• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brett Kean QB 2015 OH 6'2"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Keep waiting for someone to bring up his feet which are clearly his best attribute. Instead I keep seeing "big throws", "quick release" and "live arm"...even though velocity and release are probably the weakest part of his game.

His feet are tremendous. They're going to need to work with him on his release and velocity. The accuracy is there, but a lot of that is the feet.

It's great to have you back posting here CK! Your insight on these player evaluations are always great to read, you pick up on things I'd never even think to notice.

• Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Yea good points about his feet, but as a defense we've seen two of the best mobile qbs at this school recently so it takes quite a bit of scrambling to impress me at least.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

Yea good points about his feet, but as a defense we've seen two of the best mobile qbs at this school recently so it takes quite a bit of scrambling to impress me at least.

Same.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

When I say he has good feet that doesn't necessarily mean he's a great scrambler.

Jimmy Garoppolo who was just drafted by the Patriots in the 2nd round had some of the quickest feet I've seen in an NFL prospect. Trent Green also had great feet. Nobody's confusing either of those guys for scramblers.

It's about how quickly he moves his feet in his drop back, how much depth he's able to get as he pops back, the quickness with which he can set up the throw, and the balance he can achieve while doing everything so quickly. All of those things for him are very good especially for someone still a year away from getting out of high school. Quick feet usually belie a quick mind.

That doesn't mean he's perfect from the waist down. I think there are things a technician quarterbacks coach will want to work with him on like how wide he keeps his feet, not getting his feet crossed, being more consistent in pointing his toe, and not drifting during his drop. Those are just my guesses but I'm not an expert. I'm not intrigued by his feet because he's doing it perfectly every time. I'm intrigued because of some of his intrinsic capabilities that way.

And yeah on top of that he also appears to be a pretty good scrambler. Very elusive.

It's from the waist up...that's going to be the real adventure from the standpoint of his quarterbacks coach. If the kid has good feet then he's got a great base with which to work (literally) but the coaches are going to have to try and help him build his release better from the waist up.

Believe it or not I've heard coaches say they'd rather have a quarterback with great footwork rather than a guy that's doing it right from the waist up. I've also heard a fair number of hall of fame quarterbacks talk about accuracy being all guided by the feet. Hopefully the kid can cut down on wasteful wrist movement, speed up his delivery and get better weight transfer.

Edited by ckparrothead
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Hahaha.

That dude is far from "perfect from the waist down."

• Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Hahaha.

That dude is far from "perfect from the waist down."

Really? That's what you took from that? Cmon man

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  247
  • Days Won:  0

RB seems like an area I'm feeling good about. But you always want the best you can get.

Now...when will we get our coveted QB???

We have Brett Kean

http://247sports.com/Player/Brett-Kean-38199

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

RB seems like an area I'm feeling good about. But you always want the best you can get.

Now...when will we get our coveted QB???

We have Brett Kean

http://247sports.com/Player/Brett-Kean-38199

He said "coveted".

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Can Kean run a little but if AF offered? Or is he just smart as hell and better than an Ivy League talent?