• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why does our defense always give up the underneath pass?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

3 men on the line makes it difficult to get to the QB

If teams are dinking and dunking on us, we don't need 4 LBs in coverage, especially on 1st downs.  Send some in on a blitz here and there. 

Edited by GaUSFBull

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Because giving up a five yard pass is better than giving up an 80 yard pass.  

First thought that came to my mind as well

Right up until you give up 17 of them in one drive..... ;)

Even then.  The only downside, really, is possibly wearing out your defensive players.  But it is much better if the other team takes seven minutes to score rather than one minute.  Keeps the game closer, even if your offense is doing nothing.  The less drives the better.

The real answer is that the goal is start by not giving up the big play.  As your players gain experience and start to play "faster", they will start to cut down some of the short stuff also.  In the meantime, you give yourself a chance to win.  Give up a couple of bombs in the first quarter and the game can be over real quick.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

I hate this defense!!! I never like the 3-4 defense. If Chuck Bresnahan was any good, he would be in the NFL still. I'm not a fan. They play so soft because they're not attacking defense. (The bend, don't break scheme)

Edited by bulldozier1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

cuz we love that soft zone coverage. Hilarious seeing our guys play nearly 10 yards off, especially when they need like 6 or 7 yards for a first down.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Yeah, let's press and give up the 80 yard bomb quickly so our powerful offense can get on the field more quickly.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

I've said this before...

Knock their jock sideways and they won't be so brave standing there waiting for the ball.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah, let's press and give up the 80 yard bomb quickly so our powerful offense can get on the field more quickly.

Tulsa had 1 good WR. If you're that scared of the 80 yard bomb give him 10 yards of room but play up on the others. Mix it up. Should WRs on the other team never be challenged? Has a DB never gotten into a WR's head before by playing bump and run and pissing him off because he's getting jammed at the line and can't get into his route quickly? Has playing up on a receiver never messed with the rhythm between a QB and WR? Not sure if we have the DB who can do this consistently but I'm not sure because I don't think we've given it a shot.

Or should this not even be talked about since our D has been awesome doing things the way they have? 

WCU put up 31 points against us running this same crap, Tulsa put up 30, we won't even mention the NC State game. I know it doesn't happen often anymore, but when we play teams like WCU and Tulsa who have inferior talent we should play up on them and make things as difficult as possible rather than sitting back and letting them have short passes. To me, it can help a bad offense get comfortable and gain confidence. 

Ron Cooper is one of the best in the business though, so if he doesn't think they can do it (just assuming) then maybe they can't. I'd like to see us play up on some of these teams on our schedule coming up. (SMU, Houston, UCF).

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We should always be mixing coverage.  It is what good defenses do.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Because giving up a five yard pass is better than giving up an 80 yard pass.

First thought that came to my mind as well

Right up until you give up 17 of them in one drive..... ;)

Even then. The only downside, really, is possibly wearing out your defensive players. But it is much better if the other team takes seven minutes to score rather than one minute. Keeps the game closer, even if your offense is doing nothing. The less drives the better.

The real answer is that the goal is start by not giving up the big play. As your players gain experience and start to play "faster", they will start to cut down some of the short stuff also. In the meantime, you give yourself a chance to win. Give up a couple of bombs in the first quarter and the game can be over real quick.

You say POSSIBLY wearing out our defense? How can it not wear them out? And the our backups are....oh wait, they're all freshmen!

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

We should always be mixing coverage. It is what good defenses do.

Agree 100%