• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Just saw Mike White was given game ball

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

good second half. the first few play calls were terrible. reminded me of Holtz. liked to call a 30 yard pass wide. at best it's a 2 yard gain. at worst a pick 6. high risk:low reward. White needs to learn to look off the receiver though.

Talk about a role reversal here.  White deserves some blame on that pick 6, not the play caller.  But White hit more open receivers in this game than I can remember any USF QB doing in many years - going back to Grothe and BJ.  He just laid the ball in there perfectly many times today.  He even hit a pass while rolling to his left.

Don't know what his issue is early in games, but it seems his first few passes are the ones that end up seriously short.  

But he should share the ball with Andre.  He was huge today. 

I agree he does deserve some blame. needs to look off the receiver but those calls are awful. why would you want your Qb to throw a 30 yard pass 2 yards in front of the line? It's dumb. they have no sense of risk vs reward. you risk a pick 6 every time they try that pass for what is likely to be a 2 yard gain.

White has proven to be an effective downfield thrower. our receivers should be able to get behind the defense. they had given up a lot of big time gainers on the year.

stretch the field vertically not horizontally.

He doesn't HAVE to throw it to him, does he?

I don't get what you mean?

No he should have looked off the receiver and later in the game he hit andre davis for that 80 yarder because he pumped faked the DB and he jumped the same rout but calling those plays are stupid.

they are high risk with very little reward. if you recall they called the same thing to the other side on the first play and it went for 3 yards. next pley they call it to the other side and it went for a long pick 6. stupid play call unless it's a pump and go. you are asking your QB to make a long throw for very little gain.

I believe the coaches are responsible for putting their players in a position to succeed. I don't believe plays like that accomplish it.

My point is was there only 1 receiver out? I agree it's a totally dumb play call and hopefully in the future, MW or whomever, recognizes it as that and checks down ...

I believe there was only 1 receiver on that side of the field. it's supposed to be a quick hit so I don't think there is really an option to check down. I think you just take the snap and throw it. it's dumb and yes he was partly to blame but to put a young QB in that position (honestly any QB) is stupid. they need to make a long throw for a 2 yard gain. maybe they were just setting up the corners for later in the game hoping they would jump the route

Quick hit would be okay but, haven't had a chance to watch game, I thought I heard he rolled to one side and then threw all the way back across the field ... 

not on the pick 6. it was supposed to be a quick hit about 2 yards off the line. he looked at davis the whole way and they had just run the same thing on the opposite side on the play before. he probably threw it one beat late. still a terrible call. I hate those plays where you make them throw it 30 yards to gain 2. to much risk to little reward.

Davis had a great game too. white threw some very pretty passes his way. both deserved it.

Okay ... Nvm ...we're talking about 2 different plays. I just remember the announcers talking about a complete throw all the way across the field that only netted 2 yards.

• Downvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

good second half. the first few play calls were terrible. reminded me of Holtz. liked to call a 30 yard pass wide. at best it's a 2 yard gain. at worst a pick 6. high risk:low reward. White needs to learn to look off the receiver though.

Talk about a role reversal here.  White deserves some blame on that pick 6, not the play caller.  But White hit more open receivers in this game than I can remember any USF QB doing in many years - going back to Grothe and BJ.  He just laid the ball in there perfectly many times today.  He even hit a pass while rolling to his left.

Don't know what his issue is early in games, but it seems his first few passes are the ones that end up seriously short.  

But he should share the ball with Andre.  He was huge today. 

I agree he does deserve some blame. needs to look off the receiver but those calls are awful. why would you want your Qb to throw a 30 yard pass 2 yards in front of the line? It's dumb. they have no sense of risk vs reward. you risk a pick 6 every time they try that pass for what is likely to be a 2 yard gain.

White has proven to be an effective downfield thrower. our receivers should be able to get behind the defense. they had given up a lot of big time gainers on the year.

stretch the field vertically not horizontally.

He doesn't HAVE to throw it to him, does he?

I don't get what you mean?

No he should have looked off the receiver and later in the game he hit andre davis for that 80 yarder because he pumped faked the DB and he jumped the same rout but calling those plays are stupid.

they are high risk with very little reward. if you recall they called the same thing to the other side on the first play and it went for 3 yards. next pley they call it to the other side and it went for a long pick 6. stupid play call unless it's a pump and go. you are asking your QB to make a long throw for very little gain.

I believe the coaches are responsible for putting their players in a position to succeed. I don't believe plays like that accomplish it.

My point is was there only 1 receiver out? I agree it's a totally dumb play call and hopefully in the future, MW or whomever, recognizes it as that and checks down ...

I believe there was only 1 receiver on that side of the field. it's supposed to be a quick hit so I don't think there is really an option to check down. I think you just take the snap and throw it. it's dumb and yes he was partly to blame but to put a young QB in that position (honestly any QB) is stupid. they need to make a long throw for a 2 yard gain. maybe they were just setting up the corners for later in the game hoping they would jump the route

Quick hit would be okay but, haven't had a chance to watch game, I thought I heard he rolled to one side and then threw all the way back across the field ... 

not on the pick 6. it was supposed to be a quick hit about 2 yards off the line. he looked at davis the whole way and they had just run the same thing on the opposite side on the play before. he probably threw it one beat late. still a terrible call. I hate those plays where you make them throw it 30 yards to gain 2. to much risk to little reward.

Davis had a great game too. white threw some very pretty passes his way. both deserved it.

Okay ... Nvm ...we're talking about 2 different plays. I just remember the announcers talking about a complete throw all the way across the field that only netted 2 yards.

that was probably the play before. it gained 3 and he threw it about 30 yards where a corner can easily jump the route and is gone.

that was probably the play before. it gained 3 and he threw it about 30 yards where a corner can easily jump the route and is gone.

Nah, it was definitely later on in the game just don't remember when .... Just hopefully, we don't see it again.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

Almost every team has that play in their book.  And some teams actually gain YAC.  We don't seem to do that often.  Believe the idea of running that, especially early, is to get the QB some early completions and get them into a rhythm and hope to break it.  That same play was the first play called in the Holtz era and it went for an 80 yard TD.  Probably the last time it worked for us.

Almost every team has that play in their book.  And some teams actually gain YAC.  We don't seem to do that often.  Believe the idea of running that, especially early, is to get the QB some early completions and get them into a rhythm and hope to break it.  That same play was the first play called in the Holtz era and it went for an 80 yard TD.  Probably the last time it worked for us.

You must be talking about the interception play which I haven't seen yet .... not the one I was talking about where the qb rolls all the way to one side and then throws the ball all the way back across the field for a minimal gain.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,973
  • Days Won:  469

White's first ever.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

One of my favorite plays by White today was the key 3rd down conversion when he started running the ball, acknowledged he probably would make the 1st down, but then threw the short pass to Davis to get convert. Davis ended up getting his 2nd TD catch

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030

When he has time he can throw a beautiful ball with some nice touch on it....needs more experience but when he connects he really connects on passes many college qbs cant make, touch is hard to teach and obviously MW needs to learn pocket presence and short passes and looking off receivers...that all comes with game experience

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

You must be talking about the interception play which I haven't seen yet .... not the one I was talking about where the qb rolls all the way to one side and then throws the ball all the way back across the field for a minimal gain.

Yes, the quick throw out to the right that was picked.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199

I saw White makes some of the best passes I have seen maybe ever at USF, he has some great touch at times.

If he can get a little more consistent next year and we make the O line even better and add some more solid receivers this team will be tough.