• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Students Perspective on the Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

Its prbly a restiction on organized greek representation(?), but I dont remember that Greek rule when I was at USF

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I'm skeptical at best that the university is disallowing the Greek community from attending the game.

fishy at best, but I'm interested to read the details

I'm with you. I'd love to hear the details on banning Greeks from the game.

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,497
  • Days Won:  10

Even IF there is a rule about Greek representation at a game, there should be no restriction of them attending AS A STUDENT.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Really proud of our students.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  43
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry I was at dinner but Greeks are currently in recruitment meaning that we are recruiting the freshmen to join each of our organizations. First off let me say that since the hazing scandals that plagued the news a few years ago USF's greek has become one of the strictest I have ever heard of. (That is based on me having conversations with greeks from other universities and living through it myself and having to deal with some of the ridiculous rules we have)

Recruitment is set up different by the genders so I will explain

For the women:

Last night was at the discretion of each organizations president whether they would allow their chapter to attend the game as they had recruitment at about 7:30 this morning. Some organizations presidents allowed them to attend some didnt. I would say about 50% of the chapters were allowed to go. But this saturday the ladies actually have their second to last day of recruitment on saturday. (The second to last day arguably being the most important day in their recruitment as that is when you decided which you will be joining.) The girls will start about 8am saturday and wont be done until wayyyyyy after the game finishes. So all of the ladies who are in organizations already and all of the 600 freshman girls who are going through recruitment will not be allowed to attend the game.

For the men:

This is another recruitment conflict and has to do with USFs harsh greek rules. We will be in recruitment by next saturday and at that point we will not be able to talk to any perspective young men looking to join a fraternity especially cant have the danger of them attending a tailgate  . Therefore most of the fraternity presidents are going to bar their chapter from attending the game and tailgating in order to protect the organization from getting suspended. (I know how insane that sounds but fraternities have been suspended lately for much less). I know of a few organizations that are going to watch the games together at their respective houses instead of risking going to the game.  Its just not worth going to the game and being found to violate one of the rules and make the whole organizations suffer.

I can clarify if something doesnt make sense thats a really condensed version. I would love to talk to someone about the greek community partnering with athletics. Mr. Harlan has done an AMAZING job getting with student government but I feel as if he is yet to tap into the greek community as a resource. 

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  386

Why would someone want to join a fraternity? I don't understand the appeal.

• Upvote 1

Why would someone want to join a fraternity? I don't understand the appeal.

I personally think it was the best decision I have ever made but I also understand how some people cant see the appeal.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

Thanks USFbull2012. My feeling is that this needs to be looked at from a different angle. Being a USF student and supporting your school's football team should trump any Greek rules. No disrespect to the Greek community, but football is by far the biggest part of the college experience. I would be extremely surprised if the AD knew about this and didnt do anything to try and change it. He has been doing great with student relations, and y'all had a great showing last night-- I know Greeks make up a big part of that turn out. We need to keep it going. God knows this team needs the 12th man.

Not a single one of us is happy about missing the game. We all b***h to each other about it. All of us guys and girls want to be there and I don't want it to seem as though we are making a conscientious decision not to go. Its more of its almost impossible to go and not break the rules. So its basically discouraging us from going. If that makes sense. (Thats from the guy perspective)

From the girl perspective their recruitment is set up where they physically HAVE to be somewhere else other than the game which is ridiculous in a completely different way.