• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Texas could start paying athletes $10,000 per year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

The best idea I've heard is take away all rules on making money, donars can pay students whatever to lure them. And if you aren't in demand, you get what players have gotten all along. That lets the market decide which is fair.

markets decide? inherently unstable.

I agree with paying players; but I disagree with the booming athletic budgets (esp. coach's pay and athletic facilities) in an academic setting

This will show the larger divide between the core of the P5, and everyone else...

Uh, it comes out of booster money,what boosters want to pool. You don't get that money, oh well. It's just like coaching is right now. This everything even charade needs to end, it's not.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

If you can afford to pay the coaches multiple millions, the "student athlete" should be afforded some walking around money.

Agreed. For the hours these kids put into the program, 10 grand a year is nothing.

everyone agrees with you

thus the slippery slope begins

I predict that within ten years, certain athletes will be compensated more than ten times this piddly amount

compensation will destroy schools like usf. The market contraction will continue until about 20-40 schools run a semi-pro league

I sometimes wonder if the sport of football is not jumping the shark right now. With all the hs lawsuits and then collegiate contraction. It looks like a smaller pool of players and fans.

usf may be lucky to play in a rental stadium during this uncertain time

Being as they are "new" programs and don't have a large amount and history of donors, being the largest universities of the country are HUGE benefits for USF and UCF.They can really spread the costs around,which is further helped by the fact that they have some of the lowest tuition in the country

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,799
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.statisticbrain.com/ncaa-college-athletics-statistics/

Its seems we have around 300 student athletes on scholarship according to allowable scholarships per sport type less the sports we do not participate in.

30*10,0000= $3 million per year.   This is definitely doable for us. It could help us separate from the lower P5. This is the benefit of having a large university and spreading cost around 40,000 students via tuition increase or the dreaded activity fee. Comes out to $75 a student per year.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

Our AD has already committed to this.  Now we wait and see what happens.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Paying student athletes sounds dirty to me...

This cannot end well!  

If you can afford to pay the coaches multiple millions, the "student athlete" should be afforded some walking around money.

Agreed. For the hours these kids put into the program, 10 grand a year is nothing.

Not just the time but the potential permanent injury. College football players have more contact time in a year than NFL players, which has a players union that demands safety guidelines.

This cannot end well!

Educate yourself and you'll start to see its overdue.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11260822/college-football-paying-athletes

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

I will not contribute a dime to any college that pays it's athletes.

Didn't see that coming...

He's going to stop paying taxes.

Won't work .... they'll force him to pay at gunpoint.

See, you DO agree! :roflmao:

Just humoring the kook .... B)

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

This cannot end well!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11260822/college-football-paying-athletes

Call me old fashioned but you go to college to get an education. What message are you sending..Its more important to spend more time in the gym and less time on the books. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

This cannot end well!

Call me old fashioned but you go to college to get an education. What message are you sending..Its more important to spend more time in the gym and less time on the books. 

I see it as athletics is your part time job, school is your full time job. Most normal students in school get a part time job to make ends meet....D1 athletes should be compensated for the time they put into the program. Playing D1 sports gives them little to no time for a part time job. Athletic Scholarships don't fund full cost of attendance...just your classes. 

Mine didn't cover food, books, housing, etc. 10k a year is more than reasonable

Edited by Hem