• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Top 5 Impact players for Early playing time.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Mayes is a partial qualifier, so he can practice but can't play IIRC.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

Corey Bender â€@Corey_Bender 9m

Defensive end Eric Mayes won't be eligible to play until the 2015 season, per coach Taggart. #USF

Corey Bender â€@Corey_Bender 59s

The NCAA ruled Eric Mayes as a partial qualifier, meaning he can still go to school at #USF, but cannot participate with the team until 2015

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  1

1. Jamie Byrd

2. Demetrius Hill

3. LeGrande Harley

4. Marlon Mack

5. Tyre McCants

Edited by KevinUSF00

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Have to have byrd and hill in there. They will likely start.

For the true frosh, i think dee johnson, jimmy bayes and tyre mccants will be impact players this year.

Hopefully flowers can redshirt unless they have a Greg Ward type qb package for him

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

The funny thing about it is that flowers is probably too good to keep off the field if talent evaluators at every major college is correct. He'll prob redshirt unless we can't get in the endzone in the first 3 games consistently.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957

Not sure I'd count on any receivers to make an immediate impact, for a number of reasons. As many have already stated, Tyre McCants sticks out like a sore thumb. I suppose if any young guy at that position stands a chance it would be him. But I don't think any young guy will really make an impact there.

The RB position is one that stands out as a place where a young kid could make an impression, like Darius Tice did a year ago becoming the second-leading rusher on the team. He was the young guy at that position a year ago I thought could make an early impact because he had the vision to be a safe runner, picking and choosing his holes wisely and not letting the play call down. He wasn't the most physically impressive guy, didn't have the sexy power or tantalyzing tackle-break ability that many were looking for with other guys...but I knew from a coaching standpoint his vision in the backfield would make the coaches feel safe giving him the ball.

There's no Marcus Shaw to dominate the position this year and as I stated before, Tice is not exactly a physically dynamic player. He's a trustworthy player but not necessarily a physically compelling one. So this position is a lot more open than a year ago.

And the guy I like to rise to the top among the young runners is Marlon Mack. With all due respect to De'Ernest Johnson, I thought Marlon Mack's tape stood out more. Mack has the vision that stood out to me with Darius Tice, but he's also got physically dynamic abilities. Some of the things that Mack sees from the backfield are very impressive as he recognizes threats quickly and even sees threats at the second level. He's able to use his speed, agility and size to capitalize on his vision.

Edited by ckparrothead

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957

I think OL Michael Galati has an outside shot to end up on the field. He's been a favorite of mine for a while. The Bulls should by all means have their starters set but Galati has versatility and polish working in his favor and that means he could end up on the field due to an injury at really any of the positions.

Otherwise I think OLB Jimmy Bayes is an obvious choice for playing immediately.

Wouldn't discount Vincent Jackson from sticking his nose in there at linebacker.

Devin Abraham is another kid with the versatility and background to end up on the field in the secondary even as a young guy. I don't know about impact, though personally I do expect him to be a ballhawk like his dad, but I think he could end up on the field some...which is more than you'd say about most freshmen.

I'm not mentioning the JUCO guys because that kind of goes without saying.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  3

Flowers

Flowers

Flowers

Flowers

Flowers

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Flowers

Flowers

Flowers

Flowers

Flowers

If that's the case, we're probably in trouble

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Flowers

Flowers

Flowers

Flowers

Flowers

If that's the case, we're probably in trouble

+1

Let him sit and learn the system.  Mike White is just a sophomore and Bench still can play.  One of those two should be able to distribute the ball to playmakers well enough. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Bronson (WR)

McCants (Special Teams)

Mack/Johnson (RB) [1 of them will play this year]

Adams (WR)

Byrd (DB)