• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

I have never run for 275 yards in a row.  That's pretty good. 

Mack is fast.  And faster than Andre Hall.  Andre could hit the holes but couldn't take it to the house.  He'd get caught.  Not good enough breakaway speed.

If I am CWT I a game planning for better blocking to get Mack in to open space.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

I'm just saying that what Mack did was against a cupcake but the records for USF include these type games, over the life of the program. And it being their first college game, a true freshman just makes it more remarkable. The ESPN End Zone highlights for the day were all P5 and included plays against cupcakes. It included, for example, a run against South Dakota St by a Missouri RB.

point noted.

just not psyched about the game. at all.

although there is improvement. last year we lose this game.

i like Mack. he's from down this way. Booker product. the south Bay area-- Bradenton, Sarasota, Palmetto-- has plenty of talent.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I know it's only one game, but I don't see any reason why he can't run for 2500 yards this year.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I know it's only one game, but I don't see any reason why he can't run for 2500 yards this year.

I know, right? He just has to do what he did last night in 9 of 11 remaining games.

• Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

if he continues to fumble usf will lose

when he gets stopped and usf doesn't have a passing attack usf will lose

that said solid first game for mr mack  and he shows a lot of potential

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I'm just saying that what Mack did was against a cupcake but the records for USF include these type games, over the life of the program. And it being their first college game, a true freshman just makes it more remarkable. The ESPN End Zone highlights for the day were all P5 and included plays against cupcakes. It included, for example, a run against South Dakota St by a Missouri RB.

I see your point but I doubt if other div 1a teams had done it before against these guys. It is still quiet an accomplishment from any perspective.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Below is a synopsis of what I've seen in Marlon Mack that made me excited. I thought he showed all of the same last night. It was against WCU...I get that...but he looked good from start to finish. The best RB I have seen take carries for the bulls since Mike Ford, and we know that Ford was a tragic dummy while this kid seems to have his head screwed on straight.

Not sure I'd count on any receivers to make an immediate impact, for a number of reasons. As many have already stated, Tyre McCants sticks out like a sore thumb. I suppose if any young guy at that position stands a chance it would be him. But I don't think any young guy will really make an impact there.

The RB position is one that stands out as a place where a young kid could make an impression, like Darius Tice did a year ago becoming the second-leading rusher on the team. He was the young guy at that position a year ago I thought could make an early impact because he had the vision to be a safe runner, picking and choosing his holes wisely and not letting the play call down. He wasn't the most physically impressive guy, didn't have the sexy power or tantalyzing tackle-break ability that many were looking for with other guys...but I knew from a coaching standpoint his vision in the backfield would make the coaches feel safe giving him the ball.

There's no Marcus Shaw to dominate the position this year and as I stated before, Tice is not exactly a physically dynamic player. He's a trustworthy player but not necessarily a physically compelling one. So this position is a lot more open than a year ago.

And the guy I like to rise to the top among the young runners is Marlon Mack. With all due respect to De'Ernest Johnson, I thought Marlon Mack's tape stood out more. Mack has the vision that stood out to me with Darius Tice, but he's also got physically dynamic abilities. Some of the things that Mack sees from the backfield are very impressive as he recognizes threats quickly and even sees threats at the second level. He's able to use his speed, agility and size to capitalize on his vision.

Austin Reiter echoed the point after last night:

“He has great vision as a back,†senior center Austin Reiter said. “He really makes our job a lot easier because when there are creases and whatnot his vision really gets him on the right track. As you can see, he broke a couple free tonight.â€

Vision for a tailback recruit is probably the thing that people forget to really take a close look at when we're all looking at these new kids coming in and predicting which ones make an impact and which do not. The coaches will feel more comfortable with a player that has the vision to see things before he's even got the ball in his hands, as he'll keep himself out of trouble and protect the integrity of the play call. So the vision gets the guy his opportunities with the coaches, and it allows his physical abilities to shine. I thought Tice had the vision, though not necessarily the physical abilities. Mack's tape blew me away because he clearly had both.

Edited by ckparrothead

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Guys, I don't care who he's playing against, tying a record of 275 yards rushing in his first game, and tying the record of 4 TDs is amazing.

Yes, tougher foes will make it tough sledding, but here's what he has, regardless:  his lateral cuts, stop/starts and burst from start to full speed is the best I've EVER seen at USF.  Yes, it was WCU, but those skills can't be denied.

My only knocks on Mack:

Ball security.  Lost a fumble, and fumbled out of of bounds on one play.

Letting up running on 2 of the long TDs.  A faster team will catch, strip & recover if he lets up.  I think Taggart spoke to him about it, but he really needs to work on this.

Still, he brought a ton of energy & spark to a team desperately in need. He won't have this success against other foes, but hopefully White & Co (or Bench) will improve, so we don't need to rely on RB.  Smazza was right...other teams will stuff the box until we prove we have other plays that work.

• Upvote 1