• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

100% Improvement over LY

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

I'm just being honest about the bowl situation.  I remember when we played NIU in some Canadian Bowl and when we played Memphis in the St. Pete bowl, I didn't even both watching.  Those games got me less pumped up then most of the entire schedule those years.  The only thing I like about reaching a bowl like those is that it gives the team an extra 2 - 4 weeks of practice time and an extra game of experience, which in theory is something they could build on. 

And yes I am beyond pumped for football this year.  I have focused most of my attention so far on my Jets (who I have a feeling are going to be way better then expected.) and a little bit on the Bucs (who will be better, but not quite ready to win alot yet.), but I am ready for college football camp to start, no doubt.   The coverage, or lack-there-of of this football team right now though is pretty disheartening.  I seem to remember 98.7 The Fan being created with the idea that it would be the USF station, and the only USF news or talk we ever get on there is when Taggart comes on, and they ask him the same generic questions every time.

My favorite thing in the last few weeks though is when Booger and Ryan did a confidence factor from 1 being the worst to 10 being the best of the coaches in the state of Florida, and Ryan gave Taggart a three and Muschamp a seven, with his reasoning being that Taggart lost to a D-2 team so he has no faith in him..  Apparently Georgia Southern though is now an SEC power so losing to them, late in the season is no big deal.  He also said he doesn't think Taggart has been recruiting Florida enough.   I usually like Ryan but he has no clue when it comes to USF at all.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

98.7 is trash. The Commish is the only good part about that station.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705

It's been said before and it still rings true. I will add that Pants is pretty good as well. 

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

4 wins seems about right. I am going to need to see significant improvement from the QB position and not just assume its going to happen. Remember this was a historically bad offense last year (that failed to score a touchdown in half of its games) and it took CWT and team 3+ months to figure out how to not have a pre-snap penalty. I am not convinced that this group given an entire offseason is going to make a quantum leap.

6+ wins means a significant improvement from the offense and there are two things that make me skeptical of that kind of turn around:

• Unless we are counting on incoming freshman to contribute (fool's gold) then we are basically looking to similar talent on offense from a year ago
  • Based on the offense's ability to grasp some basic fundamentals (false start, delay of game penalties) last year and CWT's ability to close those gaps in season, I am not sure that we can expect significant improvement just because he had an entire offseason

Last year was rock bottom for the program and CWT has his work cut out for him to turn this around.

Completely agree. Everyone knows how bad the team was last year, and it wasn't just one thing holding us back from being a decent team. The ENTIRE team was bad. The team had holes all over the field from personnel to coaching issues to you name it.

I think 4 wins (+/- 1) is where we end up at and wouldn't be shocked with a 3 or 5 win season. I would be very surprised with a 6 win season and a bowl game. Even with significant improvement in strength/size and a better understanding of the "power run" offense doesn't = results. We still don't know what we have at QB and some people on here are looking at the schedule saying oh we will beat this team/that team etc. We aren't the only team going to get better from last season. Those teams are going to improve. It's college football and anything can happen, but I can't see this being a 1 year turn around for Taggart. Realistically I think 4 wins this season, one more really good recruiting class and with the weak conference we play in we should be competing for the conference championship the year after. 

Until then just gonna have to enjoy the ride and continue to watch the young talent Taggart has brought in develop/improve.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

This

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Holtz left this program a mess so yes a 4 win season would be a big turnaround..6 wins would mean we are ahead of schedule and team really bought into Cwt.

Big concern also is amount of players lost on defense but I feel good about the tallent we have.

Holtz left this program a mess so yes a 4 win season would be a big turnaround..6 wins would mean we are ahead of schedule and team really bought into Cwt.

Big concern also is amount of players lost on defense but I feel good about the tallent we have.

Would agree if we were in the old BE or other major conference but our opponents are just not that great. It is not that I expect USF to be amazing and be back to a top  team this year. It is just I think the other teams are not that good either and we can get a win over 1 lower FCS school and get a chunk of our conference as wins. 6 wins with our schedule is not insurmountable.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199

Would agree if we were in the old BE or other major conference but our opponents are just not that great. It is not that I expect USF to be amazing and be back to a top team this year. It is just I think the other teams are not that good either and we can get a win over 1 lower FCS school and get a chunk of our conference as wins. 6 wins with our schedule is not insurmountable.

True the conference is far from super power...a few good top teams alot of avg teams and a few crappy ones.

6 wins is possible I just gotta see a much better offense what we had last year was terrible.

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030

I say 7-5.....traditionally the teams that do well in college football are the ones with senior laden offensive lines, we have one of the more experienced in the american....too many other weak spots though

Would agree if we were in the old BE or other major conference but our opponents are just not that great. It is not that I expect USF to be amazing and be back to a top team this year. It is just I think the other teams are not that good either and we can get a win over 1 lower FCS school and get a chunk of our conference as wins. 6 wins with our schedule is not insurmountable.

True the conference is far from super power...a few good top teams alot of avg teams and a few crappy ones.

6 wins is possible I just gotta see a much better offense what we had last year was terrible.

Did you go to the spring game? I know it is not a real game, but the offense was much smoother. I expect it to only get better.