• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why can't we get a decent Defensive Coordinator??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

The defense has had mostly good games this year.  They have certainly put our team in position to either win or have a chance.  

Tonight, they had a bad game.  Yeah, they forced some turnovers but the tackling was pretty terrible, and many times Cincy receivers were open with no one around for miles.  

I went out on a date with my wife tonight and watched the game when I got home.   While I was out I saw the score was 20-3 at the end of the first half.   I made it through the first quarter and stopped watching our defense because it just wasn't fun.  Picked it back up in the 2nd half and watched the rest of the game.  

Cincy has a good offense, yes.  We could have done much better on defense.  We just sit back way too much and let the play come to us.  By the time it gets to us, their ball carrier has too much momentum and we can't stop them in time.  We have to figure out some way of getting pressure on the QB in this 3-4 defense.  

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Usually in a 3-4 getting pressure is not an issue because you're bringing one or two of the linebackers every pass play. We don't very often and when we have we're not really getting to the QB. Part of that is the D Line has to occupy the OL so the LBs can make plays. Guys are not familiar with the scheme so they are playing slow and thinking a lot. Another part is they are trying to protect the secondary Everyone back there is in their first year or 2 of Division 1 football.

The bright side is that we've played 5 true freshmen on D, Josh Black at LB, Kendall Sawyer at CB, Deatrick Nichols at CB, Devon Abraham at S and tajee Fullwood at CB. Those guys have to get better the next year or two which should allow a more aggressive scheme.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

White had 5 fumbles and 2 interceptions!

Just think how bad he would have been if he wasn't NFL ready.

thats funny

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Usually in a 3-4 getting pressure is not an issue because you're bringing one or two of the linebackers every pass play. We don't very often and when we have we're not really getting to the QB. Part of that is the D Line has to occupy the OL so the LBs can make plays. Guys are not familiar with the scheme so they are playing slow and thinking a lot. Another part is they are trying to protect the secondary Everyone back there is in their first year or 2 of Division 1 football.

The bright side is that we've played 5 true freshmen on D, Josh Black at LB, Kendall Sawyer at CB, Deatrick Nichols at CB, Devon Abraham at S and tajee Fullwood at CB. Those guys have to get better the next year or two which should allow a more aggressive scheme.

Good points, and I agree they are playing slow.  I thought that quite a bit tonight watching them.  

The tackling though, that's something, imo, that needs to be addressed immediately, and can and should improve soon.  

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993

The tackling is a problem almost everywhere, even in the pros. In our case it's hard to get a form tackle when we're jogging and the guy with the ball is really running.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

@TBTimes_Bulls: Defense gave up 590 yards tonight, tying #USF record for most allowed in a game (Cincy, 2010)

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550

It's really hard to critique the Defense, when the Offense constantly drops the ball, literally and figuratively

They stay wayyy to long on the field with little rest in between. 

It's also mental. It's really hard to stay focused when you pretty much know the offense is going to fail you.  It zaps motivation, and energy.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Defense didn't lose the game. Offense did. Everyone knew Cincy would score on us, and that we had to outscore them. We didn't

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

I agree with your post but I think at this point I would rather see them be aggressive and screw up rather than playing a mile off the ball and tackling them 6+ yds down the field. This rush 3 and drop 8 is hard to watch now. I very much like playing the young guys though

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Defense didn't lose the game. Offense did. Everyone knew Cincy would score on us, and that we had to outscore them. We didn't