average,smart, big, strong, athletic OL (collectively as a unit).  Those are probably the two hardest positions (well, six positions if you throw in the OL individually).  

The reason a lot of teams go to the spread and read option is you can make it work with average lineman, decent backs/receivers and a superior athlete as a QB.  

Stanford has been running the same offense since about 1990.  They are already known as a place to go if you want to be part of an offense like that.  I think we can make the offense work here, but how long it will take to be consistent and a winning offense is the question.

The other problem is it is not the most exciting to watch.  Not the best offense to be running when you are trying to build a fan base.  Especially while you are losing.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

If we continue to run this offense, to be successful will require an above average QB and an above average,smart, big, strong, athletic OL (collectively as a unit).  Those are probably the two hardest positions (well, six positions if you throw in the OL individually).  

The reason a lot of teams go to the spread and read option is you can make it work with average lineman, decent backs/receivers and a superior athlete as a QB.  

Stanford has been running the same offense since about 1990.  They are already known as a place to go if you want to be part of an offense like that.  I think we can make the offense work here, but how long it will take to be consistent and a winning offense is the question.

The other problem is it is not the most exciting to watch.  Not the best offense to be running when you are trying to build a fan base.  Especially while you are losing.

Spot on!

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Unacceptable excuse. We are in the middle of Florida, finding a good QB should be a non-issue. 

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

I believe Taggart has the intelligence to know a good QB.  I'm sure he has "found" good QBs.  However, we cannot MAKE a good QB sign a LOI with us.  He has to want to do it on his own.  We still haven't gotten a good, heralded QB to roll the dice on us yet. 

It's not an excuse.  If it's as easy as you make it sound, just because we're in the middle of Florida, please get in touch with Taggart immediately so he can send you out to sign a top-rated QB with the full blessing and financial support of USF. 

I also believe Taggart has the intelligence to know when he sees a good QB and offer him a scholarship. However, other than maybe playing time, why in the hell would a good QB choose to come to USF now? If you're a 17/18 year old QB in high school right now, looking at USF's offensive scheme why would you go to USF?

You've got to learn (apparently) a ridiculously tough offense,  there's nothing flashy or exciting about the offense, in Taggart's perfect world (just assuming) you're handing the ball off to a guy like Marlon Mack 55-60% of the time, if you're an athlete and your legs are a major part of your game that's very very likely to be underutilized in our scheme, and at the same time you've got offers from Texas Tech, East Carolina, Boise State etc who can light up the scoreboard. Call me crazy, but if I'm a QB, the possibility of playing in a spread system seems a heck of a lot more fun from a playing football perspective than playing in Taggart's. 

Unfortunately, we're going to have to find someone like Blake Bortles that no one wanted who turns out to be awesome. Until then, ugh...

Edited by USFbulls24

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

+1