• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Re-watching game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

It doesn't matter...until we become semi-relevant again, we will have to climb many obstacles to win a game like this.  It was the same scenario when CJL was trying to build this program.  Every top notched program we played, we had to play three times harder and want it three times more to pull a win. 

This is probably my least favorite thing about CFB.  There is definitely favoritism towards long-standing-successful programs.  It's good to be on the good end of the stick, but really tough to be on the other end.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

McEvoy jumped over a player and was hit when his foot landed in bounds, so it's not a late hit.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

Grabbing the shoulder pad and yanking a player down will generally get the foul called.  It's the act of yanking a player down that they are calling in an effort to protect against injury.  Exactly where he grabbed the shoulder pad isn't so much the concern.

Where he grabs is a concern, according to the rule ....

Horse Collar Tackle

ARTICLE 15. All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down. This does not apply to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is inside the tackle box (Rule 2-34). Note that the tackle box disintegrates when the ball leaves it.

http://www.dfoa.com/attachments/article/69/2013-14_Football_Rule_Book.pdf

If there's some stuff out there where it says they are expanding the interpretation of the rule, it would be interesting to see ...

No interpretation, it's called a Flag.

Like asking ten different Cop('pers) the law on something and you'll get 10 different interpretations even though they are reading the exact same law.  Some will enforce the law to a T and others...well, they will enforce it as they interpret it.

Some rules/laws are open to legitimate interpretation, some not. This one isn't. If the grabbing isn't of the INSIDE back or side of the collar, it's not a penalty under the horse collar rule ...

• Topic Count:  2,324
  • Content Count:  21,267
  • Days Won:  10

Refs make mistake, it happens and it is part of the game.  Sometimes the speed causes the issues.  Let it go, and one day we will get a break and the call will be our way.   Hint: Pay off the ref or get rid of the Ref john.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

OK  Since you guys re-watched it I have a question.......I want to say third qtr and it was a third down play by Wisc.  Their RB got the first down by a small margin and I think the announcers said he rolled over a player and didn't touch the ground but I know when I saw it I was sure he touched the ground and it was a bad spot.  Should have been fourth down....anyone else see that ?  May have been the beer :)

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Refs make mistake, it happens and it is part of the game.  Sometimes the speed causes the issues.  Let it go, and one day we will get a break and the call will be our way.   Hint: Pay off the ref or get rid of the Ref john.

Just Fing around here trying to get the Quote working....NM

Edited by dabull80

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

OK  Since you guys re-watched it I have a question.......I want to say third qtr and it was a third down play by Wisc.  Their RB got the first down by a small margin and I think the announcers said he rolled over a player and didn't touch the ground but I know when I saw it I was sure he touched the ground and it was a bad spot.  Should have been fourth down....anyone else see that ?  May have been the beer :)

I didn't rewatch, but if I remember correctly, the replay made it look like it didn't hit the ground.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,671
  • Days Won:  108

I didn't rewatch, but if I remember correctly, the replay made it look like it didn't hit the ground.

Looked like a good call to me.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,422
  • Days Won:  19

It doesn't really matter...

USF had many chances to make a difference; and they did not execute

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Grabbing the shoulder pad and yanking a player down will generally get the foul called.  It's the act of yanking a player down that they are calling in an effort to protect against injury.  Exactly where he grabbed the shoulder pad isn't so much the concern.

Where he grabs is a concern, according to the rule ....

Horse Collar Tackle

ARTICLE 15. All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down. This does not apply to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is inside the tackle box (Rule 2-34). Note that the tackle box disintegrates when the ball leaves it.

http://www.dfoa.com/attachments/article/69/2013-14_Football_Rule_Book.pdf

If there's some stuff out there where it says they are expanding the interpretation of the rule, it would be interesting to see ...

No interpretation, it's called a Flag.

Like asking ten different Cop('pers) the law on something and you'll get 10 different interpretations even though they are reading the exact same law.  Some will enforce the law to a T and others...well, they will enforce it as they interpret it.

Some rules/laws are open to legitimate interpretation, some not. This one isn't. If the grabbing isn't of the INSIDE back or side of the collar, it's not a penalty under the horse collar rule ...

I believe it is because one of the articles I read said that the main concern of the referees in this interpretation was whether the player was "yanked" down, as that is the head and neck injury concern.  I guess tearing up a knee is ok.  I'll have to see if I can dig up that particular article.