• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dismantling program

Guest PCBull14

i don't see it as a dumb option at all...really makes sense from a fiscal perspective.

Go fiscal your thoughts somewhere else. Posts like this really piss me off. I don't know you but their are people out there who actually go through great deals to support this program and the vision of it being a winner. Which in case you didn't know, has happened in our lifetimes. Hard times right now, but nothing even close to fiscally needing to shut down the program.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,095
  • Days Won:  1

The notion of shutting down the program is an ignorant one.  You shut down football, you lose a revenue stream and a large portion of the budget.

Funds can't be re-allocated to other sports (basketball, baseball, soccer) if the funds are non-existant.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

i don't see it as a dumb option at all...really makes sense from a fiscal perspective.

Go fiscal your thoughts somewhere else. Posts like this really piss me off. I don't know you but their are people out there who actually go through great deals to support this program and the vision of it being a winner. Which in case you didn't know, has happened in our lifetimes. Hard times right now, but nothing even close to fiscally needing to shut down the program.

Would USF be in a better position if those donations funded improved medical and engineering facilities? More academic scholarships to improve undergrad quality? Not saying it is our best option - but also not dumb. THe football program is an embarrassment to the university and given the number of fans willing to spend money to watch this product may well become a fiscal liability.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

At risk of being called stupid, I would say that if this were a private enterprise, you'd certainly be entertaining the thought - looking at real numbers.  But, unlike a real business, USF can keep jacking up involuntary student fees, and hopefully find more people to sell the program to.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,945
  • Days Won:  12

Long term, this program is a fantastic investment

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

lol

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Long term, this program is a fantastic investment

define long term... an interesting question on college atheltics in general is what is the actual return?

1) Sell enough tickets/merchandise/television fees to actually make a profit and return money to the institution? I think market performance of our peers would suggest that is incredibly unlikely

2) Increase student involvement and enjoyment thus encouraging more students to apply and improve academic quality?

3) Increase alumni involvement and thus hopefully in addition to supporting sports they are also likely to donate back to their college, mentor USF students, hire interns, etc?

I am not even certain we have defined the metrics by which we would measure the success of the program from University point of view.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Would USF be in a better position if those donations funded improved medical and engineering facilities? More academic scholarships to improve undergrad quality? Not saying it is our best option - but also not dumb. THe football program is an embarrassment to the university and given the number of fans willing to spend money to watch this product may well become a fiscal liability.

Ignorant view.

Funds are donated directly TO ATHLETICS FOR FOOTBALL by people who like/support the football program.

People donate for a specific cause, and those funds CANNOT be redirected.

Example... people who graduate from Engineering are more than likely to donate to an Engineering cause.  This can't be re-directed somewhere else.  And that individual is probably not going to donate to say.. the School of Dance.  (They probably don't care about Dance.)

Same aspect.. people want to donate to Football, and those funds CANNOT be re-directed elsewhere.  If there was no football program then there wouldn't be a donation in the first place.  If someone wanted to donate to the "Academic Side", then they would be doing/have done that anyways.

There are many people who donate to the Academic Side that don't care about the Athletics side. The converse is the same.  There are many supporters of USF football that aren't alumni and have no ties to USF, and probably wouldn't care about USF if it wasn't for football. (But because of it, they view it as their home team, and want to support it because of it)

Look at UMiami.  It's a private small university.  They get a lot of donations to their program by people who only care for their sports.  If it didn't exist, they wouldn't care about UM.  (See the 70/80's)

...And football is none of the main reasons that the university is now nationally recognized.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I understand you love the football team.  But football teams are incredibly expensive, and very few actually make money for their school.  Most are a money pit the same way a boat or a pool is.  Sure they are fun, but you do realize the university is here to educate students and not here for your entertainment, right?

(No, I am not advocating dismantling the football program.  Just trying once again to maintain some perspective on this board).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

What would we do with the new OCS?