• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Re-watching game

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

Still looking for that horse collar.  Seemed to grab him by the shoulder pads.

In first quarter when we were down at the 10, the 3rd down play looked messed up. Two receivers seem to be blocking for a run and White had no one to throw to. 

Funny thing when the announcer said "First and 10 Wisconsin" the fans would then repeat it - not yelling it - more like making fun and emphasizing that area's pronunciation of the con in Wisconsin. Noticed it at the game and re-watching reminded me. 

That long pass to Adams in 2nd qtr. was PI - no question.

May be my imagination but when Wisc fumbled at the end of the half that freaking ref looked upset to have to signal 1st down for USF.'

Really nice drive by USF after falling behind 17 - 3.  Would love to see more of that.

And the fumble really did take the air out of the balloon.  Game over.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I'm pretty sure horse collar has been expanded to include the shoulder pads.  I expect we'll be using two hand touch in a few more years.

CWT states that there was "miscommunication" on that play.  It was supposed to be a pass but White thought it was a run.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,422
  • Days Won:  19

Don't watch the second half....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,944
  • Days Won:  12

I like the way we are RESPONDING. We used to get defeated right away after trailing. We now just keep playing football, and - dare I say - play a bit better when we're a little behind. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I just deleted this one.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

There was no horse collar and the late hit in the 4th quarter that offset their hold was a garbage call. McEvoy's foot was in bounds when he was hit

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Grabbing the shoulder pad and yanking a player down will generally get the foul called.  It's the act of yanking a player down that they are calling in an effort to protect against injury.  Exactly where he grabbed the shoulder pad isn't so much the concern.

Ditto the late hit.  If a player it clearly headed out of bounds they'll let you get away with a shove to ensure he stays OOB, but not a hit.   In both cases the players should know better, just like the jumping fouls. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Grabbing the shoulder pad and yanking a player down will generally get the foul called.  It's the act of yanking a player down that they are calling in an effort to protect against injury.  Exactly where he grabbed the shoulder pad isn't so much the concern.

Where he grabs is a concern, according to the rule ....

Horse Collar Tackle

ARTICLE 15. All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down. This does not apply to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is inside the tackle box (Rule 2-34). Note that the tackle box disintegrates when the ball leaves it.

http://www.dfoa.com/attachments/article/69/2013-14_Football_Rule_Book.pdf

If there's some stuff out there where it says they are expanding the interpretation of the rule, it would be interesting to see ...

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

Where he grabs is a concern, according to the rule ....

Horse Collar Tackle

ARTICLE 15. All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down. This does not apply to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is inside the tackle box (Rule 2-34). Note that the tackle box disintegrates when the ball leaves it.

http://www.dfoa.com/attachments/article/69/2013-14_Football_Rule_Book.pdf

If there's some stuff out there where it says they are expanding the interpretation of the rule, it would be interesting to see ...

No interpretation, it's called a Flag.

Like asking ten different Cop('pers) the law on something and you'll get 10 different interpretations even though they are reading the exact same law.  Some will enforce the law to a T and others...well, they will enforce it as they interpret it.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

I think I heard during the broadcast that that head ref did a BCS Championship game.  Really?