• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

flagged for trying to block a kick

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

What's the rule when a player's trying to block a kick?

I think three games ago(?), one of our guys got flagged for launching from the back of a teammate. Okay, fine.

But then there was another situation (same game or a more recent game) where our guy got flagged for jumping up on his own. The announcer said something about a player is not supposed to jump up. I thought he didn't know what he was talking about. Maybe they called the foul on the wrong player. Anyway...

This last game, we got a block. And our player jumped up to block it.

So what's the rule? Aren't players allowed to leave their feet to try to block a field goal attempt?

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

You can't use a teammate to launch up to block a kick.

McFarland jumped over the Tulsa player, so no penalty.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

not allowed to "leap" from beyond 1 yard from the line of scrimmage.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Not that complicated. Now take a look at what happened during the fsu ND game trying to distinguish what's a pick and what's a rub. That's interesting.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Restrictions for Blocking Kicks

The defensive team has some other restrictions when it tries to block a field goal in college football. Defenders cannot jump on a teammate or be boosted up by a teammate in order to be higher to block the field goal attempt. Doing so will be a penalty and if you block the kick or the offense misses the kick, they will get a 15-yard penalty and a re-kick opportunity.

In addition, players cannot hurdle or jump over the offensive line to block a kick. That infraction will be assessed a 15-yard penalty as well. In addition, a new rule was proposed in 2011 that would restrict the defense from performing a three on one triple-team against an offensive lineman during a field-goal attempt. According to the NCAA proposal, it would be illegal for defense to line up three players shoulder to shoulder and advance into an offensive player. This is meant to protect the lineman and would be a 5-yard penalty under the new rules proposal.

Source

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,733
  • Content Count:  37,566
  • Days Won:  29

I think it's silly. They say it's to help the players safety ... Yet, they don't flag an offensive player diving for a TD or 1st Down.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

McFarland has had two leaping penalties to go with his block...and the block was the same move he did when he committed those penalties. The difference was this time he managed to squeeze past the blockers and didn't touch anyone en route to the block. It's sort of his signature move.

Love it when it works, but if Tulsa ST hadn't blown that block he might have been flagged again and they get a 1st down. I don't know if the risk is worth the reward. I'd rather the coaches have him just jump up, not jump forward.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

McFarland has had two leaping penalties to go with his block...and the block was the same move he did when he committed those penalties. The difference was this time he managed to squeeze past the blockers and didn't touch anyone en route to the block. It's sort of his signature move.

Love it when it works, but if Tulsa ST hadn't blown that block he might have been flagged again and they get a 1st down. I don't know if the risk is worth the reward. I'd rather the coaches have him just jump up, not jump forward.

He also landed awkwardly, good thing he didn't hurt his knee. 

Correct!

In this case, the Long Snapper kept his head down and did not engage to block, if he had stood up, it would have been a penalty.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Anybody see troy Polomalu last night jumping the line on a goal-line play?

Is this a different situation, or just a difference in rules between NFL and NCAA?