• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Voodoo Five column: "Dear USF Fans: It's Time To Give A **** And Show Up"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

I support USF FOOTBALL, simple as that!

I don't support a college football team IF ...

USF FOOTBALL means a lot to me. I don't support my child, wife, family, friends if ...

Look around the NCAA, lots of fans feel this way. We just don't have the fan base yet. Same base we had from 1996 - F'n sad!

It can't be stated any simpler than that. You're going to have the fair weather fans that pop in and out depending on how the team is doing but to build a sustaining "big time" program, you've got to have a sizeable fan base with that "I don't support a college football team IF" attitude. It would be great if this board was microcosm of our overall fanbase because even with all the ******** and moaning, the majority seem to still be supporting, meaning financially, the team. Bottom line being they care about USF football.... the ones who were there 4 or 5 years ago but not now, obviously don't. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

I think part of the problem with students is they are looking at USF as a transfer opportunity to FSU or UF and only care about those schools which I say why even go to USF if you only care about this schools. Go to HCC or a community college and use them and get the students in that truly care for USF.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Mostly preaching to choir here, not sure how the plea reaches those that need to hear it. If they aren't going to games it's likely they aren't reading VooDoo5 or other Bulls sites.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

at this point how can you blame the fans

the product has been bad and boring for many years

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Mostly preaching to choir here, not sure how the plea reaches those that need to hear it. If they aren't going to games it's likely they aren't reading VooDoo5 or other Bulls sites.

Eh, I saw quite  a few people posting this on facebook. So the word is getting around.

The problem is, no one "gives a ****". USF students don't want to drive 20 minutes, sit in the heat, and watch an ok team with a terrible offense play football. 

I think part of the problem with students is they are looking at USF as a transfer opportunity to FSU or UF and only care about those schools which I say why even go to USF if you only care about this schools. Go to HCC or a community college and use them and get the students in that truly care for USF.

This is not true at all. I do not have one friend on campus that is at USF as a chance to transfer to other schools. Most students love the school, like the area, but just don't see a reason to go watch a BORING game. I've been a fan for a while, so I'm out of the ordinary and I'll go no matter what. But for people that weren't fans before, they just don't care about the sports teams unless they're fun to watch.

Exactly ... the plea was probably pretty much a waste of time but I'm sure it made him feel better. It's really not a matter of getting people to a game, although I guess that would be a start, it's getting them to care enough to remove the IF. I don't think Harlan had any idea what he was getting himself into when he took the job.

BxGoWa_IIAIA4nL.jpg

Is there a point there?

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

BxGoWa_IIAIA4nL.jpg

Is there a point there?

Ray Jay looks the same as that every Saturday.  Oh wait, I thought those were empty read seats...they're people.  Never mind.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  432
  • Days Won:  0

Me and my wife have been at every game for several years now and we've sat there and cheered our Green and Gold hearts out even during these last few losing seasons. We've watched the attendance dwindle and dwindle and it's been upsetting but we can see and feel that things are changing. I've had friends in the past who would come to games with me when we were winning and they don't seem to have much interest now as hard as I try at times.

But for as small as the crowd was last Saturday the feeling in the stands was different than it has been at some of the games of the past few years, even when slightly more people were still showing up. You could feel that the fans that were there were really starting to believe in our football team again and that will be contagious. It won't happen overnight, but as the wins get more frequent that belief in the team will grow, and then it will spread. First it will be a few extra fans here and there, and then they will start believing again and they will spread that to a few more fans, then a few more. Things are starting to change and if you were at that last game you would know what I'm talking about.

We got extra tickets to the season opener and brought some extra family and friends. I just bought extra tickets for the UConn game for some family coming into town. My sister, who graduated from Florida Southern, she said after going to the season opener it made her wish she had gone to USF instead. People are starting to take notice, and they will come. 

Harlan has the right idea with putting a lot of focus on the students. They will be alumni at some point. It's not just about getting back the bandwagon crowd we lost when the team starting losing, it's also about inspiring new fans to get excited for us to start winning again. We have to win back the old fans, but we have to focus on creating the new fans too. Who knows, the new fans might be more likely to stick with us. 

• Upvote 1