• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

USF getting the students invested in football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

@TomZeboldUSF: .@USFAthletics has fun stuff planned for @USFFootball season -- New Student Initiatives Set for Football Season http://t.co/XReS5NxqWe

TAMPA, AUG. 20, 2014 – USF Athletics will reach out to its most vocal fan base during the 2014 football season with several new USF student initiatives aimed at increasing students’ connection and involvement with the Bulls football program.

Two new traditions will be introduced in 2014 and the Bulls and second-year head coach Willie Taggart will be out in force to assist USF students moving onto campus this week.

“This is what we need to do to get the student body to be more invested in our student-athletes. As soon as I got into office I was focused on making sure that my administration was going to be close with (USF Director of Athletics) Mark Harlan’s administration and rebuild the athletic-student government relationship,†USF student body president Jean Cocco said. “I’m excited for it. The pep rally is going to be a 20-minute hoorah to get people excited and it’s going to be great. It’s a way to connect the student body to the student athletes.â€

USF Athletics and USF Student Government have teamed up to create the new Bulls tradition of The Huddle during the University’s Week of Welcome. USF students will have the opportunity to join Taggart and the entire football team in a huddle at the Frank Morsani Football Complex on Saturday, Aug. 23 starting at 5 p.m. Taggart invites students to become part of the Bulls team and join in getting fired up for the season. Taggart will give a preseason pep talk as students join shoulder to shoulder with the players.

“It’s their football team,†Taggart said. “We’ll get them around here and around our guys and let them know we’re on a team together. We’re going to turn this program around together and it’s going to give them something to be proud of as well as knowing that they’ve been a part of this whole transition.â€

Following the pep talk, students will have the opportunity to mingle with the players and coaches and enjoy a tailgate party including Green and Gold giveaways before walking through the gates at Corbett Stadium to watch the USF men’s soccer team take on the University of Tampa in the Rowdies Cup at 7:30 p.m.

USF Football will keep the excitement going throughout the season with the new weekly tradition of Marshall Mayhem, a Friday afternoon pep rally at the Marshall Student Center prior to every home game. Marshall Mayhem will include the entire Bulls football team, cheerleaders, Sun Dolls, band and Rocky The Bull starting at noon in the concourse between the Marshall Center and the USF bookstore. The first pep rally is set to take place Friday, Aug. 29 before the Bulls kickoff the season vs. Western Carolina on Saturday, Aug. 30 at Raymond James Stadium. View the Bulls’ entire season schedule HERE.

“It’s giving our students something fun and another way to get involved,†Taggart said. “We want them to come support us and we need to get out around them and get them fired up, so they can come in and help us win some ballgames at Ray Jay and make that stadium loud and crazy.â€

Prior to Saturday’s Huddle with a large contingent of USF’s No. 1 fans, Director of Athletics Mark Harlan and the football team will also be giving students a big hand during Bull Haul on Thursday, Aug. 21. Players and coaches will gather to assist residents and families move into various halls around campus from 10:30 a.m. to noon. Members of the USF offense will be at the Andros Area Mu Hall (Lot 16), while the defense will be using its muscle to move belongings into the Andros Area Zeta Hall (Lot 13). Learn more about Bull Haul HERE.

The first installment of the USF Football Show will also be broadcast live from the Beef O’Brady’s in the Marshall Student Center on Thursday, Aug. 28 from 7-8 p.m. Hosts Jim Louk and Mark Robinson will be joined by Taggart and selected Bulls players for the one-hour radio broadcast that can be heard live on 98.7 The Fan. The remaining 12 installments of the USF Football Show will be broadcast from Bay Area Beef O’Brady’s on a rotating basis throughout the season. Visit GoUSFBulls.com for weekly locations.

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Sounds great, you have to start somewhere. There are just so many uninterested USF students on campus, it's crazy really. Winning is the main thing that will make them come back. But, if this gets a couple of thousand new students involved, then it's a win.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

They need to get people like me invested too. Live not too far away and may have some money to give eventually. Give me a product that compels me to drive from Orlando every now and then.

Having a young kid hasn't helped but I can see it as something fun to do eventually. Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Like the huddle idea a lot. When the team is good again and they have a big game the Friday before the game you could make it a tradition for rivalry games or ranked games etc. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Good move, get the students invested.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

Until we get the stadium on campus we need to make the transition of getting the kids from campus to ray jay both fun and easy. I think attention needs to be paid to making the shuttling to the tailgating and back as seamless and fluid as possible. Free parking for students would also go a huge way. 

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

You think with the amount of students we have and alumni we would have a big fan base especially if we start winning. There have been so many people to come through USF b/w undergrad and graduate students. It definitely needs to improve. I hope this helps

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,404
  • Days Won:  13

They should get student input and bus in students from satellite campuses if they don't already.,we got bused to basketball games from Sarasota.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

Until we get the stadium on campus we need to make the transition of getting the kids from campus to ray jay both fun and easy. I think attention needs to be paid to making the shuttling to the tailgating and back as seamless and fluid as possible. Free parking for students would also go a huge way. 

I think the huddle is a great great idea.  I'm also all for a free USF run shuttle for the students but watching everyone buy beer after beer (I'm in line with them)  I think they can afford to at least pay a little for parking like everyone else or better yet just discount the parking for students by 50%.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  1

Gawd....that scared me for a second. I thought he was talking about my second wife!