• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

10 Essential Bulls: Andre Hall

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

10 Essential Bulls: Andre Hall

SRLUFVCMXSUOVXW.20140710172149.jpg

As we look forward to the 2014 USF Football season, we’ll spend part of the summer looking back with the Voice of the Bulls Jim Louk. Louk has compiled his list of the 10 most influential Bulls in program history. As the radio voice for Bulls football since its inception in 1997, Louk has personally witnessed every game in the program's history and worked closely with coaches and players. Yet, his list may not line up perfectly with yours. Discussion and debate is welcome. Join the discussion by sending your list or feedback to @USFJimLouk and use the hashtag #USF10. 

We’ll list these 10 players in no particular order in the coming weeks leading up to 2014 USF training camp. Selected players may or may not have huge statistics or have been a part of the big plays we all remember.  But, because of their talent, their effort or even their timing, they influenced the USF program greatly during our first 17 years of football.

First installment: Hugh Smith

Second Installment: Chad Barnhardt

Third Installment: Bill Gramatica

Fourth Installment: Matt Grothe

Fifth Installment: Jason Pierre-Paul

By JIM LOUK

Voice of the Bulls

TAMPA, JULY 23, 2014 - In terms of carries and workload, there have been very few dominant running backs in USF Football history.  In the late 90’s, Dyral McMillan was the lead back for a few games, and Darrell Scott had a brief time in 2011, but more often than not  the running back position has been by committee.  Starting from the inaugural game, when Rafael Williams, Jermaine Clemons and Derrick Rackard shared carries, the philosophy has been to use multiple backs.

The most notable exception, of course, is Andre Hall.

Hall is another Bull who makes this list despite a relatively short time on the USF roster.  A junior college transfer and Dixie Hollins High graduate, Hall used his 23 USF games to set virtually every rushing record in program history.  During his time, there was no question who the running back was; Hall carried the ball 480 times in two seasons, an average of nearly 21 times per game.

Hall brought explosiveness to the USF backfield, but his main talent may have been his elusiveness.  Like many players on this list, every time he touched the ball you knew something special could happen.

There have only been three 1,000-yard rushing seasons in USF history, and Hall owns two of them.  His consistency was remarkable; he had 1,357 yards in 2004, 1,374 in 2005.  He had 11 rushing touchdowns in 2004, 13 in 2005.  He had six 100 yard rushing games in each season.

Hall averaged an incredible 118.7 yards rushing per game in his career.  As a result, despite playing just those 23 games, he holds both the all-time and single season rushing mark for the Bulls.  He also has the single game rushing mark, 275 yards, set at UAB on Nov. 3, 2004. You can’t help but wonder what the numbers would be like if he had four years here.

Hall is on this list of influential players despite the fact that his teams went only a combined 10-13 in 2004 and 2005.  His Bulls had a difficult 2004, finishing a disappointing 4-7.  But they rebounded in 2005, going 6-6.  Hall’s last USF game was the program’s first bowl game in Charlotte against North Carolina State.

As the Bulls came of age, moving from ....

Rest of Jim's report

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Probably my all time favorite Bull.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

So the difference between Bull and Not A Bull is 9 games (referencing your well known regard to JPP's time here). Not even a full season difference. Very interesting, and great to know.

Andre Hall - USF's GOAT RB by far. Need another talent like that, hopefully we have one on the roster now.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

So fun to watch.

I would like another feature back.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

He was our Barry Sanders; he earned his own yards.

Imagine if we had him during the Grothe years.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

So the difference between Bull and Not A Bull is 9 games (referencing your well known regard to JPP's time here). Not even a full season difference. Very interesting, and great to know.

Andre Hall - USF's GOAT RB by far. Need another talent like that, hopefully we have one on the roster now.

Yep! Andre committed to come here and complete ALL of the allocated time that was available to him. Which I feel is important since he was a JC transfer. Four years is most memorable, three is acceptable, two is ok, one year...no way. So yes I am good with position of Hall vs. JPP.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  201
  • Days Won:  0

Still remember all the times the stadium announcers would say "Andre Hall with the ball" all game long.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

Grothe's thread is a few pages long, but THIS guy only gets 6 or 7 replies?!   Andre Hall was the best offensive player USF has ever had, this side of Marquel Blackwell, in my opinion.

Edited by BigShoop

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Grothe, all day long.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Grothe is my all time favorite and in my opinion the best player so far.  I loved watching Andre Hall every game but I never had the feeling we always had a chance when he was in there.

Edited by snarling Bull