• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Top 5 Impact players for Early playing time.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Hate to burst peoples bubble here because everyone keeps wanting to name all these receivers but you've really got to think about this.

Andre Davis is still here. He's going to get the lion's share of targets. Sean Price is still here. Mike McFarland is still here. Deonte Welch is still here. Chris Dunkley is still here. Derrick Hopkins is still here.

There's not been a material change to the receiving unit. For example last year Marcus Shaw took 156 carries, about 60% of all the RB carries. He's now gone. That's a big void some combination of players will need to fill.

The pass catchers have no void. But they DO have some talented players particularly Andre Davis, Sean Price, Mike McFarland and possibly Chris Dunkley that they're going to want to keep heavily involved.

Meanwhile we've got the same quarterbacks as a year ago...the ones that completed only 46% of their passes and therefore gave the pass catchers a total of 166 receptions to split up between them. I doubt that's going to jump up to 65% passing all the sudden.

Then on top of that, think about what CWT is really trying to be as a team, what he values. Think about Stanford. They had efficient passing over in Stanford this year but still had only 190 receptions to divvy up amongst their receivers...compared to a whopping 584 runs.

If we're talking about guys that make an "impact" by catching perhaps 6 to 8 passes on the year...ok I feel you, maybe we can start talking about some of the receivers. But I don't know that I would call that an impact.

Although I think Tyre McCants on special teams could be a good call. Add up his special teams work and the little bit of work he'll probably get on offense and I think that could add up to an impact. There's a chance there.

In actuality the Bulls are going to be so run-heavy that we should probably be naming both Marlon Mack AND De'Ernest Johnson instead of doing the one-or-the-other thing.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738

Hate to burst peoples bubble here because everyone keeps wanting to name all these receivers but you've really got to think about this.

Andre Davis is still here. He's going to get the lion's share of targets. Sean Price is still here. Mike McFarland is still here. Deonte Welch is still here. Chris Dunkley is still here. Derrick Hopkins is still here.

There's not been a material change to the receiving unit. For example last year Marcus Shaw took 156 carries, about 60% of all the RB carries. He's now gone. That's a big void some combination of players will need to fill.

The pass catchers have no void. But they DO have some talented players particularly Andre Davis, Sean Price, Mike McFarland and possibly Chris Dunkley that they're going to want to keep heavily involved.

Meanwhile we've got the same quarterbacks as a year ago...the ones that completed only 46% of their passes and therefore gave the pass catchers a total of 166 receptions to split up between them. I doubt that's going to jump up to 65% passing all the sudden.

Then on top of that, think about what CWT is really trying to be as a team, what he values. Think about Stanford. They had efficient passing over in Stanford this year but still had only 190 receptions to divvy up amongst their receivers...compared to a whopping 584 runs.

If we're talking about guys that make an "impact" by catching perhaps 6 to 8 passes on the year...ok I feel you, maybe we can start talking about some of the receivers. But I don't know that I would call that an impact.

Although I think Tyre McCants on special teams could be a good call. Add up his special teams work and the little bit of work he'll probably get on offense and I think that could add up to an impact. There's a chance there.

In actuality the Bulls are going to be so run-heavy that we should probably be naming both Marlon Mack AND De'Ernest Johnson instead of doing the one-or-the-other thing.

I agree with your premise, but Hopkins is gone.  Rodney Adams will get added to the mix though.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Andre Davis doesn't need to be on the field running routes every down like last season. It's my opinion with talent like bronson and mccants you can keep Davis and dunkley fresh and see if secondaries will get tired. I think Davis needs the competition honestly and nobody has been here to push him.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I agree with your run heavy perspective, but wouldn't dismiss some of the WR/ST contributors. Adams is a great ATH. what he does is up to him. McCants is a force. He will not be kept off the field. Johnson is awfully smooth.

Welch, Dunk and even Davis have been wildly inconsistent. Not all blame is laid at their door, but you have to CATCH THE BALL. Your analysis sounds a lot like The noobs would have to supplant vets. My read is more like Taggs let's the fur fly and whoever wins the job, wins it. Grt opportunity for new signees

I think bottom line is that a lot of this is about FB IQ. Whoever learns his playbook, gets a shot.

Man it's great to be talking about football again.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957

If this is about football IQ that favors the freshmen even LESS.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Yeah, I guess none of the Freshmen out of our most celebrated class ever, will have an impact.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Yeah, I guess none of the Freshmen out of our most celebrated class ever, will have an impact.

Where did anyone say that?

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,072
  • Days Won:  172

Flowers

Flowers

Flowers

Flowers

Flowers

If that's the case, we're probably in trouble

you are on the right track

without much improved qb play we will have no impact players on offense

flowers has as much chance as any of the qbs

the qb play last year was horrible

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

I think Gagged hit the nail on the head. IF the recievers actually CATCH the catchable balls we will see significant improvement from the QB position. I think it's foolish that everyone continues to bash the qb play and NOT the O-line and recievers. The OFFENSE WAS TERRIBLE last year. ALL of them.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

If the new receivers can't outdo the piss poor effort and performance of the receiving corps last season, we may be in for more years of mediocrity.