• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defensive Adjustments

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

The D looked gassed at the end of the game. Some of the D's fault can be tied to the poor offensive performance early as the three and outs did not give them sufficient rest. Coupled with poor tackling and lack of game knowledge for some, this was a bad performance.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Does Coach B even know how to call a 3-4 defense? Does he have that experience?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

You people are ridiculous. We had a top 25 Defense last year, Coach B is good at what he does and the D will improve. Our D was the ONLY thing good last year. We have 1 game where we played a zone and WON and you people come with pitchforks for the coach. Get outta here.

I said it in another thread but we had 9 players last night on the field playing their first game as USF Bulls, NINE! It will take time to get everyone gelled.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

You people are ridiculous. We had a top 25 Defense last year, Coach B is good at what he does and the D will improve. Our D was the ONLY thing good last year. We have 1 game where we played a zone and WON and you people come with pitchforks for the coach. Get outta here.

I said it in another thread but we had 9 players last night on the field playing their first game as USF Bulls, NINE! It will take time to get everyone gelled.

Hem, I'm with you man, and I didn't start this thread to call for Bres's head. He's a solid coach and the D will be fine overall. But I am honestly puzzled by the lack of adjustments to the exact same screen pass over and over...it was killing us yet very few changes occurred to counter it. Do you agree, and if so what is your explanation there? I want to believe Bres had a plan or strategy of some kind...

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Hem, I'm with you man, and I didn't start this thread to call for Bres's head. He's a solid coach and the D will be fine overall. But I am honestly puzzled by the lack of adjustments to the exact same screen pass over and over...it was killing us yet very few changes occurred to counter it. Do you agree, and if so what is your explanation there? I want to believe Bres had a plan or strategy of some kind...

keep the play in front of the corners. didn't want to give up anything over the top. that's why you play off the ball.

not a strategy I favor. I'd rather a defense play more aggressive, not back on their heels but many times when you play a team you're supposed to beat you play to not give up the big play.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  137
  • Days Won:  0

Did Robbins play last night?  My buddy and I were pretty sure we saw him in on two plays and that was it.  Not sure how a guy like Nichols who looked lost (as did Dunkly half the time) were getting time in front of him unless he got injured?

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

LB's mostly stayed at home to keep the QB contained. We had them covered down field most of the time so he was forced to check down to the screen. Our defense did what they were supposed to do. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

keep the play in front of the corners. didn't want to give up anything over the top. that's why you play off the ball.

not a strategy I favor. I'd rather a defense play more aggressive, not back on their heels but many times when you play a team you're supposed to beat you play to not give up the big play.

This.

I'm anxious to see what Breezy will say during this weeks interviews. They came out in the 3rd quarter with adjustments that worked, but went back to prevent when we cushioned the lead. Bubble screens all day from WCU, you'd think after the 6th screen...you'd make an immediate adjustment.

Jamie Byrd got interviewed after the game and said the D was still coming together as a unit. Lots of new faces out there. Could be the reason for conservative play.

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

This.

I'm anxious to see what Breezy will say during this weeks interviews. They came out in the 3rd quarter with adjustments that worked, but went back to prevent when we cushioned the lead. Bubble screens all day from WCU, you'd think after the 6th screen...you'd make an immediate adjustment.

I understand how the defensive scheme works...still not sure why we didn't make adjustments sooner. Maybe we don't have a man scheme we can use reliably? Surely we have to be able to move away from the prevent in order to be successful...

Also, why that scheme for WCU? We were that worried about long bombs?....?

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

I agree with most of the thinking here.  It seems simple... 3 WRs  covered by 2 DBs all night DOES NOT WORK, especially when the bubble screen is called.  I am happy that WCU did not stick with the bubble screens as much as they could have.

Edited by T-Man