• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Holtz and Taggart

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,612
  • Days Won:  108

Holtz had 2 years of recruiting.  Even though he signed 3 classes he came in 2 or 3 weeks before signing day and signed Leavitt's guys the 1st year.  He was tasked with recruiting better academic students to improve the score the NCAA assigns which was bordering the point where scholarships (and tourney bans) would be lost.  He did what he was asked to do in that regard.  That guy on the Board of Trustees in essence fired Holtz.  Tags came in in Dec and had time to recruit some kids that were his.  But White and others were guys that the Holtz regime targeted.  Some stayed, some didn't and Tags brought in the rest.  The coaching changes, and the timing thereof, puts this assigning of blame of recruits in some nebulous argument. 

I'd like to see improvement on the field as opposed to "winning" the recruiting game.  There is some improvement this year but it is spotty.  Would like to see a consistent game from half to half with play at a decent level.  I'm OK losing to Houston if we keep it close, don't make bonehead plays and play with 100% effort every snap.  Would much prefer a win (no I'm not happy with losing) but would like to see tangible improvement.  You know, less than 500 yds given up on defense.  Little things like that.

Edited by CousinRicky

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Aside from maybe the quarterback position there is no doubt that Taggart has brought a lot more talent to the school than Skippy. Not that skip brought a quarterback, but Willie hasn't shown that he has either.

Clearly, the way he is racking up wins.

You really expect a bunch of 1st and 2nd year guys to rack up wins?

Why don't you watch the product on the field and I actually learn what football is. Anyone with two eyes can see that there's more talent surrounding the horrible quarterback position. If BJ Daniels was here we would probably be looking at only one or two losses this year. Only reason Skippy was able to even win 8 his last two years.

I expect the offense to rate higher than the 100s. That isn't too much to ask from a program trying to get into the P5, is it?

It appears the RB position has more depth. Outside of that, I'm not seeing anything. The only other quality player we have on offense is Andre Davis, thanks to Holtz. No, I'm not seeing all this "talent" you speak of.

And it is even funnier that you qualify "except for the QB position".

I'm sorry ma'am, except for the fact that your husband died, the operation was a success!

I'm not going to condemn a guy because he hasn't found a top QB in 1 (2?) recruiting classes. Especially since we haven't even seen Flowers yet.

The O Line is better too I see marked improvement there.

So I'm still sticking with my opinion that the rest of the team is more talented.

People don't realize that this is college and you have to recruit kids out of high school, Arizona drafter is in free agency. We're in a small crappy conference so it's not like we're getting the best of the best eiyher.

We have seen Flowers, he isn't a top QB yet and may never be.

You are saying "the rest of the team" is better, but O Line is the only position you say there is marked improvement.

Your assertion is falling apart.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Aside from maybe the quarterback position there is no doubt that Taggart has brought a lot more talent to the school than Skippy. Not that skip brought a quarterback, but Willie hasn't shown that he has either.

Why don't you watch the product on the field and I actually learn what football is. Anyone with two eyes can see that there's more talent surrounding the horrible quarterback position. If BJ Daniels was here we would probably be looking at only one or two losses this year. Only reason Skippy was able to even win 8 his last two years.

I expect the offense to rate higher than the 100s. That isn't too much to ask from a program trying to get into the P5, is it?

It appears the RB position has more depth. Outside of that, I'm not seeing anything. The only other quality player we have on offense is Andre Davis, thanks to Holtz. No, I'm not seeing all this "talent" you speak of.

I'm sorry ma'am, except for the fact that your husband died, the operation was a success!

I'm not going to condemn a guy because he hasn't found a top QB in 1 (2?) recruiting classes. Especially since we haven't even seen Flowers yet.

So I'm still sticking with my opinion that the rest of the team is more talented.

People don't realize that this is college and you have to recruit kids out of high school, Arizona drafter is in free agency. We're in a small crappy conference so it's not like we're getting the best of the best eiyher.

You are saying "the rest of the team" is better, but O Line is the only position you say there is marked improvement.

WTF?

You've seen him for 6 plays, 3 of which he was backed up to his own 10 yard line.

It may well be true, or it may not, but that's a ridiculous statement to make at this point

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

WTF?

You've seen him for 6 plays, 3 of which he was backed up to his own 10 yard line.

It may well be true, or it may not, but that's a ridiculous statement to make at this point

Methinks you forget the NC State game.  

It's ok, I accept your apology.

WTF?

Have I blanked out a whole series? I remember him appearing only twice, and both were three-and-outs.

So I go pull up his stats. http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=1425766

1 of 4 passing for 7 yards with 2 interceptions (hey, only ONE incompletion! :drummer:) and 7 rushes for net 36 yards

So that's 11 plays, plus however times he handed off. 2 series killed by interceptions, and i remember a punt, so three, maybe four, series he's been on the field.

Still not enough data to make any decisions since he hasn't had a real chance to see what he can do.

Put him in and leave him in, this season's over as far as winning is concerned

But Taggs won't - he's too proud and needs to be right, even if he's wrong.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

WTF?

Have I blanked out a whole series? I remember him appearing only twice, and both were three-and-outs.

So I go pull up his stats. http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=1425766

1 of 4 passing for 7 yards with 2 interceptions (hey, only ONE incompletion! :drummer:) and 7 rushes for net 36 yards

So that's 11 plays, plus however times he handed off. 2 series killed by interceptions, and i remember a punt, so three, maybe four, series he's been on the field.

Still not enough data to make any decisions since he hasn't had a real chance to see what he can do.

Flowers played in game 6, so that means no redshirt, correct?

Correct. Unless he gets "injured" and we get a medical redshirt waiver

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

WTF?

There's a certain percentage of plays you can't surpass (not sure the exact number), none of which can be in the second half of the season. So 1 play in game 10 and its burnt.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

WTF?

There's a certain percentage of plays you can't surpass (not sure the exact number), none of which can be in the second half of the season. So 1 play in game 10 and its burnt.

That's not true anymore.  One play, and you can't redshirt, no matter when in the season, unless there is an injury.  It's funny, we seem to have this same discussion every year.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

WTF?

That's not true anymore.  One play, and you can't redshirt, no matter when in the season, unless there is an injury.  It's funny, we seem to have this same discussion every year.

I was working on the assumption we'd create an injury, like we did for BJ.